Sign in to follow this  
Αplion

ArmA III - Hellenic Armed Forces MOD - (HAFM)

I believe zach72 requested that the aircraft be able to move backwards on ground for easier navigation around strips, taxiways etc.

Correct. It's a trick I remember the Hercules doing at air shows. Really short landing due to putting engines in reverse, then taxi backwards to manoeuvre itself. Would be really useful considering its size and no tow trucks.

A tow truck would b more useful and if Bohemia had setup there maps a little more smartly that wouldn't be a issue. Honestly though you can fit a bunch of c-130s and c-17s in a little space by doing that, but the reality is we aren't moving XXXXXX tons of cargo a day or 1000+ PAX in and out of a location. Having worked flightlines all my life, a good strip will have a circuit parking where they pull in pull out, and not require backing up. Many operational C-130s I saw couldn't back up from time to time due to minor engine issues and not wanting to break in a certain area of the world. As for maintenance theres always a tug of some kind around at any semi improved base. Good idea but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

A tow truck would b more useful and if Bohemia had setup there maps a little more smartly that wouldn't be a issue. Honestly though you can fit a bunch of c-130s and c-17s in a little space by doing that, but the reality is we aren't moving XXXXXX tons of cargo a day or 1000+ PAX in and out of a location. Having worked flightlines all my life, a good strip will have a circuit parking where they pull in pull out, and not require backing up. Many operational C-130s I saw couldn't back up from time to time due to minor engine issues and not wanting to break in a certain area of the world. As for maintenance theres always a tug of some kind around at any semi improved base. Good idea but I wouldn't worry about it for now.

The maps are setup from real world data of the locations. Not every runway is designed smartly in real life either...

---------- Post added at 08:05 ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 ----------

I'm not sure that this is possible for ArmA aircrafts ... but I'll search about it (if anyone has any relative info - or some other addon which might do this, I'll be glad to hear about).

Aircraft similar to the C-130 like the C-17 and the A-400m can reverse on the ground but you should double check if the C-130 can from some credible sources. Slowing down is one thing, but actually backing up is another. For aircraft that can, there is a position for a crew man that helps the pilot not hit anything because the pilot cannot see behind the aircraft.

I reckon we shouldnt worry too much about having to do heaps of research around just to find out if the real counterpart actually does reverse. If it is possible to do such a thing in A3, then by all means add it. If its not, then just forget it and move on.

As Modder said ... I'm not sure that making an aircraft move backwards is possible in A3 (at least without scripting) and also I'm not sure for the practical success of such movement due to visibility limitations of the pilot in aircraft cockpit.

Guys ... I've not asked for help on real parameters of that subject ... I was for 30 years aircraft engineer on civil aviation so I have the sources for such things :). The only thing I've asked for, was relative to ArmA 3 capabilities in order to incorporate something like that.

Thanks

Hello Aplion,

First at all, thank you for your brilliant work, I enjoy Arma 3 much more since you released your aircrafts.

And speaking about you aircraft, the feeling is great, thx again.

I have a question. When I'm flying one of your aircraft over a ZSU-39 Tigris, I don't get any warning when it fires missiles.

Do you plan to integrate warnings for incoming missile, like FA/18 from John_Spartan n Saul ?

Thanks for reading me.