Sign in to follow this  
dealman

UVW Unwraps from 3ds Max into O2?

I'm working on a mod to get used with the ArmA 2/ArmA 3 pipeline, however I'm having some issues. I've managed to get my model in-game but the textures aren't working.

I'm bad enough at unwrapping my models in 3ds Max as-is, but even more so in Oxygen 2 - it's just impossible for me. So I'm wondering if there's a way to get my UVW Unwrap from 3ds Max into O2?

So far, I've rendered the UVW as a .BMP file and converted it into a .EMF file using IrfanView - but I can't seem to find a way to load this EMF file as the UV into O2 and thus I can't get my textures to work.

Is there a way to do this? Or am I all out of luck and have to use the O2 UV Editor?

Had never problems with importing uvw´s from 3d Max. I always saved the unwrapped Mesh as .png, and made a .paa out of it. I guess it´s more important to have the unwrapped model saved correctly. the Map is just a guidline for your texture work. Don´t change the resolution and there shouldn´t be trouble.

For me .3DS is the best working export form.

Had never problems with importing uvw´s from 3d Max. I always saved the unwrapped Mesh as .png, and made a .paa out of it. I guess it´s more important to have the unwrapped model saved correctly. the Map is just a guidline for your texture work. Don´t change the resolution and there shouldn´t be trouble.

For me .3DS is the best working export form.

No matter how I export it the UV always ends up as a mess inside O2, the layout isn't like I had it when I rendered a BMP out of it.

Here, take this as example:

nyancat.7z"]nyancat.7z[/url]

It´s a .3ds made in 3d Max and exported from there, with it comes the uvw-map also done in Max with a basic texture.

Import the 3ds in O2, convert the texture in paa or skin it yourself with the map and see if it works.

When it´s ok for you, maybe you do something wrong in Max.

When you apply your texture to the model you imported into O2 from 3ds Max, does your model have distorted textures, like the unwrap has gone crazy?

Thanks for the help guys, managed to fix it - turned out the export from 3ds Max had gone corrupted for whatever reason. :)

Have you used VM_s P3D Exporter? If you were having an issue with UV mapping becoming distorted it fixes those issues. At least it fixed mine, the link to it is below..

http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Arma_3_Modding_Characters

It is in the Sample files.. even though that is for A3 it still works the same in max.

If you have any options to 'optimize' vertices, uvs, etc, in an exporter or importer, always choose no.