Sign in to follow this  
Bashka_IF

Сlouds should cast shadows

When should developers make effort into this ?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. When should developers make effort into this ?

• Now in alfa
    • When in beta
    • After release

I noticed that cloudiness only affects other shadows intensity, but clouds themselves do not cast shadows,

since Arma 3 has volumetric clouds it became possible to implement ground shadows from these clouds.

Please Bohemia do this !!!

IMG_1351.JPG

These volumetric clouds appear as 2D sprites on my end. They rotate and swivel wherever I go so I've disabled them.

Shadows from these do not sound promising, but otherwise I agree it is a good idea.

Exemple starts at 45seconds, and then again at 1:26

Would also be amazing to have volumetric lighting around those clouds, casting sun rays. Of course i think would be just asking too much, even though it really adds to the overall feel of reality

There is already a wishlist thread and a thread about TrueSky middleware (which ToH/A3 is using). Your suggestion would be more fitting there (and had been already discussed there). Please search before posting.

Vue is not a realtime engine. But, I understand that Truesky can do terrain cloud shadowing, the only thing is - can it sync the MP?

i was looking something similar myself for personal SP , its hard enough cant imagine what it might be like for MP

heree was an early WIp test video quick test

N_asxWLpWPo

You would need diffused edges, I think the gaming term is soft shadows. They cost a lot of processing/gpu power and I don't think add enough to game play to warrant spending any time on them when there is so much more stuff that needs doing. If they can implement it at a low processing cost then that would be great but should still have a low priority.

---------- Post added at 06:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:47 PM ----------

-EDIT-

Also when you are looking at these effects on things like the vue7 video, chances are that they are using a very powerful machine and that all of its power is being used to render a set sequence. To add all the extra things involved with intricate multiplayer game play would grind even a good gaming system to something horrible like 2 frames a second.

I remember being able to walk around on the floating island in 3dMark and check out all the amazing tessalization and thought this would make a great game. But just rendering the map had my GPU at 100% and even then the frames would drop down drastically sometimes. Imagine trying to get 40 fully textured players in there along with about a dozen customizations each. Then add a sea with a fully textured sea bed and then all the animals and stuff. Then add all the explosions and dynamic lighting from muzzle flash and flares etc... Maybe in a couple of years when hardware catches up.

Please use the thread Messiah linked to for posting wishlist type stuff. Closing.