Sign in to follow this  
Kildar

Mission Requests?

Starting to get back into mission making after a hiatus from A2, and was wondering if anyone has a scenario in mind that they'd like to see done. Ideally these missions would feature straightforward objectives and no respawn.

PM'd a possible mission concept in the form of a hypothetical briefing, thought you might be interested but I would prefer to keep conversation on that private if you don't mind.

Hey Kildar! Glad to see you are back in action. I'll try to come up with ideas for missions. No-resapwn missions are really required now, another reason to be happy on your return.By the way, now that you are back, will you fix the bugs in your Arma 2 missions?

I Wish we had more small size missions (3-5 Coop) with variable objectives and random enemy position ranging from surface to water and with heavy penalty to respawn like 2 mins or worse.

Usually starting with few equipment is more fun as it implies the seek for better weapons and stuff.

Edited by Desaix

Hey Kildar! Glad to see you are back in action. I'll try to come up with ideas for missions. No-resapwn missions are really required now, another reason to be happy on your return.By the way, now that you are back, will you fix the bugs in your Arma 2 missions?

Thanks for the welcome Variable! I'll try to get around to fixing my A2 missions. If you just revisit that thread (link should be in my sig) and make sure all the bugs you remember are listed it would be much appreciated!

I Wish we had more small size missions (3-5 Coop) with variable objectives and random enemy position ranging from surface to water and with heavy penalty to respawn like 2 mins or worse.

Usually starting with few equipment is more fun as it implies the seek for better weapons and stuff.

That's exactly what I'm striving for. If you had specific scenarios in mind feel free to share. All the weapons are pretty much equal, but I'll consider starting off with ironsights, or at least unmagnified optics to force better maneuvering and suppression more. Also, has anyone noticed if gear is selectable in briefings a la A2/OA?

Seems like that gear isn't selecting in briefing like A2/OA on ARMA 3. I tested it myself. Hopefully they implement this later in the future. You're going to have to stick to ammoboxes for now.

That's exactly what I'm striving for.

Please, Please stick to missions with NONE, SIDE or GROUP respawn type. You are one of the few authors who keeps it real without multiple lives...

Please, Please stick to missions with NONE, SIDE or GROUP respawn type. You are one of the few authors who keeps it real without multiple lives...

Whoops forgot to add that tidbit. Don't worry Variable :)

Actually sorry Desaix. Should have read a little closer, but dynamic objectives are a bit out of my current abilities, and not exactly what I was going for. I don't know if you've ever played missions by Sanders but I can only hope to emulate him.

Edited by Kildar

I don't know if this fits into "side" or "group" respawn(s), but I had the idea of a somewhat time-limited co-op mission where you can determine whether or not a reserve squad of AI is used at the beginning of the mission and deployed alongside yours once you both reach the area of operations. If the player squad is wiped out but the reserve squad was not deployed then the players can all respawn just at the forward spawn as that reserve squad and thus "get back into the action" right away; otherwise a wiped player squad must respawn at the start point and de facto start over, whatever the deployed reserve squad's status may be (doing fine, in trouble, wiped).

The idea is that while respawns would be nominally indefinite, in practice there are only so many attempts/respawns that can be made before the (moving) target successfully escapes, and the decision about that reserve squad is supposed to be a tradeoff of "having fewer people in the action (i.e. fewer rifles pointed at the enemy) but faster respawn if you go down versus having more people in the action from the start but having to start over if you go down".

Group and side respawn simply means once you die you shift control into available (usually AI controlled) units of the appropriate category. When there are no more units, you become a seagull, and when everyone is dead the mission is failed.

I feel that respawns beyond these are more appropriate for more persistent game modes such as Domination and TDM that allow players to jump in and out at their leisure and where restarting a mission can be detrimental to high player counts. The missions I have in mind are more along the lines of: your squad is sent in to take an objective, do your best with what you have. As such, I generally have group respawn missions, although I have started adding AI controlled friendly forces to give my missions more ambiance and scale.

With regards to getting a second chance, Arma does have a save function dependent on difficulty, although I try to limit its use to saving gear loadouts at the start, or if I've had to travel a ridiculously long distance to the objective. As for starting over, well, you can just restart.

That being said, hopefully you'll enjoy my missions nonetheless.

In that case, the above proposal is meant as a variation on group/side respawn, and if need be I would say that "if the player leader makes the decision to deploy the reserve squad at the start of the mission, then they become changed to NPC-only instead of playable".

Whoops forgot to add that tidbit. Don't worry Variable :)

Actually sorry Desaix. Should have read a little closer, but dynamic objectives are a bit out of my current abilities, and not exactly what I was going for. I don't know if you've ever played missions by Sanders but I can only hope to emulate him.

Don't worry. Fixed objectives are anyway great as long as there's a high degree of freedom about the means to get them.

Not sure if doable, but a general countdown could add enough suspence, something like you must find the team in a given location for evacuation in 1 hour no matter how many obectives have been completed. I like the feeling to finish the mission even without getting executed all goals. Maybe you can give a sort of score at the end. Coupled with random enemy location this could lead to an enhaced replicability.

Adding a helicopter trip should ba a must, maybe with some anti air weapon on enemy side that, if you fail to eliminate before, could make a serious treat afterward.