Sign in to follow this  
frag

Who would like to have reasonable rain.

Hi guys,

I was reading the Truesky weather effects thread and I was wondering…

How many of you would like to see rain in Arma 3. The engine displays beautiful sceneries and marvelous views … until it rains.

I can’t believe that such a beautiful engine still has poor rain like that. It remembers me early 90’s games.

Should we open a ticket on this?

Edited by frag

Any other games you guys saw that you appreciated the rain effect?

Good news guys! It was one of the last missing link for a beautiful weather engine! Keep the good work, we are all appreciating it :)

My fondest wish for rain effects that I know will never happen is things actually looking wet while it's raining. It could be as simple as a more 'shiny' effect on objects and characters, or clothes gradually darkening in rain or after having been in water, like in Ghost Recon, or objects actually having water running down them like in STALKER. It doesn't need to be as drastic as the latter example but some kind of 'wet' effect would increase immersion alot.

RoyaltyinExile would like that very much :yay:

I'm going to laugh so hard if it doesn't change when the full game is released.

GTA IV totally makes you wanna pull out the umbrella.

That game nailed "atmosphere" so dead on, it even makes you stay in a car when you´ve reached your destination just to listen a song to the end!

I have to say that indeed I remember GT4 rainy day. Notive the water raising behind the wheel. Arma 3 already have that effect for the dirt. So I guess having it for the rain would not be that hard ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsQuPdoBxbk

---------- Post added at 22:08 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Ho an this one is very good as well! This one is fact dead on!

Any other games come to your mind!?

...or objects actually having water running down them like in STALKER. It doesn't need to be as drastic as the latter example but some kind of 'wet' effect would increase immersion alot.

I'd would absolutely love this, I'm creating a STALKER island for ARMA3 so this would go down a treat for me immersion wise... ;)

Even the original STALKER did rain well enough using bumpmaps and gloss factor and the environment map (that small texture that tells you what reflections look like, whatever it's called). Basically, set the gloss factor too high and get a sort of gray gradient for that map and things start to look really wet without any performance cost that I'm aware of. I would be amazed if BIS couldn't get that into the renderer.

Wet ground effects will really sell the feeling of rain. If it's possible with the engine.

Any other games come to your mind!?

Sleeping Dogs also perfectly nailed the rainy weather of Hong Kong.

Sleeping Dog .... never saw it but yes I have to say that it is quite impressive...

Having a rain effect ala Carrier Command (another BIS game) would already be a HUGE improvement compared to the simple and bland looking texture they currently use for rain.

Hello there

Whilst a more realistic rain effect would be nice, it's not high on my list of priorities FX wise. Exlosions need a little care IMHO.

Rgds

LoK

Personally what I think missing is the suddent gust of wind and rain effect in storm weather

They should get the rain to cause small flash floods, would make sense as to why they have large storm drains and stuff on the map. Would also lead to tactical choke points.

They should get the rain to cause small flash floods, would make sense as to why they have large storm drains and stuff on the map. Would also lead to tactical choke points.

They had this in ArmA2 OA: ACR, so it should be possible.

I would definitely like some awesome rain effects. From what I've seen so far the engine is absolutely beautiful. Once the rain is nailed I can foresee some amazing scenarios in extremely bad weather.

Vietcong had great rain effect for it's time. For environmental aspects, Vietcong was way ahead of it's time and I remember the rain storms and sounds making me feel wet.

The clouds look amazing, but the rain looks terrible. But, it's still WIP, so let's hope it's improved! :)