Sign in to follow this  
sic-disaster

Door Kickers

So a new game was released as alpha a few days ago, called Door Kickers.

It is basically a mash-up between the planning phase of the oldschool Rainbow Six games and Frozen Synapse, so if you enjoyed those games you might enjoy this as well.

There are still a few issues at the moment (for example, you can only create one waypoint for each soldier at a time, you can't stack them up, but you will be able to in the future. Also you can't make the soldiers sidestep (yet?)) but all in all it already is a very enjoyable game that is very reasonably priced.

Website here: http://inthekillhouse.com/

Gameplay video:

And with a bit of shameless self-promotion I made a small soundmod to make the sounds a bit more visceral and loud, which I made a video out of:

Thread of that here:

http://inthekillhouse.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=44

Well im already interested, anything that is on the fly planning and Raven Shield style gets my vote. Good sounds, the fact that its moddable is yet another interesting part, I like to old style top down game style too.

DRM?

NO DRM!

We’d rather spend resources on the actual game and we don’t like to impose restrictions on our paying customers.

Interesting I see they are going for steam greenlght, so I hope they stick to having a separate release from it *cough*.

Also reminds me of playing old amiga games, if Rainbow 6 came out in the 80's :)

I can imagine this game would be good to adapt to tablets and handhelds, seems very touch friendly, I have this bookmarked for progress and would consider getting it too, thanks for the thread, I doubt I would have ever spotted it otherwise.

Edited by mrcash2009

I made a few other video's.

Attack on a bank:

Small apartment:

Last two are sloppy but their primary goal was showing off the sounds I made for the Mac-10 and the .357.

Dying horribly at the hand of Mac-10's:

This went slightly better.

I assume your stacking up orders? And using right mouse to execute the waypoints?

I should ask all this and check official forums, but as regards modding, I notice its limited to how much your paying for that privilege (questionable but I see how its funded) ... so I guess with source code purchase you can mod its UI/AI functions and engine features?

Also map size and mission creation?

Shameless self promotion I must say :p

Things I liked in say Raven Shield was to sit and plan, and let it unfold and not be directly in first person (personally involved), so this is going to be very interesting to get hold of, it ticks all my boxes, I will wait until release though.

As it is right now you can't stack up waypoints yet. You basically hold down the left mouse button on a character and drag it's waypoint. Then for special actions you can right click the character to make him reload or throw a flashbang. And simply standing near a door pops up the action icon from which you can select actions like opening the door, throwing a flashbang and using the spy-cam. I think they are going to add more breaching options in future so those actions might expand. And switching between the paused planning mode and real time mode is as simple as pressing the space bar.

As to modding, afaik they will release a mission editor for everybody to use, and everybody should be able to mod the game. But the source code tier basically buys you the engine they use, which you can use to make your own games with. It's basically the engine license. But bigger maps are planned I think.

Well that sounds mighty fine in terms of changing things, that has got me very interested. The stacking thing will come, its a bit wrong without it TBH, kind of reminds me of High Command in Arma2 ... place the waypoint ... cant stop them! To drag the waypoint, let go with shift or something to place it as "hold" is all I ever asked in arma2 let alone that game.

If they can do that with a number system to "release them" with a "Go" option for the waypoint hold number that would be nice.

EDIT: SIC I found the forum with your feedback posts, pretty much nailed all requests, I will leave it to that then :)

BTW im from Uk and the name of this game can be unfortunate when talking in general conversation .... * cough, smut *.

Edited by mrcash2009

Doesn't hurt to have more people backing up requested features and suggestions though, to let the developers know what stuff is really wanted :)

I can't see myself playing it all the time but it looks like a great game to just fire up and play from time to time. Definitely looking forward to getting it.

I made an update to the soundmod. Here's the changes:

- Tweaked fade-out on some weapon sounds.

- Added the sound of shellcase falling for weapons other than the revolver.

- Added a new sound for the revolver reload, shells can now be heard falling onto the floor.

- Added a new bomb explosion.

- Added a new sound for shattering glass.

- Added new footstep sounds.

To showcase:

Some nice updates bringing even more toward the existing titles:

http://inthekillhouse.com/update-1-status/

Here’s a status:

- You can now add custom waypoints anywhere on the path.

- Go Codes are done!

- Locked doors & breaching charges are work in progress, should be done in a few days.

- Expect more…

Door Kickers was recently updated to Alpha 7. This update focuses on cosmetics(skins and animations), AI behaviour and mission replay(WIP). From what I've understood the next update will bring tasers and Arrest options and after that ballistic shields, sniper support + windows, character and squad progression, campaign generator. This is what's being worked on right now and will be implemented in the next months but the devs have a long list of other features in mind.

Some videos using the mission replay that show the current version of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8xLs6Vycsg

Just gets better and better, for a top down game it even makes recent attempts at hostage rescue CQB in 3D look & play crappy. Perfect platform for pads and other devices, they should make a killing from this once complete ... pun intended :)

I'm glad to say that the 1.2 update for my soundmod is now complete! It is now completely up to date for Alpha 8.

It's been a while since I last updated the mod (I believe it might have been for alpha 2 or 3?) so it took me many hours over the past week to find source material for all the new weapons that were added since then. Then came the editing, and the testing for errors, and changing of some of the original sounds from the previous version.

I played with it quite a bit, but if there are any issues that pop up, like maybe a sound or two that won't play (I've had this issue with the breaching shotgun, the silenced MP5 etc.) please let me know so I can fix the problem asap as it's not that hard to do. But there are so many additions to the mod that I might have forgotten to check one or two weapons! ;)

I believe I succeeded in giving the game a richer soundscape that is much more visceral and convincing. I'd say that about 90% of all the sounds are authentic (meaning that the sound for the MPa3 is actually the sound of an MP5a3 being fired), and for the remainder I used other sources because I couldn't find any good sounds for them (trust me, I spent a good few hours trying to find sounds for the Commando 553 but almost all video's are from Battlefield 3 and 4, or airsoft lol).

Even if you don't find any errors (and I certainly think you won't), please give me feedback on things you like and things you don't like (like maybe volume levels on some of the weapons)! It's important to me as I put a lot of effort in this project :)

CHANGELOG 1.2:

- Added new sound for battering down a door with the ram

- Added new sound for the breaching charge

- Reduced decibel values for all explosion sounds to make it easier on the ear

- Reduced decibel values for the Mac-10.

- Replaced the .38 revolver sound. (old version still available in alternatives folder)

- Added new sounds for recently added weapons like the G36C, Glock 17, HK416, the shotguns, silenced weapons etc. as well as the sniper rifle with a bit of delay to simulate distance.

(alternative without delay available in the alternatives folder)

- Changed the footstep sounds. They sound heavier now, like actual combat boots.

Download 1.2.1 here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9g485fl2q1y8iz5/SiC%27S+DoorKickers+SoundMod+v1.2.1.rar#39;S_DoorKickers_SoundMod_v1.2.1.rar

A preview video I did a few days ago for 1.2 (new footstep sounds aren't in this video yet):

EDIT:

Turns out I had a problem with one of the revolvers. Fixed now, new link above.

Edited by SiC-Disaster

Door Kickers updated to Alpha 10. Next update will be Beta and the release date is set for Q4 2014

What else is New and Important in Alpha 10 of Door Kickers:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Features:

- Bigger maps (zoom/scroll enabled for all maps)

- New scenario type: Protect the VIP

- Three new enemy types (Operator Orville, Juggernaut Emil, Assassins)

- Three new maps

- Improved enemy/SWAT AI

- Export replays to video

- Modding support + in-game mods menu

- Steam Workshop support

- Can resume a game anytime during a replay

- Added enemy ghosts for last visible location

Other:

- Added maxFPS and vertical-sync in options.xml

- Improved FPS / loading time

- Game size reduced significantly (due to compressed textures)

- Can now hide the HUD while playing; not yet in replay mode

- Multiple graphics improvements

- rebalanced armor types

- rebalanced 9mm and .40 caliber vs .45 caliber pistols

- New sounds

- game now loads .dds files in addition to .tga and .png

- new door types added - elevator and bus doors

Fixes:

- Can no longer be heard through walls when picking locks

- Fixed a couple of replay-desync bugs

- Fixed some ambient sounds that were too loud

(plus bugs, crashes, etc)

Modding / Structure changes:

- changed location of single mission and RMG repositories

- the distance at which shots are heard is now specific to each weapon

- the noise distances for stealthily opening a door vs kicking it down are now configured separately.

If you'd like to see other replay videos, here is my

. Edited by BogdanM

Door Kickers is being released today but you can still buy it at Early Access price for a few more hours.

Here is the launch trailer (I have permission to share the video)

I recommend the game to all fans of the genre. Easy to pick up but hard to master, ~ 50 hours of playtime to complete the missions and campaigns, a random mission generator, mission editor and mod support (with 20-30 community levels on Steam Workshop). Keep in mind that game development continues after the official release, with new features, multiplayer and DLCs (Russian special police if I remember correctly) still to come.

The editor alone could make me want to buy this.

Only thing I'm not sure of is the tactical part, ie how good are ai etc, or is it more of a rapid shooter type thing..

The editor alone could make me want to buy this.

Only thing I'm not sure of is the tactical part, ie how good are ai etc, or is it more of a rapid shooter type thing..

The AI certainly isn't the strong point of the game. It does the usual: return fire, run for cover/run away (depending on enemy type), run away from stun grenades, investigate noises(door kicking, gunfire), throw grenades but it doesn't flank, move in pairs, ambush etc. There are also executioners, some will kill the hostage after x seconds, some after hearing noises or after seeing your troopers.

The gameplay isn't like a chess game, where you have to outsmart a cunning opponent. You're supposed to apply tactics to resolve a difficult scenario involving a superior (entrenched) enemy force and the levels are well designed so it often that you'll have an enemy pop up behind you if you are not careful. You can pretty much apply any kind of police/military tactic for CQB. The game is difficult because you have to play smart, run into a room without stunning first and a thug with a Mag-10 will kill your entire raid team.

You can take a look at these videos to see what can you do in Door Kickers. This guy made ~ 60 levels of making a single plan for the entire level with no micromanaging afterwards. Of course if you pause and adjust you plans you'll be much more effective.

Here is my DK playlist (with micromanaging and knowing the levels) but AI in those videos was pretty basic and it has been improved since then.

The AI certainly isn't the strong point of the game. It does the usual: return fire, run for cover/run away (depending on enemy type), run away from stun grenades, investigate noises(door kicking, gunfire), throw grenades but it doesn't flank, move in pairs, ambush etc. There are also executioners, some will kill the hostage after x seconds, some after hearing noises or after seeing your troopers.

Thanks for that I will have a good look at the videos and see.:)