Sign in to follow this  
EmirSc

[210.6MB]Update changelog? 21-mar-2013

For the dummies amongst us: how do find and install (in detail) the updates for the Arma III Alpha steam version?

For the dummies amongst us: how do find and install (in detail) the updates for the Arma III Alpha steam version?

Should be automatic. Steam auto-installs all updates. The stable version hasn't been updated yet. Although the update didn't do much of anything for me anyway (I'm using the dev build).

I tried latest dev build for the first time today, Dont know what bis did but i got a huge boost:D 40 player wasteland server with 37 players on it ran 50 - 60 fps and felt a lot smoother. TDM server with 20 player sat on 59.9 fps so with better DS and then Video drivers i think its looking good for 60fps :yay::bounce3:

Running Win8x64, i7 950 @4.1, 8gig 1600, Evga GTX680 sig2

Edited by Smiley_ie

Can confirm FPS boost! Finally! Whatever bis did, they did something right. Same scenario (It is exactly) that i test between patches, and got around 6-8 in fps boost. From 59-60 to 66-68

so most of moaners can shout it already, as BIS devs said, they are working on fixing things up.

Finally! Whatever bis did, they did something right.

something ? With ARMA-3 they did everything right.

My performance seems jacked -back to Very High/Ultra; VD 2800 and average FPS in SP scenarios 40-60.

Somethings up with the AI tho - I can place a full enemy Infantry group (Guard WP) on an airfeld with plain open view and myself 300m away. By just straight up charging at them (no firing), they're not really opening up on me at all until around 100m. Even worse, at 50m I was able to side strafe the whole squad for a good 12 seconds before they finally got me... And pretty sure it was GL that got me -not rifle fire. Ok one AI is bad but a whole squad?!?!

Hopefully AI is next on cook list after performance :)

Whew, good thing this was caught: "Staging revealed showstoppers for default branch update, so we are postponing it beyond the weekend."

I've seen no difference in FPS with this new update. I'm not sure if people are having another round of placebo effect, if some are having performance increases and some aren't, or if it's just on my end in particular.

Considering some of the strange reactions related to performance, it's probably the former. I hope not, though.

Intel i5 2500k

g.skill 8GB

GTX 560.

if the devs should work from that, they would need to know what difficulty parameters you were running under

Thanks for the videos 'froggyluv', and OMG the AI must have all gotten a free marijuana upgrade since the update! I wonder if BI have changed the default AI difficulty level right down for some unknown reason. Is it possible to check and see if it can be forced back up? (I can't check right now due to guests). Also I use steam, is the upgrade you a talking about automatic or the one where you have to choose the beta option to get the dev builds?

Thanks for the videos 'froggyluv', and OMG the AI must have all gotten a free marijuana upgrade since the update! I wonder if BI have changed the default AI difficulty level right down for some unknown reason. Is it possible to check and see if it can be forced back up? (I can't check right now due to guests). Also I use steam, is the upgrade you a talking about automatic or the one where you have to choose the beta option to get the dev builds?
For now it's only with the Dev Build (the Beta Option), the main update was moved after the weekend...

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-branch-changelog&p=2351264#post2351264

Yay!

something ? With ARMA-3 they did everything right.

That was not what i meant. It was that they did something right to boost the FPS in this patch and prob utilize the Cpu a bit more, but i can't confirm that tho i haven't exact numbers on what the Cpu used before and now, but some says it utilize it a bit more.

I've seen no difference in FPS with this new update. I'm not sure if people are having another round of placebo effect, if some are having performance increases and some aren't, or if it's just on my end in particular.

Considering some of the strange reactions related to performance, it's probably the former. I hope not, though.

It's down right comical that we have all these posts (in this thread and previously) claiming FPS improvements from patches, fixes, etc, but I think I've seen someone actually give real benchmark numbers once. ONCE. Protip: You're not confirming jack by saying "Confirmed!" :j:

I'm looking forward to trying the new build, but I'm not going to hold my breath when it comes to a "100%" FPS increase.

It's down right comical that we have all these posts (in this thread and previously) claiming FPS improvements from patches, fixes, etc, but I think I've seen someone actually give real benchmark numbers once. ONCE. Protip: You're not confirming jack by saying "Confirmed!" :j:

I'm looking forward to trying the new build, but I'm not going to hold my breath when it comes to a "100%" FPS increase.

I've seen no increase in performance (FPS, CPU/GPU usage) as a result of this latest update.

Oh, and @charliemilk: everybody has to use Steam for Arma 3...

if the devs should work from that, they would need to know what difficulty parameters you were running under

A good point. It seems Difficulty settings do not keep in current state of Alpha in the editor thereby forcing you to play on Regular. The Arma 2 footage was Veteran and after changing the same scenario to Regular -lo and behold I was able to do some evasive running for maybe 20 seconds. Back to Vet and I was generally dead in under 8 seconds on average.

Next I simply copied pasted the Veteran settings from the config and pasted them onto my Regular settings (Arma 3) -the results were basically the same with maybe a slight decrease in survival time -avg 35 seconds life span side strafing.

About the fps issue, I probably stumble on a findings. I found that when I play with steam in offline mode, I got a slightly better fps. Not much, but enough to be quite noticeable. And Btw, you don't have to be online to start steam in offline mode. When you start your PC and no internet, steam will pop up a window saying you want to quit, or start in offline mode. I click start offline mode and steam start in offline mode. And I played ARMA3 like that. And that's how I notice the difference.

I tested this in Agia Marina with 1 Squad vs 1 Squad. The one place that is confirmed to be lagging when the bullets start flying on my PC

the update for dev build increased my fps by 100%

anyone else?

This update didnt help me at all. Still 18-20 fps in Wasteland 1.06 and gpu usage only 37-40%.

I mean, what did the 210MB patch do that was worth the size? Change up a few things on the map? There's no noticeable difference, no noticeable improvement in anything for me. And, still, in the Alpha known issues, there's still a long list of rather superficial issues rather than the most important ones (the most important ones should be any problems with performance, then broken features/bugs/glitches, then aesthetics problems. Should be the order of priority for any game). I understand it's alpha but these are issues that have existed since at least Arma 2 (talking about CPU-related performance issues). Aesthetics and fish swimming on shore and boats making the water splash effect on shore are not priorities and should be reserved for beta imo. Performance issues need to be resolved sooner rather than later, as they probably require the most time to fix. As said, it's alpha, but it's sad when there's a 210MB update that no one can recognize or see any visible difference. Not asking for performance to be completely flawless now or ever, but would like to see this RV engine CPU-limiting performance issue at top of the known issues list. Otherwise we'll have another thread like this where people are scratching their heads trying to figure out what this large update accomplished.