Sign in to follow this  
Silentace07

CO_02 Operation Night Owl by SilentAce07 (Assassination mission)

Morning Owl Beta 5.4 has been added. This version is compatible with the Arma 3 Beta

Mission Images

http://imgur.com/a/rpleu/all

A24B227332BF9B2AD1EF6D9CE4A478BFA3652872B560560722FC4A4DA99274E8D9557E8E51060B1C

Updates:

7/1/2013: Small fix due to BI changing heli name.

06/29/2013: Made for Arma 3 Beta. Much has been added. Enjoy.

Description:

This mission is a coop assassination mission. With a scuba insertion, you assault the marina and kill the leader. His stronghold is heavily protected by random patrolling guards and rooftop snipers. Beware of the guards as they are dynamically protecting the city and will flank and move together in teams.

I added in the Random House Garrison script (thanks Desrat!) to make even more dynamic. I actually used the script twice to create 2 concentrations of random and dynamic enemies throughout the town. They use balconies, windows, doorways, etc.

Features:

Player chooses helo insertion point

Random House Garrison implemented (new!)

Dynamic patrolling guards

Rooftop snipers

Variable numbers of enemies (within reason)

Friendly revive and respawn script (Farooq's Revive, thanks!)

Every playthough will be different

Artillery support added

Ammo box in building near respawn (near beach)

Simple, quick mission structure

Performance friendly

Installation

MP Version:

Place in your /Arma 3/MPMissions folder

SP Version:

Place in your /Arma 3/Missions folder

Known Issues:

None

Disclaimer:

I keep my missions simple. This is my second official release to the public. These missions can be completed relatively quickly and have good performance. I can't promise support for broken missions but they have been tested extensively.

Special Thanks:

Thanks to everyone who provided the scripts used in this mission:

Kronzky (UPS Script)

Giallustio (BTC Revive)

Farooq (Revive)

Desrat (Random House Garrison)

JW Custom (USPS)

Norrin (Aerial Taxi)

Also, a special thank to BI for making such a great game and allowing us to enjoy the alpha.

Changelog:

3/21/2013: Initial Release (Beta 1)

4/6/2013: Developer Build Beta 3.2 Added

4/13/2013: Version 3.3 added, Morning Owl added

6/2/2013: Mission overhaul

6/9/2013: Insertion added. Artillery added. +more

06/29/2013: Beta compatibility, much added.

07/01/2013: Small fix

Download Links (more to come)

CO-02 Morning Owl Beta 5.4 (New 7/1/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/127k1k5kcfc391a/CO_02_Operation_Morning_Owl_Beta_5.4_by_SilentAce07.Stratis.pbo

SP Morning Owl Beta 5.4 (New 7/1/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/h4oegdicdpbsk67/SP_Operation_Morning_Owl_Beta_5.4_by_SilentAce07.Stratis.pbo

PLEASE leave feedback. Thanks everyone!

Edited by Silentace07

I'll try it out man.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

For those of you who do play it, would you prefer enemies to use tac flashlights instead of nightvision? Maybe keep the sniper's nv goggles but patrols would use tac lights?

Beta 3 has been added.

I added in the Random House Garrison script (thanks Desrat!) to make even more dynamic. I actually used the script twice to create 2 concentrations of random and dynamic enemies throughout the town. They use balconies, windows, doorways, etc.

Mind making a no revive version?

This + making it playable in Singleplayer (group leader from playable to player, i think) would be awesome. Mission looks and plays very nice and the atmosphere is just great!

This + making it playable in Singleplayer (group leader from playable to player, i think) would be awesome. Mission looks and plays very nice and the atmosphere is just great!

Sure thing. Thanks for the feedback. I'll have a SP mission with no revive on the way.

Morning Owl has been added for those who prefer to play missions without night vision. The Patrol Script has been updated and enemy placements have also been adjusted. Also, both versions updated to 3.3.

This was a lot of fun. Thanks!

Two of us (both newbies) tried the morning mission first, since I like to see what I'm doing. :) We found that pretty tough (we died all too often), but lots of fun.

I would have much preferred scopes on our rifles, since I hate those red dots. And a daylight mission would seem made for snipers, right? (I tried scavenging a rifle from an enemy corpse, but then didn't have any extra ammunition for it.) More importantly, we couldn't use grenades until we rearmed at an enemy corpse. But I've seen that problem in several missions, not just this one. It's probably an Arma 3 issue.

Then, last night, we tried the night version, and that was a lot easier (although the grenade problem showed up here, too). I'd swear that there were far fewer enemies in that one. Or maybe it's just that we knew where they were? But no, I remember killing a guy in a particular, distinctive building, and there wasn't anyone there, this time. Also, we could see enemies in windows easier at night, so that helped.

Bottom line: This was a lot of fun! It was one of the few missions we were eager to try again (which is why we went back and tried the night version). However, it wasn't quite as much fun the second time. That's probably normal, but maybe you could randomize things a bit more? Even put the target in different locations, maybe? Also, it would help to have patrols throughout the town. Actually, that seemed to be the case in the morning owl mission, but not in the night owl one. But that might be just the way it worked out that time.

I don't mean to sound critical, since this was a fun mission - and we really need more short, simple missions for two players (at least, until we find more people to play with us - heh, heh). I really liked having enemies in buildings, because you couldn't just ignore the buildings that way, and you always had to worry about being shot from windows. With a little more randomization, and the potential for enemies everywhere in town, we'd definitely enjoy playing it again.

Thanks!

Bill

This was a lot of fun. Thanks!

Two of us (both newbies) tried the morning mission first, since I like to see what I'm doing. :) We found that pretty tough (we died all too often), but lots of fun.

I would have much preferred scopes on our rifles, since I hate those red dots. And a daylight mission would seem made for snipers, right? (I tried scavenging a rifle from an enemy corpse, but then didn't have any extra ammunition for it.) More importantly, we couldn't use grenades until we rearmed at an enemy corpse. But I've seen that problem in several missions, not just this one. It's probably an Arma 3 issue.

Then, last night, we tried the night version, and that was a lot easier (although the grenade problem showed up here, too). I'd swear that there were far fewer enemies in that one. Or maybe it's just that we knew where they were? But no, I remember killing a guy in a particular, distinctive building, and there wasn't anyone there, this time. Also, we could see enemies in windows easier at night, so that helped.

Bottom line: This was a lot of fun! It was one of the few missions we were eager to try again (which is why we went back and tried the night version). However, it wasn't quite as much fun the second time. That's probably normal, but maybe you could randomize things a bit more? Even put the target in different locations, maybe? Also, it would help to have patrols throughout the town. Actually, that seemed to be the case in the morning owl mission, but not in the night owl one. But that might be just the way it worked out that time.

I don't mean to sound critical, since this was a fun mission - and we really need more short, simple missions for two players (at least, until we find more people to play with us - heh, heh). I really liked having enemies in buildings, because you couldn't just ignore the buildings that way, and you always had to worry about being shot from windows. With a little more randomization, and the potential for enemies everywhere in town, we'd definitely enjoy playing it again.

Thanks!

Bill

Bill, try the new versions I uploaded today. The mission is much more difficult but dynamic. Enemies now work in groups and every playthrough is different. Let me know what you think.

Cheers!

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Mission has been overhauled. Beta 4.3 includes chopper support, more dynamic and difficult enemies, and a new dynamic patrol script. Revive has been temporarily removed but will be added into the next build.

I'm very excited for you all to try this.

CO-02 Morning Owl Beta 4.3 (New 6/2/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/?mxc6587x06zbmow

SP Morning Owl Beta 4.3 (New 6/2/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/?3q76utx3iy8oc89

Is it just Morning Owl which has been updated, or can you set the time in the parameters now? I see there's only one file.

Is it just Morning Owl which has been updated, or can you set the time in the parameters now? I see there's only one file.

I've really only been updating and playing Morning Owl lately. I can go in and change the time next time I get the chance and upload the night version for you.

Or maybe figure out how to include it in the parameters.

No problem. I normally prefer games set during the day, with good visibility. But in this case, I've mostly been playing Night Owl, partly because there weren't any scopes for our rifles (which really hurts in daytime missions) and partly because I liked being able to see enemies through the windows (which is easier at night - and as a newbie, I needed that advantage).

Oh, and can I say again how much I enjoyed finding enemies inside the buildings at Agia Marina? In every other mission I've played, I think, the houses are always empty, so we just ignore them. I really like having enemies everywhere, so we have to search a house before turning our backs on it. Nice job!

But don't bother changing things just for me. I was just wondering.

Bill

No problem. I normally prefer games set during the day, with good visibility. But in this case, I've mostly been playing Night Owl, partly because there weren't any scopes for our rifles (which really hurts in daytime missions) and partly because I liked being able to see enemies through the windows (which is easier at night - and as a newbie, I needed that advantage).

Oh, and can I say again how much I enjoyed finding enemies inside the buildings at Agia Marina? In every other mission I've played, I think, the houses are always empty, so we just ignore them. I really like having enemies everywhere, so we have to search a house before turning our backs on it. Nice job!

But don't bother changing things just for me. I was just wondering.

Bill

Well, with several thousand downloads for my other simple mission and very few for this mission in comparision, I'm trying to cater a little bit to the people who actually DO play this mission. I really enjoy it so I want to keep improving on it.

Also, as for the scopes.... Did you know that there's an ammo box in the first house near the dock? It's a small house and I do believe I left an ammo box with several scopes and sights inside. I also plan on adding a small raft with ammo inside as you swim up to shore. Or maybe starting on the raft/boat.. Either way.

Ideally, I'd have a pick your own approach mission where you could even snipe from the mountains. I'll look into my options.

Well, with several thousand downloads for my other simple mission and very few for this mission in comparison, I'm trying to cater a little bit to the people who actually DO play this mission. I really enjoy it so I want to keep improving on it.

Skirmish at Marina Bay isn't really a mission. I mean, it's fine practice, and I can see why it's been downloaded so often. But this one really is a mission, and it's great fun.

Of course, there have been a lot of missions set in Agia Marina. But as I've said previously, I think this is the only one with enemies in the houses there.

Also, as for the scopes.... Did you know that there's an ammo box in the first house near the dock?

No, we missed that - probably because we bypassed most of those houses, since they seemed to be too far from the target to cause a problem, even if they did have enemies inside. I'm anxious to try it again, now. :) In fact, I might try it single-player, since I don't think I've done that.

Thanks!

Bill

Skirmish at Marina Bay isn't really a mission.

100% agreed.

Definitely adding a small raft/boat with gear next update.

Thanks a lot. I appreciate it.

For those of you who do play it, would you prefer enemies to use tac flashlights instead of nightvision? Maybe keep the sniper's nv goggles but patrols would use tac lights?

Tac-Lights. If the enemy have NVG's then it doesnt matter whether mission is at night or day. With enemy not having NVG's, then it provides the player with a greater sense of stealth gameplay.

Version 5.0 Added

Updates:

6/9/13: The mission can now be played however you like. You choose where you want your helo insertion to be. You can choose your loadout on the flight out. Farooq's revive has been added for the coop version. Haven't tested extensively but works well. Artillery support has been added.

CO-02 Morning Owl Beta 5.0 (New 6/9/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/wk...07.Stratis.pbo

SP Morning Owl Beta 5.0 (New 6/9/13)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/4s...07.Stratis.pbo

Hi Silentace07!

Have a blast with de Morning Owl beta 5.0. I choose a path of infiltrating and killing everyone inside :) Was good for training. But, where is the Night version? The download directs to the morning version.

Hi Silentace07!

Have a blast with de Morning Owl beta 5.0. I choose a path of infiltrating and killing everyone inside :) Was good for training. But, where is the Night version? The download directs to the morning version.

Sorry, I'll bundle Night Owl with it next chance I get.

Thanks for the feedback though!

spawning in on the second slot in MP on the current link from the OP spawns you as a bird and gives you a mission failed, but the first person spawns. just wanted to let you know thanks for making this cool mission, works fine in SP.

spawning in on the second slot in MP on the current link from the OP spawns you as a bird and gives you a mission failed, but the first person spawns. just wanted to let you know thanks for making this cool mission, works fine in SP.

Thanks. I will fix today.

Nice mission! Just played the Co-Op. It was a bit too easy clearing the village with the sniper rifles. Guess next time we'll try without them. Garnison works perfectly. Scared the shit outta me when I opened a door and there was an entire AI squad in there.

Thanks man, lemme know when you got it and i'll try it out.