Sign in to follow this  
mmaruda

Rifle slings

Ok, so I know this is not a really important issue, but I was always annoyed how the soldiers in Arma (US especially) would always keep hanging their rifles over their shoulder when switching to pistol. It looks like they are using just a WWII-style strap for the weapon. Arma 3 is set in the future. The standard now are 3-point slings, which allow you for faster weapons switching and are more practical in general. It would seem logical if the animations were changed to reflect a more modern type of sling.

Here is what I am talking about:

http://ttag.zippykidcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/CD-3PSb.jpg

Y'know, if they did this I think it would make the weapon switching animation look a lot better. They'd have to record a new one, obviously, but it would look so much less awkward. When I switch weapons I feel like I'm out hunting or something, not in a war zone.

Neither of those tickets have to do specifically with the style of sling.

I like the idea behind the second ticket, but it seems like it's asking for too much. We just want the animation to not look out of place, if I'm understanding mmaruda.

They'd have to record a new one, obviously, but it would look so much less awkward.
Pretty much why it wouldn't happen. :( Although Smookie did months ago (around E3) discuss both the animation and the "still being stationary" after E3, something about transitioning-on-the-move (even at walk speed) taking up so many resources?

When you switch to binoculars, your player model drops the rifle in it's sling, I'd like to see this utilized in the handgun animation.

I hadn't even noticed that. Yes, please! This is exactly what it should look like when you switch to your sidearm.

I would gladly open a ticket for that or support an existing one, if I had received the e-mail with the account activation link. I tried this a couple of times now, and no dice. As for the animation itself, all I would like is for it to look more "modern", though in a perfect world, I would wish for infantrymen to use a three-point sling animation and vehicle crews use single-point one as IRL.

I'd say this is a very huge design and coding overlook on the dev part, like many other things having the problem being discussed even before the game have start developing really kill the mood for many, just look at how it takes almost a decade to fix the red dot sight, and there are just too many things that just get over looked for years.:(

I'd say this is a very huge design and coding overlook on the dev part, like many other things having the problem being discussed even before the game have start developing really kill the mood for many,
In fairness, I'd dare say that about half of that decade was "the Codemaster years" followed by Arma 1 which Maruk in a BI studio article and to VideoGamer.com, thanks to the BI forums member who linked me to them, said was most certainly not a morale-inspiring project...

In fairness, I'd dare say that about half of that decade was "the Codemaster years" followed by Arma 1 which Maruk in a BI studio article and to VideoGamer.com, thanks to the BI forums member who linked me to them, said was most certainly not a morale-inspiring project...

The impression I've got from reading these forums makes me wonder if the Arma series was more of a side-project for BI, with most of their cash flow coming from BIS/VBS. Hopefully the surge in popularity will mean that exponentially more resources are being thrown at Arma 3's development. Am I just completely off base?

Remember Smookie joking that Arma 4 would be set in the Wild West? People may have thought that he was just joking, but Maruk admitted in this 2011 devblog:

in the years immediately following the original release of Operation Flashpoint, our focus was based on riding on the wave of its success. Operation Flashpoint: Resistance was released one year later and to many of Bohemia's developers it is their favourite game to play to date. Sometimes, though, I feel we made a mistake not taking this even further, especially on the multiplayer and engine side, and by not extending it into a full-blown sequel. However, we didn't want to create a sequel at all back then. Instead, we wanted to do something completely different: an RPG Wild West game.
By 2006 BI had become "almost completely exhausted, both morally and financially," with both sales of OFP slowing down and the now-"utterly broken" relationship with Codemasters, with legal/contractual impediments to finding a new publisher, and OFP: Elite (the Xbox port of CWC) was "not only a major technical challenge but also a commercial problem for Bohemia Interactive", with wildly varying review scores and "it was completely overshadowed by the launch of the Xbox 360 at the same time", while BI had also been trying to put together "Game 2" -- but it was so "extremely overambitious" that eventually the ambitions had to be scaled back.

In effect, Arma 1 was the direct result of the decision to take as much of the improvements from OFP: Elite and create a game based on revamped CWC assets, but "this would have to be created relatively quickly, within a budget and most importantly on time." Arma 2 on the other hand was to be "something we felt could be close to the original ambitions of “Game 2â€, but sill would be something feasible to manage" (spelling error left in). As far as the company's structure as of 2011:

The fact we are not able to fix all problems instantly and that some things take a lot of time, does not mean we’re not trying to do our best. However, we had to also learn to operate as a business in a sense and we need to carefully align our plans to keep the company operating well. We are again at a stage when we are working on numerous announced and secret projects, alongside supporting all the many released titles that are still played by our users. It's difficult but there is no other way for us. Unlike in the early years of the massive success of the original OFP, we rely on sales of new projects in order to sustain the company. Part of the reason is that the original game was made by a team of eight, whilst something of Arma 2's scale required a team nearly ten times bigger. So unless we focus on much smaller games there is no way we can sustain development unless we are able to work on multiple projects in parallel.

Mind you, that's Maruk outright saying that for the first few years BI basically just rode Operation Flashpoint's success even though they didn't want to do any more sequels after Resistance and at the time they already wanted to move on from "realism simulator"... suggesting that some long-time fans have been riding that horse for even longer and with more devotion than the devs themselves. :p But that quote was meant to poke at the whole "stuff they haven't fixed for a decade" line, since the article suggests that Arma 2 was the first in the series to actually be taken seriously from a development perspective... eight years after Cold War Crisis. Think of things this way, in the form of this timeline of their "Armaversum" releases:

2001: OFP: CWC

2005: OFP: Elite

2006/2007: Arma: Armed Assault / Arma: Combat Operations, Arma: Queen's Gambit

2009: Arma 2

2010: Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead, Arma 2: British Armed Forces (DLC), Arma 2: Private Military Company

2011: Arma 2: Free, Arma 2: Reinforcements (BAF+PMC standalone), Arma: Cold War Assault (the ten-years-of-OFP release of the v1.99 patch), Arma 2: Firing Range, Take On Helicopters (set in the Armaversum)

2012: DayZ mod, Arma 2: Army of the Czech Republic (DLC), Carrier Command: Gaea Mission (I know it's not a Armaversum game, bear with me anyway)

2013: Arma 3 (expected Q3), Arma Tactics (expected Q2)

I wouldn't mind seeing the option to use a sling to improve your accuracy--perhaps by including something like a Ching Sling in the game, and increasing stability when firing from supported positions with a rifle that has one.

And for people who prefer single point slings, they could add a chance of randomly shooting yourself in the foot. :-)

I understand, hell I think many people who happens to following since OFP days understand that deep down, it just that it have been so long that all these rough edges still exist is frustrating, I mean, the fact that they were able to fix the red-dots and holo is almost like a miracle for me(must be someone who bother to dig into those huge piles of codes that have been there since very beginning of RV engine to find and fix that)

Thing is. The current "move gun to back" animation is somewhat lengthy and it is no wonder that it cannot be performed while on the move, because it's like you need two animations. A very simple and quick "gun to chest" animation would only require a minimalistic animation and could probably be done while there is this running/walking animation going on. I think it would do more good than bad actually. Well, pulling the pistol would be another animation, but I think it would be doable.

Well, some people (including some devs) fear that it will virtually dig your rifle into virtual soil and causing imaginary malfunctions(meaning: something that is totally not modeled in the game)......

Now lets make it very clear, first off there are ways to make sure the rifle won't dig into dirt, secondly you have to do some very silly things for dirt in barrel to become a significant problem, even a DI system of the AR15 is proved to be much more reliable then popular believes, and thirdly, THIS IS A GAME.

100% agree with slings for quick pistols, and weapon on back must be upside down, in combat all soldiers use in that way

100% agree with slings for quick pistols, and weapon on back must be upside down, in combat all soldiers use in that way

pretty sure that some European countries teach barrel up carry...

pretty sure that some European countries teach barrel up carry...

I'm sure it differentiates military-to-military.

Plus pistols use lanyards, I haven't seen a pistol sling.

Working with British, Danish, and Estonian forces and I've never seen them carry things barrel-up. The SA-80 issued slings I see have the weapon pointing down diagonally, ableit more parallel to the ground than US forces slings generally are when put on the back.