Sign in to follow this  
Damacles

Look who's talking and Tac signs

First off I have to admit that I haven't played ArmA 2, somehow it just didn't click after playing ArmA, so if what I am about to say is totally redundant or surpassed,Vanilla or otherwise, please forgive me and ignore this post.

I always had a hard time when playing Co-operative multiplayer in ArmA 1 trying to figure out who was talking and who exactly I was supposed to be teamed up with. In real life audio and visual definition is far better so knowing who is talking is normally quite easy, not to mention that you often know exactly who has just said something because of their voice/accent and associating that with somebody you are familiar with. Unfortunately that doesn't seem to carry over into ArmA, through no fault of their own.

First off would it be possible to have some form of TAC sign system implemented,either vanilla or as a mod ? I know that it's possible to have squad logo's but could that be carried over to TAC signs ?. What I mean by that is each Team or squad is represented by a symbol or colour represented on the player by something like a shoulder flash and or a flash on the back of the helmet (much like some Americans had a painted bar on the back of their tin lids during the Second World War), nothing flashy, just so that when you form up and you're standing next to somebody you know that you're in the right group. A Squad/troop might be represented by a shaped shoulder patch, each team/section then having their own colour, for example First squad might have a triangle and the first Team in that Squad, theirs would be red, second team white etc etc. It might also be useful for vehicles to take on the TAC sign of the driver in that whoever jumps in the drivers seat has their TAC sign superimposed on the doors, bonnet etc of the vehicle similar to vehicle unit identification in the real world.

Secondly, knowing who's talking, because it is difficult associating voices with bodies, would it be possible to have some form of subtle indicator, obviously better for VON in that you can restrict who sees it but also available, if in a more general way for TS ? If some form of TAC sign system, as mentioned above, was implemented then would it be possible/desirable to have the TAC sign glow slightly, just enough to notice the difference, before fading away, to indicate who had just spoken ?

If you find a server with custom gear boxes then a good fireteam indication we found was wearing different colored hats

Like team red would consist of everyone on that fireteam wearing red baseball caps and team blue to blue etc.

Found that it was alot faster and easier for the different teams to fall in with the correct sections pretty quickly without to much confusion.

Also for the knowing who is talking.

have a google search for acre or look up some youtube videos of it.

I hope the new clothing system also allows for adding extra items to a player his gear. I just want to be able to attach a bandana or scarf or so to random parts of my body. Maybe I want to attach it to my left arm, maybe to my right arm. Maybe around my neck or around a leg. I don't know if this is possible in Arma3 (It wasn't in Arma2 as far as I know), to layer extra things onto the clothing, but it would be really nice. Also, instead of replacing your helmet by a cap, it would be really nice to attach a cover/net.

I really don't know how to mod or any of that, but else I would've looked into it.