Sign in to follow this  
Swifty_MARSOC

Left handed option?

I'm left handed and it really bugs me that in every shooter you are right handed. Hoping there will be an option/mod to make you left handed in game. Wondering if anyone else thinks this would be a nice feature in the game or a total waste of time.

Enjoy a puff of superheated gas to the face (caseless ammo). :D

I would agree it would be cool to see you able to shoulder transition or even use different grips. Short-stocking would also be cool to see if there was a weapon collision mod in use. Tsst, combine it all together - super pro CQB mod!

Waste of time as it makes no difference in the game. Now, if they do add it in I'll have no complaints, but definitely not a priority. Would be neat to add another layer of customization though.

I m mistaken to think there would be 2 X existing animations to achieve that?

It's very important for CQB (i m left handed 2) ..but if the speculation of the extra animations is correct..it's just HUGE amount of extra work for BIS..without some significant gain.

If there was any easy workaround for this..i would be glad to have the choice..

Forgive my ignorance but don't most design software packages have a 'mirror' function of some sort? I assume to make a left handed option they could use a batch mirror... thing. Personally I would love to see as I'm a south paw too.

The ONLY benefit to having the left handed shooting is when you are leaning left so you don't expose as much of your body when you lean around a corner. That's the only practical application for it.

The ONLY benefit to having the left handed shooting is when you are leaning left so you don't expose as much of your body when you lean around a corner. That's the only practical application for it.

Practically Yes..this is the only in-game benefit.

As i said if there were an easy workaround-it would be really cool (more for those playing PvP) ..otherwise it's too much work for no significant reason

I dont think this could be waste of time (atleast TvT).

It could be set up on some "hot key" to be able quick switching betwen right-handed and left-handed.

see:

In the long run, it would be very nice to have a "hotkey" switch for weapons, just like they demonstrate in that video.

It really makes sense i CQB and would help to simulate the trained combat soldier.

But like stated before, its not a priority, just a nice feature along the way :)

Forgive my ignorance but don't most design software packages have a 'mirror' function of some sort? I assume to make a left handed option they could use a batch mirror... thing. Personally I would love to see as I'm a south paw too.

The issue is that this isn't just about mirroring the animations, it would require different models (as putting rifle on left shoulder would put it on the right one in old model), completely new config (some 1200+ classes with connections) with transitions to right handed and back. I don't want do discourage any community member from such effort, but it would take more than just a nick of time :icon_twisted:

• Like 1

People saying there's no purpose of having it, that it makes no difference. Why don't we just have nothing but white guys to play with in game then? There's no game play benefit to having different races in game so just make them all white. That's what you guys sound like, I'm left handed I don't want to see my guy shooting right handed in game. It used to be a option in games back in the day, now it's none existent. Shoulder transitions have no purpose in a video game, not even for shooting from cover. So that's a non issue.

Shoulder transitions have no purpose in a video game, not even for shooting from cover. So that's a non issue.

Guess you never played Gears of War. You'd always get owned if you didn't properly 'transition', which in that game tended to be when you took up cover, you went to the side you wanted to shoot from so you could shoot around. If you didn't, you were shooting with the wrong shoulder and would be off/had to adjust. And to say it has NO purpose for shooting from cover is a pile of crap. That's like saying the animations have no purpose for shooting from cover.

Shoulder transitions have no purpose in a video game, not even for shooting from cover. So that's a non issue.

Wow... Just wow...

In a milsim shoulder transition most deff have a place lol.

Like Rye says, shooting from cover gets a whole new meaning when you can choose what side to expose.

As of right now, leaning left from cover is almost the same as killing your self with a grenade :) You expose half your body, shoulder transition could change that very much.

Even though we have a million stances now, this feature would be extremely gamechanging and add another layer of simulation to the game.

Sorry to say but your argument could not have been more invalid lol.

Here is my take.

If you want to argue realism, then you are in a losing battle. As a former military member, we never had the time (or ammo) to practice being proficient in off-hand or transition shooting. The only units that do that on the regular are secret squirrel types. You make up for this in tactics.

Realism lesson for the day, lol.

Here is my take.

If you want to argue realism, then you are in a losing battle. As a former military member, we never had the time (or ammo) to practice being proficient in off-hand or transition shooting. The only units that do that on the regular are secret squirrel types. You make up for this in tactics.

"Personally we never did, but they do regularly [in regards to training]" - That kind of contradicts trying to nullify the realistic aspect of shoulder transitions. "Y'all" particular yanks never shoot molly dooker? Best disregard it for everybody then.

Wouldn't a brass deflector allow?

Here is my take.

Well the "secret squirrel types" you mention, are also a part of arma, so Reckon and Special Ops teams would make good use of this feature. Especialy in CQB.

Not saying everybody uses it, but it is deff used in the real world, so why not here :)

Its suppose to be a sandbox milsim right? so you need to have as many options as possible.

It wouldn't be a useless addition to the game. Hello, I'm sure you can shoulder and fire your weapon system with your other hand if it's a war you're in..this isn't a case of "realism" or "training" either. Just think, US Marines with their long arse 16's, and I've seen a couple of them switch around on some videos..

For example, if I have a left corner, I won't have to expose my head/upper body as much as I do because I'm right handed in-game. Little details like that are what would give CQB in A3 that much more immersion. It could also be a nice core addition if BIS wanted to do it. It would of course be optional, nobody is forcing you to be left handed in game are they.

Waste of time as it makes no difference in the game. Now, if they do add it in I'll have no complaints, but definitely not a priority. Would be neat to add another layer of customization though.

"Waste of time"

1. anything that makes the game more authentic is defiantly not a "waste of time"

2. I want you to go in game and lean to the left around a corner. Now wouldn't it be cool if you could switch shoulders and fire from your left shoulder and you would reveal less of you when you do.

I do believe that would be sick, and any person who has played airsoft or paint ball have realized the need to switch shoulders to improve their life expectancy.

nothing against you but I don't think you can write that one off as a "waste of time".

ambidextrous shooting would be great, left shoulder it when going around a left corner.

The issue is that this isn't just about mirroring the animations, it would require different models (as putting rifle on left shoulder would put it on the right one in old model), completely new config (some 1200+ classes with connections) with transitions to right handed and back. I don't want do discourage any community member from such effort, but it would take more than just a nick of time :icon_twisted:

I.e., it is a waste of time, regardless of what people say.