Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

New Helicopter flight model by HTR dev

Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?

• Very much interested
    • Somehow interested
    • Not interested

So much want! I love realistic flight simulators! Only really fly fixed wing, but I would love to learn rotary!

While this is very very interesting and 99% of us indeedlydoodly do want, sadly it may not be added to the game for many various reasons that I don't even know about, I just get the feeling this isn't something they just "go and do".

I've made my very first tread that's actually useful and it's also about helicopters.

You might want to read the whole thing, but if you only worry about helicopters, read the last line :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151685-Compilation-of-issues-I-ve-found-or-read-about-intensively&p=2355320&mode=linear#post2355320

Edited by Fap

This is looking really good, I really hope that Fred gets to work with BI on this because as a future pilot myself, this would make this game so much more richer. Here is to hope!

I think this could only be a good thing, the current model works in a purely utilitarian sense but is very simplistic and allows you to fly in a way that simply shouldn't be possible, the ToH model on the other hand is a definite step up in detail and simulation but it still has problems which actually make it harder to fly than irl (by all accounts). Seems to me this could be a very good thing indeed.

Tested the HTR for Take On Helicopters since yesterday. This in combination with Pilot4Hire mission have bring me ToH back... Amazing flight dynamics! Definetly ArmA 3 needs this!! And well, a start up system like the ToH one would be nice, so no more "Q" and lets fly :P

as an airplane enthusiastic and flight sim fan (dcs black shark , falcon bms(king of the hill), dcs a-10 )I would really like to see this !! everything to add realism and real feel to arma is appreciated !! I been cursin the too arcade feel that arma has on helos and even worse with airplanes :/

Hi Fred, unfortunately i have never had the chance to try your mods, but since i read all these good references on this forum, i became kinda excited and hope you will be able the make some agreement with BIS.

Wishing good luck...

Yes,that would be totally awsome.I don't know if it is needed,but can anyone create a ticket for this at the feedback tracker so BI consider it?

yes, yes yes, once i get DCS: Huey, there's no turning back. The A-10 already spoiled me, High Fidelity all the things!

While this is very very interesting and 99% of us indeedlydoodly do want, sadly it may not be added to the game for many various reasons that I don't even know about, I just get the feeling this isn't something they just "go and do".

I've made my very first tread that's actually useful and it's also about helicopters.

You might want to read the whole thing, but if you only worry about helicopters, read the last line :)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151685-Compilation-of-issues-I-ve-found-or-read-about-intensively&p=2355320&mode=linear#post2355320

erhm how can u know it can't be added if u don't even know the reasons why i coulden't be added?! :D imho your comment makes no sense and seems like a classic: " I have this feeling but actually I dont know shit" comment. not meant as an offence ...

Edited by SissiSaatana
typos

Actually, I don't really think a realistic flight model for helicopter makes much sense in Arma 3. It's not a flight simulator, things will always be simplified; the same goes for planes. It's main focus is infantry, and I don't think it's a good idea to shift it.

yeah!, whatever.

Perhaps all models not related to infantery should be square boxes, so they not take away focus on Arma 3 "the walking simulator" part.

In fact the terrain/trees is too distracting, make boxes out of it all:bounce3:

Let´s get focused big time on simulating boots properly, every detail must be explored vigorously:dancehead:

The integration of a simulator style flight model would be amazing. In general I am a poor pilot in the arma series. This simply due to the massive arcade feel of the aircrafts and they dont react to my maneuvers the way I expect them to.

As a fan of Take On Helicopters I fly only on expert. I got to try out your HSim mod a few days after your initial release and it was a huge improvement even with your stated limitations. I continue to use every time I play TKOH. I would love to see what you could do to bring a realistic flight model to Arma 3.

I'm not being an elitist for realism, but I do believe the arma series is based on a decent degree of realism and simulator gameplay. The realistic feel should not end with infantry. It should extend to all aspects gameplay.

I can't wait to see where this goes; whether you get contracted out to help with actual game development, a consult, or just create a mod similar to take on helicopters. From what I've seen of your work everything you touch improves drastically.

I played FSX for two years straight and I stumbled on this thread this morning. I almost dropped my coffee on my desk. HTR is the stuff!

I will be brief. If HTR make it to Arma 3, get ready to see a wave of flight sims players joining the Arma ranks. It will be nice to get a bunch of strong pilot in the multiplayer community!

I even think that Arma would sell a LOT in the flight sim community as well. Nothing is more interesting for virtual pilots then having that feeling of accomplishment by providing air support for human controlled soldier on the ground.

It will raise Arma 3 to a new level for sure!

Actually i would say : Use easier fligt model and one button to start and have the aircraft in the air for - RECRUIT,REGULAR

And use HTR as realistic flight model as possible , with every button of the aircraft needed to press in the correct order to start the vehicle and engage targets for - VETERAN,EXPERT

So all in all make it like this so all the kids dont´t whine who are incapable of handling complex flight simulation

RECRUIT, REGULAR = ArmA 2 Flightmodel with one button to start the engine

VETERAN, EXPERT = X-Plane 10 Flightmodel with comlexity of buttons/switches of DCS: Black Shark/A-10

i would love to see a higher level of simulation on choppers and planes and tanks etc etc if its a swicth so newcomers can still use old style.

Actually, I don't really think a realistic flight model for helicopter makes much sense in Arma 3. It's not a flight simulator, things will always be simplified; the same goes for planes. It's main focus is infantry, and I don't think it's a good idea to shift it.

Arma has always been about combined arms yes, but why should that fact alone limit a it's capacity?

All too often I see this reason pop up, it's not focused to this, it's not focused to that. This...I just don't understand it, why should we want to impede progress, to willingly halt what the engine is capable of?

I can understand that logistics may not be feaseable, the vast array of what must already be done and the fact that Arma 3's current goal is to sharpen rough edges but to say that it should not be expended upon simply because it should be focused on a limited capacity? Why actively seek to hold it back?

Edited by NodUnit

The Flyght Model for ArmA3 should definitly be fred64&BIS'ed

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Let the realism of the flying be chosen by Server Admins with Difficulty Settings.

I would love to fly on high realism and give my mates on the ground some nice CAS.

I am also sure that a lot of flight sim players would love this uniqe Game Mix from Infantry Fights and Air-Sim.

--> Next level Gaming relativly easy reached with that. Do it BIS

Hello there

Whilst I mainly play as inf, I too would like to see a far more sim like flight model.

BUT, make it server configurable, that way the casual player has a simplified model and the hardcore among us can get excited about start up sequences.

As OP says, complex does not have to be hard, but it can be much more immersive. I'd like to feel I'm actually handling a plane/tank/helicopter rather than playing a game of Battlezone. I don't really care if Arma is technically a game/sim/small fruit, due to modding it can be whatever we want it to be.

I would also like it to affect AI, but that's not high on my personal list.

Rgds

LoK

I always thought OFP/ArmA/ArmA2 as the ultimate military sim. I love combined arms. It rocks. Just the "More than one way to skin a cat." approach, makes this sim unique. A true environment in witch to maneuver and use real world strategy and tactics.

The biggest show stopper IMHO has always been the flight models. I can't tell you how many guys who can fly, won't play because of the flight model, let alone buy the game. These are guys that are jazzed about Air Assault. I think ArmA misses out on entire sectors of player base because of it.

There's plenty of room for improvement without diluting the infantry focus.

It should be configurable.

Go ArmA

---------- Post added at 17:19 ---------- Previous post was at 17:14 ----------

Let the realism of the flying be chosen by Server Admins with Difficulty Settings.

I would love to fly on high realism and give my mates on the ground some nice CAS.

I am also sure that a lot of flight sim players would love this uniqe Game Mix from Infantry Fights and Air-Sim.

--> Next level Gaming relativly easy reached with that. Do it BIS

Hi all,

+1 let server admins to set the difficulty could be good.

Even if we don't have a Good air simulator like FALCON 4.0 BMS , just a better flight model will change lot of things in game ... And add more fun / difficulty / realism.

Edited by izaiak

Please!!! I just got into Hovercontrol and the HTR mod for FSX. This would be epic.