Sign in to follow this  
FredAirland

New Helicopter flight model by HTR dev

Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?  

409 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be interested in an advanced helicopter flight model for Arma 3 ?

• Very much interested
    • Somehow interested
    • Not interested

Hi,

I am the author of Helicopter Total Realism HTR, a free physics add used in FSX.

I am not a professional game programmer, but I do develop in my real life,and have physics / aerodynamics experience at university level.

5 years ago I started developing HTR for fun and hobby. After several months of study and feedback from real pilots, HTR is now a very mature product that will be used in other sims and projects (FSX, Prepar3d, DCS, Combat Helo). I believe it will de facto become the helicopter physics standard for games in a couple of years.

I see Bistudio struggling between a simplified flight model and and porting thr TKOH flight model ARMA3 but I believe that, due to the way Rotorlib was setup, there's a wrong perception about realism and difficulty in flying helicopters.

Here's my statement

Helicopters can be realistic and easy to fly at the same time

Especially military helicopters with assisted flight control systems...

I read somewhere that a bistudio physics programmer spent one month fixing the flight model in RotorLib. There's something wrong there... At hovercontrol, I have over 40 flight models developed by normal people (modders) spending no more than a few evenings of their free time and having fun while at it. I did some fixes to the Rotorlib files within the software limitations, it took me around 4 hours in total (from pbo extraction to release) but I also saw the limitations there are.

What I would like the ARMA3 flight model to be (and I know exactly how to do this)

1. relativery easy for the average player, whilst fully realistic if needed (easy to do)

2. usable by AI (I did it in HTR, check the AFCS system and autohover feature, it is the computer that controls the helicopter)

3. optional ultra realistic helicopter flight characteristics including ground effect, updrifts/downdrifts, vortex ring state, retreating blade stall, altitude effects, translating tendency (well check HTR pdf manual...)

I don't want in any way to criticize the work done so far in ARMA3 , which is fantastic and will I am sure mark the simulation business for years to come. I just want to help Bistudio to make ARMA3 an even better product. So I am offering my free advice, and if needed hours of sweat to make it happen....

Fred

Errare humanum est, perseverare autem diabolicum, et tertia non datur (To err is human; to persist is of the devil, and the third possibility is not given).

Edited by fred64

once RotorLib comes available in A3 and people can merge TKOH data with A3, as well as A2/OA (official and community choppers lacking the new FM), the interest and range of possibilities will be big I'd say

I just want to help Bistudio to make ARMA3 an even better product. So I am offering my free advice, and if needed hours of sweat to make it happen....

Good man, I'm sure everybody here would be stoked to see this. Just keep in mind that as vendors of a for-profit product it's probably not always straight-forward for BIS to take-up such offers. I think as kju has suggested, modding is the path forward, hope BIS will provide all the required hooks.

I use HTR for FSX and is outstanding. If BI would like to get in touch with you, then Arma 3 will be, definetly, much better.

Having a realistic helicopter behavior would be amazing, and I very much appreciate the work u already did for TOH!

Having a professional at work for the helicopter model would help the sim a big deal IMHO.

Cheers

Crusader

Fred- You're the man!

I kind of understand if they refuse to get a "free help", but It'd be awesome if they could let You merge HTR even as external module (like FSX). Actually I'd say it's the way to go- I tried to explain that realistic helicopter behaviour is much easier to controll than people are affraid of (I think RL pilots would be in a lot of trouble if helicopters behave like TOH default physics); but there are so many whiners who cannot understand how You can easy fly with realism tuned down if You fly with kb/m. If we got an external module You could update and modify it as often as You wish, with merged sollution everything had to go through busy BiS (;)), and those affraid of it could just skip it (apparently switching it off in game options is too much of a hassle for them).

On the side note- I already mentioned in on TOH forums, but I was contacted by one guy involved in an army training who asked me if it is possible to make an realistic hardware helicopter simulator within VBS. With HTR avaliable for Arma3, VBS version could probably be achieved too, and my explanation to that guy would be much less complicated, and frankly speaking- different...

BiS- there is a vast group of helicopter enthusiasts who are very experienced with making and tweaking helicopter physics, give us a green light and proper physics would appear in a no time. No man hour (sorry, man months) required for Your physics programmer (no offence, but there are guys who were doing it for years now, and two of them made the best mods for TOH light model physics on their own!).

I really hope for an answer here from someone from BiS

Thanks!

It would take Arma 3 to the skies even more :bounce3:, please please please make this happen.

Yup,

yup, ypu,

yup, yup yup yes yes yes SO MANY YES. It would ignorant of BI not to include your work.

only what i need is. no tab and fire rockets. and no all killing rocket. ( arma2 ka52 with als tagged rockets air land sea - behind the hills with no visible line - see or not see tab and fire - and then not one rocket hit next no - shot 10 rockets in seconds on differnd targeds .... very bad for the dudes who play on all sides humans and ai :( )

OP: If BIS can’t take this on for any reason, would it be possible to do just as a mod/addon ?

The look of what your proposing is great, hope that something positive comes of it..:)

The poll is missing an option: HELLS YES!

I tip my hat to you, sir.

I quite like the current flight model. I'm enjoying flying upside down.

Man this poll surely united the community. BIS has to listen now.

This and Franze & Team AH-64 is one of my most anticipated mods for A3.