Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

New Helicopter flight model by HTR dev

Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?

• Very much interested
    • Somehow interested
    • Not interested

"Helicopters can be realistic and easy to fly at the same time"

Ahmen to that.

Having tried "Take on Helicopters" I'm rather worried about it's implementation into ArmA. It might just be me, although judging by TKOH lack of success and various comments posted in various forums maybe not, it's just too damn difficult to fly. I just don't know whether it is down to my hamfistedness, lack of feeling of flight or if it is overly sensitive controls and control input sliders. It's just very difficult, possibly more difficult than it should be, so anything that improves the overall feeling and controllability of helicopter flying in ArmA 3 is to be welcomed with open arms.

I'm affraid that this will get burried and lost over time in the depth of the forums. And this is something it doesn't deserve.

As you surely will understand, the first reaction of BI devs probably will be like "oh look, another pro tries to tell us how we should do our work". That's not because of you, it's in the nature of a game forum. Often enough people know exactly how BI should do their work and when interviewed, they barely know much more than using (not writing) a pre-made script.

So my advice would be, create a portfolio of your work which shows what you can do, what you've already done, how you could be of help. Send this directly to Suma or Dwarden.

Personally i would love to see this in ArmA 3.

"I quite like the current flight model. I'm enjoying flying upside down."

You should be doomed to spend the rest of your life in "call of mommy", the super awsome new addon for call of black farts 8 :cool:

Myke, don't worry i'm awaiting his email ... :p

What infuriates me is the inability to rudder/pedal at any speed at all, this isn't correct helicopter physics at all ?

you can use rudder effective only on mid/low speed. on high speed it make your helicopter to shake from side to side but not turn.

read chikenhawk

First DCS Huey get's close to being released, DCS Mi-8, Cobra and Vietnam Warfare are going to be developed for DCS.

Now this:

Myke, don't worry i'm awaiting his email ... :p

It's going to be the best year for PC gaming EVER!

First DCS Huey get's close to being released, DCS Mi-8, Cobra and Vietnam Warfare are going to be developed for DCS.

Now this:

It's going to be the best year for PC gaming EVER!

I will end up with no sosial life if we get a proper heli flightmodel in Arma 3, my G940 hotas is longing for some realism bonanza.

I'm throwing my joystick at the screen but nothing is happening?

What infuriates me is the inability to rudder/pedal at any speed at all, this isn't correct helicopter physics at all ?

Maybe it would infuriate you a bit less if you actually learn something about helicopter physics. The faster you fly, the less effect does the backrotor have, untill to the point where it doesn't have any (desired) effects at all.

Wow, I did not expect so many replies in less than 48 hours... I am really suprised to learn that over 90% of the forum users are interested in realistic helicopter behaviors.

@Dwarden

I got your message, thank you, I will reply this evening as it deserves a detailed reply.

@Damacles

Hve you tried TKOH with my physics adjustments for Light and Medium? This is the best I could do without access to the physics engine but the helicopter are much easier to control whilst more realistic you can find the thread here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145171-Advanced-Flight-Model-based-on-HTR

@Myke

portfolio is already there, HTR for FSX is being tested by several real pilots and instructors and I also got a few proposals to develop some serious simulation software. It is also used in some flight schools for training. in Arma3 having AFCS and larger helicopters will make flying much easier.

Thanks!

Fred

fred64 - you might have single handedly added something to A3 - or be in the ability to to so, that will make the game so much more worth it, even in this very early stage.

I would like to thank you for putting in that much effort. To be willing to share your work and time within this community is not only an advancement for you, but for everyone that enjoys arma only since recently but also for old arma veterans.

Oh hey..I remember reading your you from here.. http://combathelo.blogspot.com/2010/07/combat-helo-to-use-htr-technology-for.html

Wow, I did not expect so many replies in less than 48 hours... I am really suprised to learn that over 90% of the forum users are interested in realistic helicopter behaviors.

Many of us are are all about more realism of the way things handle and function.

Checking out your mod and I'm really liking what I'm seeing in your manual along with how responsive and assisting you are on your forums. Tandmen, notar, and even coaxial? Very impressive stuff.

Will be checking out your TKOH profiles, shame I missed them before.

Edited by NodUnit

This sounds great. And I'm hoping that BI will somehow arrange it with him ( Really nice that they actually respond to this thread, never seen any other game company do this before ).

If BI and Fred can make this happen it´s the best news so far, after the releasenews of Arma3 Alpha itself :yay:

Huge thanks to Fred and BI for opening up for the possibility of more realism.

Yes, please make this happen! No game has both realistic ground combat and realistic helicopter flight model, but I think Arma3 has potential for that now.

I never played fsx but I would love to have something comparable to DCS: BS2. I miss the ABRIS :(

@Dwarden

I got your message, thank you, I will reply this evening as it deserves a detailed reply.

@Damacles

Hve you tried TKOH with my physics adjustments for Light and Medium? This is the best I could do without access to the physics engine but the helicopter are much easier to control whilst more realistic you can find the thread here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?145171-Advanced-Flight-Model-based-on-HTR

@Myke

portfolio is already there, HTR for FSX is being tested by several real pilots and instructors and I also got a few proposals to develop some serious simulation software. It is also used in some flight schools for training. in Arma3 having AFCS and larger helicopters will make flying much easier.

Thanks!

Fred

Will you please keep us updated Fred64, thanks buddy:rthumb: