Sign in to follow this  
M. BlackBeard

Hand Signaling & Commo Rose

Hand Signaling & Commo Rose (multi-purpose)

I was looking for key words about it on the forums and I was surprised I couldn't find anything about this. Maybe my search abilities suck or I may even be putting too much value into this particular feature...idk

I was wondering, would this be something BIS would want implemented in the game(as a vanilla feature)?

Ever since I tried the ACE tactical hand-signs, I thought it was one of the most immersible things ever, when I was role playing with our ACE group "back in the time".

Imho you shouldn't need to go deep into he rabbit hole just to experience something as simple & awesome as this.

I imagine the (awesome) ACE dudes already have some ideas about it.

What do you guys think? Something we should have in the Alpha/Beta to start testing it?

Or do you think only the special people deserve it? :p

Here's an example:

Edited by MarkusLetifer

the comm rose is cringe inducing and not any more intuitive than a list system. in fact it's less effective than a list system since with a list you can just press a key and then the corresponding number/letter. it can be easily memorized, it's faster, and you don't need to take up your entire screen or take you out of the moment to fiddle around with what are the equivalent of big colored buttons as if you're some kind of kindergartener or imbecile.

I completely agree with you and all points taken. But with all due respect, it's clear you haven't tried this before because if you had, you'd know the Commo Rose only shows up to give you hints about what movements you have to make with the mouse to get signal A,B or C. If you check other examples you'll understand the graphic is optional and it is there just to let you get used to and memorize the movements.

It's bind to a key of your desire and it'll never show up unless you want it to show up. All signals are enabled by holding a key of choice + specific directional mouse movement.

Yes, sure, a scroll down menu is an option but not an effective one i believe because I think that should be used strictly for interaction commands. Maybe having bindings to complicated key combinations not so easy to remember is a solution for some...but the "pattern" como rose is there to make your life easier.

In my opinion this is would be considered adding something to the experience and surely NOT the other way around. And then again, it's usually something you only use if you really want.

But I imagine it could be used for much more, having other bind keys for other advanced commands.

The sky is the limit...

Edited by MarkusLetifer

I find the Commo Rose a superior system. The list is just confusing me, I keep forgetting which key does what and it takes ages for me, before I can issue a simple command like cease fire. The time it takes to issue commands with the current system is also considerably longer even if you are proficient with it, since you need to move your hand around the keyboard and think what you're pressing. IRL you just say stuff which is faster.

that's why the game allows modding :) so what one likes can DIY or get modification to suit his likes ...

Hello everyone :welcome:

+1 I really would love to see an revision of the current Interaction Menu by making all commands accessible via Commo Rose. To be able to quickly give some Handsignals would also be a good thing.

I'm comming from a long time of BF2:AIX2 playing, where giving commands and saying simple things like Sorry, Thanks or Need a Medic and so on, were very easy accessible via Commo Rose. If you knew where the actions were placed on the Rose they could be chosen blindfoldet. Because, you had to just simply hold a key (in BF2 it was Q and T), drag your mouse over desired action and release it to choose. Witch is much more handy and less time consuming as the current drop down menu. IMO, in case of giving handsignals, whitch is very imersive and for sneaking procedures somewhat importand and because i don't know a better solution, it should be the way to go.

Some have said, at least that's how i understood it, that a Commo Rose would make you unmoveable while using it. But that's not true and as you probably all regret, it's somewhat the case with the current drop down menu.

For those that say, that the ability to make quick commands or actions by simply pressing numbers (eg. 0-0-9) is something they wanna stay with. - I do agree but that's not an argument that speaks against the Commo Rose, because it's also possible with it.

I'm pretty sure, as MarkusLetifer expected it, that it's allready "discussed to death" :hang: and because he couldn't find it allegedly, i expect it to be probably somewhere in the ArmA2 section of this Forums, at least the Commo Rose thing ;)

have a nice time everybody

much love and light

Von_Emmy

I have plans for a mod which would include a commo rose, fast and intuitive.;)

For hand signals or for all (most) of the commands? :)

Never been a fan of the commo rose in PC games. Games have been trying it for like a decade, and the only time it feels right is when you're using a gamepad. To each his own, but I'd prefer it not be part of the default control scheme.

The hand signals in general look awesome. I never played with them, but I remember the first time I saw someone (Jester maybe?) use "Cease Fire" to tell a Chinook to lift off after all the infantry had disembarked. It was just so freakin' cool!

@Reuben5150

would be very nice! I am the first one who download your mod :-). And for all no-sayers: its an option, not more..a matter of taste

Well dont hold your breath ! :eek: I don't plan to start anything until the game is headed more towards final release, and i have some learing to do.... but lots of ideas...

Please pleaseeeeee include a commo-rose (Or someone has to come up with a good universal mod that actually has some UIX design to it (Rather than ACE big red arrows). There is so much potential for it. Everyone that played BF2 knows how quick you can use it and that's an ancient implementation we are talking about. Having the scroll menu is cool and all, but it's incredibly outdated and not very effective. Especially seeing a lot of the huge list of items can be given other locations that are more logical and keep things cleaner. The fact that I want this might be the main reason that I'll look into modding, even though I have absolutely no idea how to start with it.

The biggest problem with the scroll list is probably that things keep popping up at random locations, whereas a good commorose could be very different depending on the button you hold. I have a very console'y about this and I'm really not a fan of console games in general, but sometimes those menus actually work great to have multiple options combined to a small little menu that you can use fast (and blindfolded). Standing in front of a car with lots of options to get in on all the sides (And don't want to use the scroll menu fast, because that makes you place a satchel/switch to your pistol instead)? Hold the default action button, let a little menu pop up, move your mouse quickly in the option you want. Seems like a good thing for me. Saves random items popping up in your action menu, making it way more intuitive.

Anways, when I have more desktop time next week I'll probably make a seperate thread with my full concept and include a video with some animations to it of how I have this in my mind. Who knows, maybe someone that actually knows how to mod will find a way to work it out then.

Personally I believe arma style gameplay is too complex for a simple commo rose. There's just too much going on in the battle field, even if your being suppressed by a single sniper communication is key if you want to survive. It's much easier if people just use microphones.

Please pleaseeeeee include a commo-rose (Or someone has to come up with a good universal mod that actually has some UIX design to it (Rather than ACE big red arrows). There is so much potential for it. Everyone that played BF2 knows how quick you can use it and that's an ancient implementation we are talking about. Having the scroll menu is cool and all, but it's incredibly outdated and not very effective. Especially seeing a lot of the huge list of items can be given other locations that are more logical and keep things cleaner. The fact that I want this might be the main reason that I'll look into modding, even though I have absolutely no idea how to start with it.

The biggest problem with the scroll list is probably that things keep popping up at random locations, whereas a good commorose could be very different depending on the button you hold. I have a very console'y about this and I'm really not a fan of console games in general, but sometimes those menus actually work great to have multiple options combined to a small little menu that you can use fast (and blindfolded). Standing in front of a car with lots of options to get in on all the sides (And don't want to use the scroll menu fast, because that makes you place a satchel/switch to your pistol instead)? Hold the default action button, let a little menu pop up, move your mouse quickly in the option you want. Seems like a good thing for me. Saves random items popping up in your action menu, making it way more intuitive.

Anways, when I have more desktop time next week I'll probably make a seperate thread with my full concept and include a video with some animations to it of how I have this in my mind. Who knows, maybe someone that actually knows how to mod will find a way to work it out then.

Agreed 100% ^

For some reason this didn't bother me at all back in the OFP days, but after seeing how other games did things I start to feel like us in the armaverse are missing out on a lot of advances in the world of UI and gaming.

RV is good with so many things, why can't it be good at this as well?

Edited by Tuliq

that's why the game allows modding :) so what one likes can DIY or get modification to suit his likes ...

Is this the approach then? I spent my money with the wrong company. I'd be less annoyed by pirating the game and paying the modders for finishing it.

Personally I believe arma style gameplay is too complex for a simple commo rose. There's just too much going on in the battle field, even if your being suppressed by a single sniper communication is key if you want to survive. It's much easier if people just use microphones.

I wasn't thinking of a "simple" commo rose, but hopefully something that improves on the scroll list.

It all depends how it is implemented. Commo rose can be very useful if done right.