Sign in to follow this  
TSAndrey

Water is the 1# performance killer

As the title says, water is by far the biggest performance killer for me! I get stable FPS on land and when looking at mountains, but as soon as I look towards the ocean, my FPS drops to like 10-15. Am I doing something wrong or is it like this for everyone?

I really don't see a reason why the water kills my FPS, since it's not even anything special.

also if you have many AI on map

Yes, but still not as bad as the water.

In a lot of MP Missions my game crashes without a message. It just minimizes itself, the process inside my task manager goes to inactive and I see my desktop with the ArmA III cursor. I can't click anything, I have to use my keyboard inside the task manager to quit the process. All on Win8 64-Bit.

In a lot of MP Missions my game crashes without a message. It just minimizes itself, the process inside my task manager goes to inactive and I see my desktop with the ArmA III cursor. I can't click anything, I have to use my keyboard inside the task manager to quit the process. All on Win8 64-Bit.

I think that's a bug rather than a performance issue! I still don't understand why water eats so much FPS....

Also vehicles.

In other words, everythings lags if you look at anything besides the ground directly under you or the sky.

I didn't notice any special FPS drop around vehicles. Maybe you should try turning off PiP?

water is like NO performance killer, at least not on my system, wich has a pretty old CPU and is really sentitive to framedrops...

so i dont even know what you are talking about but you generalization is definately not justified...

Have had zero issues with water killing performance. Biggest FPS drops for me occur when looking at destroyed buildings, followed by trees/vegetation. Building ruins are a huge killer for me, in upwards of a +20 FPS drop.

I'm 100% serious and real. Just looking at the direction of water halves my FPS

I also see the FPS drop when looking at water... drops by about 10 FPS.

you didnt even tell your system and setting, and this performance issue might be really specific...

some settings affect GPU mroe and some CPU more.

there are my specs and setting, and i DO have fps issues on serval occasions but not on water at all

as for the people that have performance issues on vegetation and building: turn object detail down, it will have a major impact on your framerate, especially if there are a lot of buildings.

as a reference point i think this position comes handy, because it seems to be the most hardware demanding spot on stratis, if you have good fps there you will have them everywhere (with possible exception if you play on a shitty server, like most wasteland servers, they kill fps a lot)

6B34C71CA3341DBD666BD490A95322584F50F57A

My System Specs:

Intel Xeon X3220 2,4ghz OC @3,6ghz

4gb DDR2 1033mhz

AMD 6970 OC (power color PCS+)

SSD 256mb Corsair Neutron

Basic

-Resolution: 1920x1080x32

-Visibility: Overall: 1490 Vis: 1000 Shadow:70

Rendering:

-3D Resolution: 150%

-AA: Disabled

-PPAA: FXAA on standard

-ATOC: Disabled

Postprocesses:

-Quality: Disabled

-HDR: Standard

-Anisotropic Filtering: Very High

-PIP: Standard

-Dynamic Lights: Very High

Quality:

-Texture Detail: Ultra

-Object Quality: Low or Standard

-Terrain Quality: Ultra

-Cloud Quality: Ultra

-Shadow Quality: High

-Particles Quality: High

Exactly, this is the most FPS demanding position on the whole island.

I just tested it: I get 30 stable FPS when looking at normal land, and 15 FPS when I turn around and look at "empty" water. How can this be? The water in Arma 3 is not even special. Is there a way to tweak the water?

My specs:

Dual Core 3.07 GHz

3 GB RAM

ATI HD Radeon 4650

Windows 7

Yes, I know my GPU is not that good, but it's well above the minimum requirements, and I don't see why simple water or AI (which is supposedly used by the CPU) would ruin my FPS!

ATI HD Radeon 4650

Yes, I know my GPU is not that good, but it's well above the minimum requirements

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

minimum is 8800GT, 3830 or hd4000, your card is faster than a hd4000 but it's much slower than a 8800gt, so I'd stay you're barely over minimum requirements. I take it you're already running on 800x600?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html

minimum is 8800GT, 3830 or hd4000, your card is faster than a hd4000 but it's much slower than a 8800gt, so I'd stay you're barely over minimum requirements. I take it you're already running on 800x600?

Basic

-Resolution: 1280x1024x32

-Visibility: Overall: 2200 Object: 1500 Shadow:50

Rendering:

-Rendering res.: 100%

-AA: Disabled

-PPAA: FXAA on standard

-ATOC: Disabled

Postprocesses:

-Quality: Disabled

-HDR: Standard

-Anisotropic Filtering: High

-PIP: Disabled

-Dynamic Lights: Standard

Quality:

-Texture Detail: Standard

-Object Quality: Standard

-Terrain Quality: High

-Cloud Quality: Standard

-Shadow Quality: Standard

-Particles Quality: Standard

a 5:4 monitor?

anyway, I'd recommend running lower viewdistance, lower resolution and turning other stuff to low as well. you're barely over minimum requirements, so unless you match the settings I wouldn't expect very playable framerates.

I would also like to add night as a performance killer. FPS drops with at least 20 % when playing at night.

a 5:4 monitor?

anyway, I'd recommend running lower viewdistance, lower resolution and turning other stuff to low as well. you're barely over minimum requirements, so unless you match the settings I wouldn't expect very playable framerates.

That's seems pretty silly. I can play the game perfectly fine, but need to lower settings just because some stupid water and AI ruin my FPS?

Refusing to lower settings when running the minimum requirements, just because some parts of the game still run ok is silly too.

do you even have a 5:4 monitor? Anyway, why not run 1280x720 with black borders top and bottom, should be a "free" 30% boost, not much going on in the top and bottom anyway.

Is there some way to forcibly turn off the water? It seems to be doing tons of software physics calculations with the waves even at a great distance. I always run near max view distance.