Sign in to follow this  
roguetrooper

helicopters don't explode when crashing into ground

At least at the current dev-state (March 24) helicopters don't explode (any more?) when they crash into the ground.

Just place a flying helicopter in the editor with

this flyinheight 500; driver this setdamage 1;

They just hit the ground like a stone without exploding. Further, the main rotor of the KA-50 keeps spinning while the helicopter lies on the side.

maybe they are trying a crash mechanic? after all most helicopter won't explode like they do when they hit the ground

Like cars, unlike hollywood movies, they don´t explode so easy ;)

This is a very good thing - seeing your helicopter explode because a tiny bit of your front skid hit the ground was absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by Zeinger

Thank you BIS!

Always hated the certain death for everyone involved in a helicopter crash. Would make the game much more interesting when there is a chance to survive.

This is good.

They might be working on emergency/crash landings.

:bounce3:

A definite step in the right direction, but I wouldn't worry about it too much. Right now you can pretty much bounce the choppers off of hills and still fly (kind of like that Apache crash video, but without the crash at the end). It's definitely not finished.

The current non-explode behaviour when more or less "falling" down from half a kilometer (or more) is definetly no step into the right direction. Also the KA-60 lying on the side after having "fallen" from far above with its main rotor still spinning...

(Btw. I know, helicopters don't "fall" down, even with the engine not working the main rotor spins and prevents the copter from falling like a stone).

It shows they might be working on making it so vehicles don't explode any time they touch a solid object. I'd call that a step in the right direction. A step much too far in that direction, but the right direction none the less. :)

As I said, I doubt it's working as intended right now.

Just imagine crashing a chopper and actually surviving,in the middle of nowhere,enemies all around you.

I call that a win.:cool:

The current non-explode behaviour when more or less "falling" down from half a kilometer (or more) is definetly no step into the right direction. Also the KA-60 lying on the side after having "fallen" from far above with its main rotor still spinning...

(Btw. I know, helicopters don't "fall" down, even with the engine not working the main rotor spins and prevents the copter from falling like a stone).

I'm not sure why you expect a non functioning helicopter (aka a pile of metal) to explode when hitting the ground regardless of height.

Maybe if it had explosives on board. But the fuel isn't going to explode on impact.

eeh, I think people are over-doing the praise. I've literally never had a chopper explode when crashing in A3, even at speeds that should compact it into a tiny cube. It's gone too far in the other direction from A2's exploding due to slightly rough landing.

I'm not sure why you expect a non functioning helicopter (aka a pile of metal) to explode when hitting the ground regardless of height.

Maybe if it had explosives on board. But the fuel isn't going to explode on impact.

As Arma can't simulate mesh deformation and damage to the extent of, say, Il-2 Sturmovik it has to use explosions and blackened hulks to represent effects of high kinetic impacts. Seeing a helicopter bounce off the ground like a cricket ball after falling from a kilometer is considerably worse than seeing it explode on impact. At least the particle effects help hide the transition.

lol at people so obsessed with avoiding explosions like those dirty CoD games that they want to make Arma look even worse.

I like it, just means we wont have to restart a mission because some transport pilot got shot down and killed everyone.

shot one down earlier...it exploded when it hit the ground..pretty hard..

i agree it doesn't explode if they are not high and fast enough

imagine crashing a helicopter, and the rails get bent and glass flys everywhere.

In arma 2 (and previous, I think), if you kill a pilot, or if a helicopter crashes without a pilot, it is far less likely to take any damage than if there is someone in it in my experience. Does anyone else have similar experiences with the previous game?

On subject of helicopter crash...

at first I thought 'well thats easy, kill the crew' but if the crew of this can survive then damn.

The ability to tilt on its side is actually a great step in the right direction, the only problem is that the blades need to rip off, dissapear, whatever.

I like the idea if the helicopter doesn't explode so easily. More realistic:cool:

Also i think it will be a good idea for pilots or passgengers to get injuries from the crash too.

The Ka-60 had a crash in moscow i remember where pilots were taken to intensive care unit. The Ka-60 was doing a test flight when it suddenly fell to the ground probably due to engine failure.

The aviation experts say the pilots only survived because of the aircraft's efficient safety system.

Edited by vasmkd
more info

Don't worry, if they incorperate the ToH flight model the heli will probably be on the ground because it's rotors came off in the first place.

Some might already have seen this...

So I am fine with non-explosions on crash. There is no need for fireworks all the time.

And to think Boeing was worried about the survivability of the D's landing gear prior to Block III.

I bet betty was bitchin along with lots of beeping from the master warnings. Hate to see that WCA and fault list...

Just imagine crashing a chopper and actually surviving,in the middle of nowhere,enemies all around you.

I call that a win.:cool:

call that black hawk down

call that black hawk down

I actually had this situation playing around in the A3A editor.. flew a littlebird a few times over a load of enemy and after a while lost control of the helicopter due to damage. Hit the ground and survived then had a load of them hunting me down!

lol at people so obsessed with avoiding explosions like those dirty CoD games that they want to make Arma look even worse.

Wrong.

You seem to be new here, so I'll let you in on one the main values of the community.

Function over form, every time. Let that guide you in the future.

When it comes to pretty lighting effects, it does nothing to negatively impact gameplay, so go crazy.

---------- Post added at 11:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

On subject of helicopter crash...
at first I thought 'well thats easy, kill the crew' but if the crew of this can survive then damn.

"The helicopter was carrying ordinance."

Amen.