Sign in to follow this  
lordprimate

SweetFX in Arma 3

I don't understand where you got this agression. I working with photo and CG 12 years and belive me, that i know whats mean the colors. And i know that consumers loving heightened sharp, contrast and saturation images. People like "more" that's all. But if you want to boost you color expirience you need to choose IPS panel with ~100% rgb for color and gradients. And small pixels pitch for nice details and sharpness. SweetFX not able to give more! colors. And this is are real difference between eyevision and sRGB renders.

User potentional cheaters because they can increase saturation that cause color clipping, i.e. destroy the colors. The fewer colors the easier to detect anything. Also gamma, whites, black and etc.

Sometime, in some games this tool can be used for changing RGB balance or sharpening. But Arma3 already have nice balance, and decent saturation , and people, as i say, almost wrong with colors and white balance.

Edited by Anachoretes

It seems as if you don't like SweetFX and as if you are satisfied with the default A3 settings.

A lot of other players are not. So how about you just leave this thread/tool be and stop confusing/trolling people with hair-raising cheater accusations?

I don't understand where you got this agression. I working with photo and CG 12 years and belive me, that i know whats mean the colors. And i know that consumers loving heightened sharp, contrast and saturation images. People like "more" that's all. But if you want to boost you color expirience you need to choose IPS panel with ~100% rgb for color and gradients. And small pixels pitch for nice details and sharpness. SweetFX not able to give more! colors. And this is are real difference between eyevision and sRGB renders.

User potentional cheaters because they can increase saturation that cause color clipping, i.e. destroy the colors. The fewer colors the easier to detect anything. Also gamma, whites, black and etc.

Sometime, in some games this tool can be used for changing RGB balance or sharpening. But Arma3 already have nice balance, and decent saturation , and people, as i say, almost wrong with colors and white balance.

I don't think that it's the actual picture that you see on your screen that matters. It's how you experience it and interpret it. It's subjective, not objective. Professionals like you might be able to interpret/understand the picture more objectively, but it doesn't change the situation for regular user. I fully agree that if you really want to see colors and better image quality in general in games, IPS screen with wide color gamut and high static contrast is the way to go. But if you don't have enough money and/or you just want to tweak the picture so that you like it, it doesn't matter if it is technically bad solution. Using SweetFX might not add any colors to the game or make the picture any better technically, but it might make it to look like it for regular user, and that's what matters, not the actual change. The actual perception happens in our brains, not in our eyes. "Untrained" brains of regular players, unlike yours, are likely to interpret the changes in picture as positive despite of their destructive nature, that "trained" brains often interpret as negative effect. Even I use aggressive and destructive effects of SweetFX even though I, as semi-professional photographer, understand and am able to see how they make the picture look technically worse like the clipping of whites and blacks and colors becoming out-of-gamut, but I don't care. It makes the picture to look even better to me, and that's what matters.

And the cheating... If someone really wants to make the graphics of the game to look like they were made with Paint to get a couple more kills, I think that they're the ones who are loosing... Couldn't care less if someone's using a "cheat" like that. There are multiple easier, unavoidable, more effective and natively supported ways to use these kind of cheats even in the core game (eg. increasing gamma at night or simply lowering your video settings to simplify the picture, eg. competitive gamers do that very, very often), so I can't see SweetFX as any kind of evil cheat tool. If you want cheat-free experience, you can always join a squad, clan, community or such and have fun with them. If something like this makes someone anxious because of possibly "cheating" opponents, no-one forces anyone to play with them. There are always better options and you have the freedom to select the company with whom you're playing. It's all about the ability to adapt to the situation, and if it feels impossible, I'd just stop playing games and do something else that I might actually enjoy.

wide color gamut

Nope. Wide gamut mean Adobe RGB gamut and this something what needed for 5% photographers. For games you need something close to 100% sRGB.

but it might make it to look like it for regular user, and that's what matters, not the actual change

Such results occur in brains that have no knowledge basement. I mean knowledge about how it looks in real. Craving for truth: taking photos, understanding nature of color , what mean white balance, etc. This is not a justification.

The actual perception happens in our brains, not in our eyes.

This is called apperception. That's why I tell people about it. Because this is something that can't be detected by the natural. I'm not trying to stop anyone from using it. (Although if you come to play chess, what is the difference if you have pale figures.) I like when things properly evaluated. And SweetFX is just are toy that gives people ability to change something. Arma 3 looks natural, and Arma 2 was.

[---]

Nope. Wide gamut mean Adobe RGB gamut and this something what needed for 5% photographers. For games you need something close to 100% sRGB.

[---]

Such results occur in brains that have no knowledge basement. I mean knowledge about how it looks in real. Craving for truth: taking photos, understanding nature of color , what mean white balance, etc. This is not a justification.

[---]

This is called apperception. That's why I tell people about it. Because this is something that can't be detected by the natural. I'm not trying to stop anyone from using it. (Although if you come to play chess, what is the difference if you have pale figures.) I like when things properly evaluated. And SweetFX is just are toy that gives people ability to change something. Arma 3 looks natural, and Arma 2 was.

Wide gamut also means a lot stronger and vibrant colors, because they're covered in AdobeRGB. That's why I said that if you really want to see strong colors, wide gamut screen is a good choice.

But why should regular user with no knowledge basement learn more about the subject and crave for truth if the tweaks made with SweetFX make the picture look better already for him/her? What do you achieve by using your time excessively to get as realistic picture as possible on your screen? Is the realistic picture intrinsic value in your opinion and if it is, why?

Arma 3 and Arma 2 have completely different lighting engines, so how can they both look natural?

Someone should contact Boris and convince him to make an ENBSeries exclusive to ArmA3 :)

Look at what he did to GTA IV - that game looks real now (O.O)

wide gamut screen is a good choice.

AdobeRGB gives strong(in blue and yellow)but wrong colors because all games created in\for sRGB. You need better sRGB panel.

so how can they both look natural?

Because of nice texturing etc.

---------- Post added at 16:47 ---------- Previous post was at 16:41 ----------

that game looks real now

Not real but harder for HW. Huge contributions for already balanced game. PC gamers like to improve, upgrade, etc. Improvements for improvements. This is a psychological factor.

Someone should contact Boris and convince him to make an ENBSeries exclusive to ArmA3 :)

Look at what he did to GTA IV - that game looks real now (O.O)

ENB Series and SweetFX use very similar (not sure if even the same) injectors than SweetFX.

It is up to your taste, to find the perfect setting.

You can download my approach here: http://www.gbb-multigaming.de/index.php?downloads-5

If you want to change something, i'd advise you not to overdo the sharpening.

Never mind, I just replied to a post that was several months old I believe :o

ENB Series and SweetFX use very similar (not sure if even the same) injectors than SweetFX.

It is up to your taste, to find the perfect setting.

You can download my approach here: http://www.gbb-multigaming.de/index.php?downloads-5

If you want to change something, i'd advise you not to overdo the sharpening.

ENBSeries for GTA IV made a HUGE difference.

Here's a screenshot I took. I wish SweetFX could make ArmA look like this :P

Also look at Skyrim with ENBSeries.

1A3F1AD7B5108FFDBACDB64006455BE3E8363455

in skyrim I experimented with enb a lot.

the guy added more functions, like refflection or different raindrops etc. basically its the same injector, but boris works on these things quite a lot.

yeah I wouldnt mind to use his settings, sofar every game with his injectors looked better - but all those games looked "gameish" before. arma already looks "good" in vanilla.

arma already looks "good" in vanilla.

There is still a lot of space above "good". ;)

There is still a lot of space above "good". ;)

To each their own. Personally I think Arma 3 vanilla looks better than any of the pictures I see above. Maybe a few adjustments to contrasts/digital vibrance is all. For GTA4 I fully agree that sweetfx gives fantastic results.

Maybe a few adjustments to contrasts

Gamma ~0,9. Brightness ~1,1.

There is still a lot of space above "good"

"Pursuit for ideal". I'm waiting when someone show this "above".

Edited by Anachoretes

I have to answer this. I prefer 2, 3 and 6. Those are very good shots because they aren't overdone. My settings also look like that because Arma looks just bit too grey in my eyes.

2,3,6 - have wrong colors. Red and Green channel is fly away.

Edited by Anachoretes

i guess 236 is higher contrast and or more vibrance or maybew just white gamma reduction - didnt put my glasses on. looks heavier. 145 looks more light. depends maybe on your monitor setup which one you like more.

i guess most of those settings can be altered like they did it with the oa patches in april / may 2012. there have been some threads about that. experimented with colours and hues...

I take it that it could be considered as cheating, anf I wont use it any longer if that would be the case - still I think its a great tool - thats features should be partly implemented maybe.

to give users control always satisifies them!

Edited by tremanarch

i'm using 1.2 for arma 2. Didn't use for arma 3. But damn, with 2.0 it looks like it should be, more contrast and vibrant. If you turn it off, you notice how mudly washed out, the picture looks, without sweet fx. I wonder why BIS still did not improve this sinc arma 2. Yes over all, it looks good, but for a reason, not enough contrast and colors. Eve i have 50k. dynamic contrast monitor, and encanced color saturation via nvidia control panel.

Is there a way to town down all sweet fx effects AT ONCE. Like if I wanted to have all my effects on but only at 50% overlay?

Greetz

Can somebody help me?

I downloaded the SweetFX program and did as I was told (put it into Arma folder:Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3). But when I tried clicking the game on Steam nothing happened. And when i clicked on the Arma 3 exe file itself I got this message:

"The procedure entry point Direct3DCreate9Ex could not be located in the dynamic link library d3d9.dll".

What have I done wrong?