zodd

COMPLETE - Very simple silent takedown script (ZOD_STAKEDOWN)

This script simulates a silent attack (eg. knife) on an individual - If you get within range (2m in this case) you have the option (addaction - red, top most action) to do a 'silent takedown'

That will kill the unit to your immediate front (takes 1.5 seconds to complete the kill).

I would see it being used for silent takedowns of sentries etc. (Better than using silenced weapons as they still make some noise - disadvantage is it is riskier as you need to get very close and it isnt instant)

I have seen several threads (mainly in A3 forums) talking about silent takedowns for stealth missions and if BI will incorporate it... I thought it would be pretty simple to do so I had a crack at it. That is the story how this version of simple silent takedown script was born!

Updated!

V1.3 - http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151500-COMPLETE-Very-simple-silent-takedown-script-(ZOD_STAKEDOWN)&p=2360337&viewfull=1#post2360337

V1

1. Uses salute key as hotkey so you dont have to use the action menu (although that is still there if you want to use it that way!)

2. Basic setup in one line on any init field. Slightly more advanced setup (Chance of failure, specific units) through trigger and one line on act

3. Compatible with A2 and A3 with no editing

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19731

VERY difficult to do during the day. Much more feasible at night against an enemy without night vision!

Initial version (redundant)

It is VERY simple but does the job. To use:

1. Create a large trigger over your whole mission area (or at least the area that you want silent takedowns to be possible)

2. Set to Anybody, Present

3. In the init field put:

{_x addAction [("<t color=""#F60707"">" + ("Silent takedown") + "</t>"), "scripts\zod_stakedown.sqf","", 6, true, true, "", "(((_target distance _this)<2)&&((side _target != side _this)))"]} foreach thislist;

4. In your mission folder, create a folder called 'scripts' (if you havent already) and create a new script called "zod_stakedown.sqf"

5. Paste the following into that script:

_target = _this select 0;
_attacker = _this select 1;
_addaction = _this select 2;

_attacker action["SALUTE", _attacker];
sleep 1.5;
_target setDamage 1;
_target removeAction _addaction;

6. Save, play, enjoy.

Note that it will be a bit difficult to get close enough - You can edit <2 in the distance part of the addaction to whatever distance you want (<2 means it will only be possible within 2 m) If you want to simulate throwing knives or something (maybe darth vader like powers...) you could change this distance to be higher!

To test: Create a few BLUEFOR and OPFOR with a waypoint just in front - set waypoint to never fire and careless. Make one from each side playable - you can see it works for both side (only visible on enemies so you cant accidentally kill your own!)

Untested in MP BUT should be no issues

If people are interested in it I have a few further things in mind... hopefully a few sentries can quietly meet their makers now though!

NOTE:

This was posted here accidentally instead of the A2 forum... I have edited it to work in A3 - for some reason the surrender action sends you flying backwards in A3... surrender action changed to saulte and works fine... Note that if you dont move at all you will stay saluting until you move again.

Edited by Zodd

Awesome script!

Good thing someone made it.

Note that if you dont move at all you will stay saluting until you move again.

That be funny, you just see someone standing there saluting with a body at their feet. :P

Haha it would be... kinda poetic!

I will have a bit of a play around and see what I can do to improve... but first post updated with V1!

zod_stakedown V1.3 is done!

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=19731

Several big changes (Read Readme for key details)

Summary:

MP (respawn) compatible

Added optional 'X was knifed by Y' hint (Arma 3 only)

Extra variables and ability to specifically customise individual unit melee stats (Speed of takedown, lethality chance, minimum damage, whether the salute animation is played or not)

Added ability to remove the floating text hint when in range

Combined into one version for A2/A3 (May change in future but V1.3 is compatible with both with the exception of the hint)

Thanks to aclaw4u and the blokes at the Midnight Crew Reddit Wasteland for testing!

Edited by Zodd

very very good. We would like to use for our C & H missions. And of course we are interested.

If people are actually interested I will update it and include LoS checks (to confirm they arent behind a wall etc) as well as look at adding a thrown weapon version (eg. short range throwing knives) until I can work out how to actually mod them in.

But the first question, it is possible to integrate a sound on the fly for the action(played for Killer and Victim)? If so, how?

thx in advance

Edited by [J4F] Thunder666

Well done. I don't see what BI has to lose by adding the option. I mean sure its unlikely a soldier would resort to a knife but it would be nice to have the option because even silenced guns make a lot of noise. Only thing is no matter how slow I move I make too much noise to sneak up on enemies so to test it I had to spawn a unit right in front of me

amazing!

after playing.. apparently you can take down friendlies too.. which can be bad and good. is there a way to stop that?

Edited by MackaRoney

Sorry all - been away a while.

Sound - could look into it if you are still keen

Stealth requirement - it is a bit difficult to do effectively - mainly due to in built AI. I have used it a bit in more chaotic fighting (When one AI is engaging another person)

Friendly fire - an easy option - I believe it was in the readme part but if not it is quite simple to change (let me know if you still need it)

How is

"MP testing complete without major issues."

a known issue? ;)

I think that is a relic from when it was not MP tested? Just the automatic Armaholic release template anyway... But there could still be minor issues I spose!

this is really awesome, but I cant get it to work on my multiplayer map, I think it might have something to do with my custom loadout respawn script? could you help me integrate it in? im lost in the sauce with this stuff.

this is my init.sqf

changeLoadout = {
private ["_unit"];
_unit = _this;

// Remove the unit's default gear
removeAllWeapons _unit;
removeUniform _unit;
removeVest _unit;
removeAllAssignedItems _unit;

// Add Uniform and Gear
_unit addUniform "U_B_SpecopsUniform_sgg";
_unit addVest "V_TacVest_blk";
_unit addheadgear "H_Watchcap_blk";
_unit addItem "ItemCompass";
_unit addItem "ItemMap";
_unit assignItem "ItemCompass";
_unit assignItem "ItemMap";

// Add SMG with Mags

_unit addMagazine "30Rnd_45ACP_Mag_SMG_01_Tracer_Green";
_unit addWeapon "SMG_01_Holo_F";
_unit addPrimaryWeaponItem "acc_flashlight";

// Add handgun with suppressor and 1x 30-round magazine
_unit addMagazine "30rnd_9x21_mag";
_unit addWeapon "hgun_rook40_f";
_unit addHandgunItem "muzzle_snds_L";

};

// Doesn't need to be run on the dedicated server itself
if (!(isDedicated)) then {
// Wait for JIP
waitUntil {!(isNull player)};

// Change the player's loadout initially
player call changeLoadout;
};

// Apply to all units set to Playable
{
// Change loadout upon respawn
_x addEventHandler [
	"Respawn",	// Respawn event handler
	{
		// Find the newly-respawned unit
		private ["_unit"];
		_unit = _this select 0;

// Change loadout
		_unit call changeLoadout;
	}
];
} forEach playableUnits;

so I added ur script folder into my mission folder, added a trigger with the

nul = [thislist] execVM "scripts\zod_stakedown_init.sqf"

like the directions. but there is no silent kill option when i test it out. this would be the second time i feel like my respawn script is over writing a new script Im trying to achieve for a special effect, and i dont know how to stop it.

Edited by CrazyAirborne

Did you have the trigger over all the units you want to have the action? ie. for everyone then have the trigger fire on anyone present.

There should be no reason it conflicts with that init file... have you tried it without your custom stuff to make sure you can get it working?

I'm trying to use this to make a Predator Mod. Do you know of a way to play a sound whenever a takedown is initiated?

Example: Everytime Predator takes down human, Predator roars

nice share, thanks... its going to work out awesome in my tdm BloodBath missions