New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

news_download_a3_3.png

Mag Repack v3.0.0

required_addons.png

Community Base addons A3 (only for the addon version)

** our archive contains both the addon and the script version

===================================================

We have also "connected" these pages to your account on Armaholic.

This means in the future you will be able to maintain these pages yourself if you wish to do so. Once this new feature is ready we will contact you about it and explain how things work and what options you have.

When you have any questions already feel free to PM or email me!

** Note: since this is a project on which more people are working we will contact you in the future to discuss how you want this to be setup on Armaholic.

First of all, great work on the UI. You should work for BIS.

Second, entertaining video.

Third, I'm wondering if you've considered adding a button to the UI that does what the old version did automatically. While it's cool that repacking is a manual process with a nice UI, I can see people not wanting to worry about the specifics, and just consolidating their ammo into as few mags as possible. Obviously this wouldn't take care of things like switching rounds to another magazine type, but that's a special case.

Normally, a 2:20 intro would fill me with fiery hot rage, but I did indeed lawl.

Amazing update, the GUI and new features make this a mod almost a must-have. Very good to know I can unpack rounds from a belt and put them into my main rifle's magazines.

What a tasty bit of goodness. Thanks!

Normally, a 2:20 intro would fill me with fiery hot rage, but I did indeed lawl.

Thanks, man!

Unfortunately, long intros are kind of going to be my thing from now on...

In fact, I'm just going to take this time to apologize in advance for the intro to my next mod showcase.

This is great! What custom keybinding does it use?

Hey, thanks, Gliptal! I'm not exactly sure what you're asking. The default keybinding is "Left Ctrl+R." You can change it to whatever you want via the Keybindings option in the Options Menu. At this time, you can't change it to a double-tapping of a key, the "Escape" key, or to a mouse or joystick. Also, the closing square bracket key ("]") doesn't seem to be registered by the "onKeyDown" event handler, so you probably won't be able to use that.

Another thing to note is that if you're using a keyboard with a different layout than mine, the strings associated with each key may not match up to the keys you're pressing while in the Keybindings dialog... This won't affect functionality at all, it just might be kind of confusing.

I'm not sure if that will be a problem or not because I don't know what kinds of keyboards are used worldwide or what the differences are between them, and I don't know the specifics of the DIK keycodes that ArmA uses.

So I'm a bit worried about how all of that is going to play out...

New version frontpaged on the Armaholic homepage.

Thanks, Foxhound!

First of all, great work on the UI. You should work for BIS.

Third, I'm wondering if you've considered adding a button to the UI that does what the old version did automatically. While it's cool that repacking is a manual process with a nice UI, I can see people not wanting to worry about the specifics, and just consolidating their ammo into as few mags as possible. Obviously this wouldn't take care of things like switching rounds to another magazine type, but that's a special case.

1.) Thanks a bunch, man. Although, to be honest, BIS seems to be doing quite well in the UI department already. That's one of the main, super awesome improvements in ArmA 3.

2.) Haha, thaaaanks... I, uh, yeah...I dunno why things are...things. I'm glad that you aren't upset that you had to watch it, though!

3.) I have not considered that, and I will probably continue not considering it. Or...well, I dunno, maybe I can make it so you have that option if you're playing on Recruit or Regular or something. The thing is, the previous versions were only like that because I didn't know how to make a UI, so I didn't have any choice.

Also, the rate at which bullets are repacked is slightly increased over the last version, so if you know what you're doing, you can actually repack your magazines quicker than you previously could. And I really like that new mechanic that this version incidentally brings to the table. You have to pay attention and actually engage with the game in order to spend as little time as possible repacking your mags.

Personally, I not only don't mind not having the option to have the game do all the work for me, but I prefer not to have it. That being said, if a bunch of people want that feature, I'll probably add it. But if I do, it will be limited to Recruit and Regular difficulties.

Thank you for the feedback, though. I do really appreciate it, man!

Amazing update, the GUI and new features make this a mod almost a must-have. Very good to know I can unpack rounds from a belt and put them into my main rifle's magazines.

Thanks! If there's anything I can do to make it a definite must-have, let me know. I would really like to see this mod gain some popularity! It sucks when you spend a lot of time making a mod and then you can't even use it on any populated servers... 8(

Got it, I can't use my ArmA rig right now and thus I thought you used one of the "Custom Keybinds" in the menu.

Yay!

I haven't looked into what way you have them done, but perhaps it would be possible to add some definition for something like "time_per_bullet" or "time_to_connect" into magazines, which would, if defined, override the default values? Would be good for allowing people to make loose bullet, commercial ammo box, or stripper clip "magazines", whose only purpose would be to be reloaded into a weapon. What else would be good would be to allow the player to set a keybinding for unloading the current weapon of the player (I think currentMuzzle might allow for it to function for the GL as well).

Furthermore, its a niche idea since there isn't anything that would use the functionality in the base game, but perhaps have yet another keybinding that might be set for reloading a stripper clip or loose ammo into a gun that would accept it? (Would work well for loading shotguns one-shell-at-a-time, or using a stripper clip to top off a rifle like the SVT-40). I think it would need another possible setting in the configuration of a weapon.

I definitely think that it would be necessary to have empty magazines stored after a reload, and to have it possible to reload them, for the mod to live up to its full potential.

---edit---

Perhaps it would be possible to define empty magazines as their own item, with a definition in a normal magazine which defines what empty magazine it would become once empty; then, the empty magazine could contain some value defining the possible magazines it could then become, and when it was reloaded, it would become the normal magazine again?

Edited by Kaelies

I haven't looked into what way you have them done, but perhaps it would be possible to add some definition for something like "time_per_bullet" or "time_to_connect" into magazines, which would, if defined, override the default values? Would be good for allowing people to make loose bullet, commercial ammo box, or stripper clip "magazines", whose only purpose would be to be reloaded into a weapon.

I'm not sure I understand this, Kaelies. Could you go into a bit more detail?

What else would be good would be to allow the player to set a keybinding for unloading the current weapon of the player (I think currentMuzzle might allow for it to function for the GL as well).

I do plan on adding a way for the player to unload the magazines from their weapons. It will most likely just be an addition to the GUI that will look like how your weapon slots look in the inventory dialog. This way, the magazines in your weapons will be separate from the rest of your magazines, so you won't accidentally unload your weapon or anything, and you'll be able to add any of your magazines back into your weapons without leaving the dialog.

Furthermore, its a niche idea since there isn't anything that would use the functionality in the base game, but perhaps have yet another keybinding that might be set for reloading a stripper clip or loose ammo into a gun that would accept it? (Would work well for loading shotguns one-shell-at-a-time, or using a stripper clip to top off a rifle like the SVT-40). I think it would need another possible setting in the configuration of a weapon.

I don't really understand what you're saying here, either... Sorry. Also, I don't know what a stripper clip is.

I definitely think that it would be necessary to have empty magazines stored after a reload, and to have it possible to reload them, for the mod to live up to its full potential.

---edit---

Perhaps it would be possible to define empty magazines as their own item, with a definition in a normal magazine which defines what empty magazine it would become once empty; then, the empty magazine could contain some value defining the possible magazines it could then become, and when it was reloaded, it would become the normal magazine again?

This is the main thing that I want to add.

The ideas I've come up with so far are:

1.) Create a new item for each magazine type that can be added to your inventory. The benefit of this option is that when you look at your inventory, you'll see the actual empty 30Rnd 6.5mm STANAG mags and stuff. The problem, though, is that I can't just create a loop in a config that will go through and create a new item based off all the magazines in CfgMagazines, so if there's an update that adds a new magazine type or you download an addon, there won't be an empty magazine variant for it.

2.) Keep track of the empty magazines in an array. This solves the problem of the previous idea, but with this solution, you wouldn't have the physical magazines in your inventory. So you wouldn't have the added weight or clutter, and if someone were to kill you, they wouldn't be able to take your empty magazines off your body...

3.) Wait for BIS to fix the problem of empty magazines breaking all the scripting commands related to magazines.

I haven't looked into what way you have them done, but perhaps it would be possible to add some definition for something like "time_per_bullet" or "time_to_connect" into magazines, which would, if defined, override the default values? Would be good for allowing people to make loose bullet, commercial ammo box, or stripper clip "magazines", whose only purpose would be to be reloaded into a weapon.

What I was thinking here...

...would be to have some sort of additional configuration parameter in the magazine, say:

cfgMagazines
{
   class CA_Magazine;

class example_65x39_Box: CA_Magazine
   {
       count = 60;
       displayname = "Box of 6.5 Rounds";
       ammo = "B_65x39_Caseless";
       mass = (something smaller than what two mags would weigh);

Outlw_Repack_time_per_bullet = 0.8;

...other things
   };
};

The script could then read whether a magazine has something like that defined via something similar to:

getnumber (configFile >> "cfgMagazines" >> (currentMagazine player) >> "Outlw_Repack_time_per_bullet")

And the player would then reload from or to that magazine taking 0.8 seconds per bullet, instead of 1.5 I think you said? This could then be used to have a magazine that is say, just an ammo-can of 200 bullets, that can't be directly loaded into any gun, and which could be loaded into a partially-filled magazine faster (since you don't have to take the bullets out of the first magazine), and carried around like anything else.

Similarly, one could put something along the lines of:

Outlw_Repack_time_to_connect = 1.0;

In the same place, so that it would always take 1 second to connect that entire magazine into another one, like you have belts working; this would make it possible for people to make stripper clips defined in CfgMagazines, that you could then reload into a partially-filled magazine.

By the way, a stripper clip, also known as a charger, is a small bit of metal that holds ammunition on it, usually 5-15 rounds, for the purpose of making it easier to load a magazine. Naturally, they weigh a good bit less than the actual magazine. Soldiers are able to load them into a magazine, usually needing some form of adapter, at a far faster rate than loading them in one-by-one:

WtKAMhwl.jpg

Some guns with an open top have an adapter built into them, so it is possible to load directly into the gun, like in the m14 (though sadly the MK18 ABR that's in-game already is missing said adapter...)

HVrheXhl.jpg

-----------------------------------------

On the subject of empty magazines...

...if the issue is that the magazines aren't showing up if you use "magazines player", you can use...

uniformItems
vestItems
backpackItems

...to see if the player has any such magazines in their inventory. You could then check the number of magazines that only show up via those methods versus the amount of magazines that would show up with a normal check to find out how many empty magazines the player has of each type.

Finally, if its of any use, the following line of code could be used to get all the magazine classnames that can be loaded into the player's current gun:

getArray (configFile >> "cfgWeapons" >> (currentweapon player) >> "Magazines")

Sorry for the rather long post, but hopefully it helps make what I mean more understandable :D

Outlawled, I'm asking permission to rename your mod folder and slightly edit the mod .cpp to change the displayed name. This is because I have a lot of Mods and keeping default names makes things quite messed up!

Yay!

*Lots of words and stuff*

I dunno, that whole stripper clip thing just seems like too much. Not sure a whole lot of people would get much use out of a feature like that.

I do plan on adding ammo boxes, though.

And for the empty magazines, unfortunately the problem isn't that simple. I haven't done a whole lot of testing, but it just kind of renders the magazine-related scripting commands useless. Sometimes the empty magazine will show up in the magazine commands return arrays, but some of the full magazines won't, and sometimes the empty magazine won't show up. It depends on the empty magazine's placement in the array.

I'd rather wait for BIS to fix the bug than to come up with a complex workaround.

Outlawled, I'm asking permission to rename your mod folder and slightly edit the mod .cpp to change the displayed name. This is because I have a lot of Mods and keeping default names makes things quite messed up!

Yay!

Yeah, that's fine, Glitpal. Just out of curiosity, what are you going to change it to?

can you give the possibility for the server to set the reload times?

ps good work with v3 keep it up

Yeah, sure. I'll put that in the next update. Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, that's fine, Glitpal. Just out of curiosity, what are you going to change it to?
It would be @MAGPACK_CBA

Yay!

I haven't had a issue with them.
Good to know, thanks.

Yay!

Sorry to bug you, but for the sake of this thread I'd like to know if your mod is still conflicting with L etranger's VTS Simple weapon resting. :D

Yay!

It was never actually conflicting with that mod. I think they discovered that the problem was WW AI Menu, which was then fixed:

Yes, the problem was sorted by Windwalking. It seems he was overriding other eventhandlers. Mag repack is working as intended.

I only downloaded this 5 minutes ago and had a quick playaround with it.

What a neat little mod - really impressed :)

haha. i just watched the video for the first time. your attitude is entertaining. i don't really care about being able to repack my mags but now that i saw the UI you created i'll just use it because how easy to use and well executed it is. i'm also digging the style of the menu with the free floating bars on the sides.

good stuff. keep it up!

The mod stops working with savegames.

I relly hope someone will adress this issue sooner or later, because both BI and the CBA team are blatantly ignoring the fact that a good deal of Mods simply stop working after a reload.

Yay!

The mod stops working with savegames.

I relly hope someone will adress this issue sooner or later, because both BI and the CBA team are blatantly ignoring the fact that a good deal of Mods simply stop working after a reload.

Yay!

I get around that issue by detecting that the save game is loaded and just rebind the key to my function in WW AIMenu. It seems that key binding has to have serialization disabled so it won't save with the save game. Not sure if this is the same issue here.

As great as Karel Mořický's load-detecting script is, though, Windwalking, each instance of it creates two new threads. Which, by itself may not be a big deal, but if every addon-maker used this solution, then a user with 10 mods installed would have 20 extra threads running at any given moment.

And, I mean...I dunno. Maybe that's not a huge deal, either.

It just doesn't seem very optimal to have a bunch of extra threads running for each mod a player has installed.

I'm currently working on a solution for this problem that doesn't produce any extra threads, but it's got its own downsides, so whatever. Just another way of doing it.

EDIT: That's not meant to sound passive aggressive, by the way. In case it came off as such.

Edited by Outlawled

Great, glad to know you're working on it.

Since you both are in Modding (I'd like to start doing some modding since I have a couple ideas myself, but need some help to get started), do you know if the guys at CBA are working on the issue?

Yay!

I have no idea if CBA is working on it or not, to be honest. I don't really keep up with CBA's development, I just use it to launch mods.

It's funny that you mention that you want to start modding, Gliptal, because I'm actually working on a bit of a tutorial for basic addon-making.

Essentially, I'm going to make a relatively basic addon from scratch and record the whole process with commentary. Because, you know, I'm really good at commentaries. Have you seen my Mag Repack video?

I'm really good at commentaries. Like, really good.

Gliptal, I don't think you understand. I'm really good. I say words, and I don't sound dumb ever or anything. It's great. I'm great.

I'm...I'm great.

I am.

R-right?

...Gliptal?

:confused_o:

Anyway. Um, yeah, it should help you to get started with modding for sure. Maybe. Depending on how much I don't fuck it up...