Sign in to follow this  
Fatheet

Size of final map.

Huh. I just checked the land area of a very similar island (its name rhymes with "Shlemnos"). According to Wikipedia and WolframAlpha, the land area of that island is 476 square km.

The A3 island was originally planned to BE Lemnos (ie, also the name).

They've run through a refusal by local authorities, if I'm not mistaken, and had to change the name.

So the island we'll have IS in fact Lemnos, tweaked. One of the tweak may well be a simple scale down, so the size of the original island should not be a proof of the in-game island size.

The A3 island was originally planned to BE Lemnos (ie, also the name).

They've run through a refusal by local authorities, if I'm not mistaken, and had to change the name.

So the island we'll have IS in fact Lemnos, tweaked. One of the tweak may well be a simple scale down, so the size of the original island should not be a proof of the in-game island size.

Island isn't and wasn't going to be The Lemnos, just inspired by it and with some similarities on some parts. The name was going to be Limnos but changed to Altis after the two developers were arrested and imprisoned for months and accused of espionage on the real Lemnos.

Edited by Placebo

Posting an offensive comment about a whole nation of people just because the actions of a few was deplorable is completely unacceptable here, please refrain from doing so.

The A3 island was originally planned to BE Lemnos ...

Yes, I was being super-subtle and not mentioning the island that we rarely mention.

After some fairly rough work on Google Maps and in the Gimp, I came up with this:

wB0Nyjt.png

The scaling is done from the 5km mark on the Original Image and the scale marker from GMaps and I was fairly careful about it. The result shows that Altis is very close to 75% of the size of a very similar island. Which leads to it being 56% of the land mass. And, no surprise, 270 is very close to 56% of 476.

It'll be interesting for anyone trying to use real GPS co-ordinates in-game (particularly people doing ultra-accurate checks of the solar and lunar cycles, and starmap).

Edited by 10T

After some fairly rough work on Google Maps and in the Gimp, I came up with this:

Excellent work. Thank you for this.

That is some fine research you've done! Very nice visual :cool:

Yes, I was being super-subtle and not mentioning the island that we rarely mention.

http://i.imgur.com/wB0Nyjt.png

The scaling is done from the 5km mark on the Original Image and the scale marker from GMaps and I was fairly careful about it. The result shows that Altis is very close to 75% of the size of a very similar island. Which leads to it being 56% of the land mass. And, no surprise, 270 is very close to 56% of 476.

It'll be interesting for anyone trying to use real GPS co-ordinates in-game (particularly people doing ultra-accurate checks of the solar and lunar cycles, and starmap).

I'm sad to see that the island in game will be 75% of the real island, because i creat lower mountain, so it is less realistic, i mean in helicoper you can fly over the island for 8 minutes ... So fighter jet a so useless, you will pass the island in 4 minutes .... =/

I'm sad to see that the island in game will be 75% of the real island, because i creat lower mountain, so it is less realistic, i mean in helicoper you can fly over the island for 8 minutes ... So fighter jet a so useless, you will pass the island in 4 minutes .... =/

Have this been a problem in earlier islands? Because isn't this the biggest yet? So if it haven't been a problem earlier, I don't see how it could be worse on Altis.

No saying that altitudes are changed or have reduced as much as the 25% reduction of land mass which would make the mountains even more pronounced than the real island. Fingers crossed.

Arma has never been a flight sim, so of course you won't be flying for 1 hour to cross the map.

This is the biggest map ever to hit the series.

Yea its big and all but only somewhat really.(actually it adds quite a bit but the Chern should be overlayed the actual island itself.)People keep adding in the underwater. I have yet to see a reasonable underwater mission take place more than 200m away from shore.

4 minutes is an insane amount of time. I'm also pretty sure it will be even less... Why would you even need more? This is not a flight simulator!

I don't usually fly as I die when I do. But as I have previously said, I hope we can get to the highest point on Altis. :)

I hope we get to see an aircraft carrier,just imagine how cool it would be to have it as a foothold in domination/evolution missions.