Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Wheeled vehicle mouse-steering...

...seems to be a little tricksy again :)

In OFP the wheeled vehicles were very nice to drive, in ArmA2 they started off tricksy but a recent patch added a nice proportional (i.e. non-centralising) mouse control with an intuitive onscreen pipette to show you visually how much your vehicle was turning, or rather, what direction your vehicle would be driving if you entered no more input. This seems to have disappeared from ArmA3 and it's back to a self-centering guess, meaning that steering vehicles is back to being a bit of a swerve-fest.

Any chance of re-adding ArmA2's mouse steering system again?

It's already in. Change the controls for vehicles from left/right to more left/more right. It just lacks the chevron from OA.

I think it´s set up like that by default (at least, it was for me). I have to see the steering wheel to know how far I´m turning, and the turning of the wheel especially in the civilian truck is excruciatingly slow especially at high speeds.

I wish there was a sensitivity adjustment particularily for controlling different types of vehicles. Right now every time I get into a car to be able to steer I either have to hamfist it with the keys, or change the resolution on my mouse for increased sensitivity (which makes infantry unplayable because a millimeter of movement then turns me 180°)

I like this solution better than anything we had in Arma, since it´s basically the OA chevron. But it still needs improvement.

Ya I pretty much have to drive with the keys now. In OA I always used mouse. Kinda made me sad.

I was just about to make a post about this exact same issue. Mouse steering in ArmA 3 seems incredibly sluggish and unresponsive compared to ArmA 2 and ArmA 1.

Can you turn off mouse steering? Whenever I use ALT to look around with the mouse while WASD driving, it turns my vehicle off the road...

This problem has made driving land vehicles incredibly clumsy in the Beta so far. I have almost completely avoided land vehicles and just stuck to foot slogging so far, which is possible on stratis, but this will become an even bigger issue when the larger island comes out and foot slogging is no longer feasible