Sign in to follow this  
Bahger

Just curious: Is anyone interested in no-respawn MP?

Could you explain to me how to apply a spectate script, and what this would be? I appreciate it, I'm a very experiencec mission designer but not in this engine.

IIRC, the latest dev builds all have an automatic spectator when you die and cannot respawn, so you don't even add anything.

I only miss the good old bis AIS that allowed you to survive some shots.

I only miss the good old bis AIS that allowed you to survive some shots.

Use Zeus AI, use TPWCAS suppression addon, and you'll have them back and more.

Use Zeus AI, use TPWCAS suppression addon, and you'll have them back and more.

I mean the Alternate Injury System.

The default "revive".

Partly thanks to your encouragement, I've finished my no-respawn coop mission, "Overwatch" and it works very nicely. I'd like to post it on this site and on Armaholic -- and link it in this thread -- but I'm embarrassed to say I can't find the thing. Are ArmA files no longer called *.pbo? I exported it as an MP mission from the editor, so where might it be? There's a folder with my filename in My Docs, but it's empty...

Respawn is mostly used for recon by death and one man army missile spam...not really something that should have any place in a milsim. You already get your second chance by the patch up medic system.

NVM, found the .pbo in Steam files, will post soon.

Here's the link to my mission, gents. Please let me know if you'd like to play it in coop with me. And thanks for your support and encouragement in the matter of n0-respawn missions!

Ghost Recon, Rainbow 6 and Hidden & Dangerous are mentioned on this forum more often then on official forums of those games, so the answer to your question should be quite obvious =)). As for me, this kind of missions are my favorite and I'm trying to explain to all my freinds that they're the best =). It's fun to play some battlefield-like missions (capturing points, infinite respawn) from time to time, but in the end I still prefer serious gameplay over casual.

Here's the thing: I played my own mission with a friend this morning. It's only a small mission, nothing like as sophisticated as some of the elaborate, sandbox respawn missions available in the Arma series, yet, as I led my squad to the objective and saw the enemy tracers arcing towards us, I heard the HMG I had called up to overwatch my movement into the town. The sound of that big gun banging away at targets in my path was hugely reassuring because I knew that it was finding enemies that would otherwise turn their attention to me. The HMG was tipping the odds in my favor where otherwise I'd probably die. The fact that there was no respawn made that possibility -- and the ability to avoid it -- so much more meaningful, and as "real" as most of us will ever get to the experience of being on a battlefield.

The realism (or rather the lack thereof) is what keeps me away from respawn missions, also the fact that "suicide scouting" suddenly becomes an acceptable practice. It's like a racing game that doesn't allow you to crash your car - eventually, you'll be playing a pinball race where you just bounce off the curbs instead of braking and trying to corner correctly.

Getting shot in a mission has to have meaning, and penalty. If you have to sit out the rest of the mission, then you will get more cautious, and in the process, learn to survive longer our of necessity. If there's respawn, you'll just "try your luck" more than once, jumping into the middle of an enemy camp machine gun blazing like a Holywood movie, only that this time you get mowed down and respawn somewhere.

Please note: I have updated my mission to enable it to be played in the Alpha 0.52 update.

Im all for no respawn :) Made my own mission that way. It really forces you to think about your action, rather then just hoping for the best and run for the hell of it :)

I do like the BTC-Revive though, using a medkit to respawn people. Its another element to take care of and not without risk.

But theres room for respawn missions, and it is needed in some cases to make the mission better.

Still prefer no respawn though ;)

Respawn? Hell I don't even like 1 save in SP - good at ya for no-respawn missions :)

I sometime make no respawn missions, but often I will have respawn but it will be punishing, such as having 20-30 min respawns, or having a limited assets mission so in order to get back to the fight someone has to come pick you up, or you have to walk. Respawn does change peoples behaviour, unless of course you make it a punishment.