Sign in to follow this  
Fatheet

Size of final map.

Hello.

I apologize for my English.

I find it hard to read the entire forum.

What is the average size of card will be after the release?

I would like to have that card was more than ARMA 2.

This question is very important to me.

And what is the maximum limit of players on one map?

The current map in the alpha is called Stratis, it is about 20km² in size. In the final game we will also have another map called Altis, it will be 270km² in size. so 13,5 times larger then the current map. Both these maps are set in the mediterranean region. So no, there will no maps like the eastern europe Chernarus or desert Takistan.

The maximum amount of players on a map is the maximum amount of players you can host for. There can be infinite amount of AI soldiers.

I think Altis is going to be about 270km^2.

Wow.

And the second question is not known?

Maximum amount of players depends on what the server can handle. There is no real limit, you can have as many players as you want, but if there are too many the game will lag.

NeMeSiS

Wonderful, I will need to buy a supercomputer.

Thanks to all.

Magirot

Yes, very exciting 15 minutes of flying in a helicopter cutting off the map.

Scale war will be very large.

Been wondering. Is the 275 only the landmass? Or does that number include the seafloor/ocean?

Been wondering. Is the 275 only the landmass? Or does that number include the seafloor/ocean?

I've just heard 270 sq km.

I've looked at a couple of the comparison images people have made trying to determine that. So far all it has done is shown how off most of the overlays are.

Wasn't Chernarus supposed to be 225 km2? It shouldn't be that small in comparison, should it? o_O

It was, but that 225 km2 included the sea, which wasn't really used much in Arma 2. The 270 km2 figure for Altis is just its landmass, I think it's supposed to be 900 km2 including the ocean.

It was, but that 225 km2 included the sea, which wasn't really used much in Arma 2. The 270 km2 figure for Altis is just its landmass, I think it's supposed to be 900 km2 including the ocean.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, but source?

There can be infinite amount of AI soldiers.

No there cannot, not sure how you figured that one out as there is a limit:

NXjBD6a.jpg

It's a high amount, but it's definitely not infinite.

Actually, you can count the land squares (which each represent 1km) on the Chernarus map and it comes down to roughly 220-230 km2. So someone has clearly goofed up while making the comparison map. Even if Chernarus has its land in a more concentrated area, it still shouldn't be that small.

E: My gut says that it'd be correct if it was stretched to the third large square on the background ArmA 3 map. Which each represents 5km. So the whole Altis including the sea would be 400 km2. Just heavy assumptions.

E2: The 5 km line marker on the lower right corresponds to 6 km on the Chernarus map, but even that looks a little weird and undershot.

Edited by Magirot

No there cannot, not sure how you figured that one out as there is a limit:

http://i.imgur.com/NXjBD6a.jpg

It's a high amount, but it's definitely not infinite.

You can have an unlimited amount of units per group though, so technically he is right.

(Well, there probably is some kind of limit to the max amount of units per group, but AFAIK no one has ever reached it)

You can have an unlimited amount of units per group though, so technically he is right.

(Well, there probably is some kind of limit to the max amount of units per group, but AFAIK no one has ever reached it)

Challenge accepted!

In another thread from a few days ago I posted a comparison of all the big ofp, cwa, arma maps I could find. I could not use ingame screenshots of every overview map since I only have the current alpha installed so I had to use what I could find online. I tried to use official looking images and was kinda lucky to find most of them even with scale bars. How accurate those scales are, I cannot say.

Also I'm not entirely sure, if the grids that are used have a common scale. Is one sqaure always 1km² in every game? Some maps suggest so others don't. So I used an official looking mock travel map of Chernarus that has a grid. The image is cropped at the top a little bit I guess, but 5 squares line up to the 5km scale bars of the other images. And that's what I did, I resized the different images so that they use one identical 5km scale bar.

The Post/Thread:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?147121-Putting-Stratis-into-perspective-on-size&p=2342702&viewfull=1#post2342702

The Image:

http://s7.directupload.net/images/130317/b333uo3s.jpg

And the Takistan map is only a very rough guess based on some pictures showing the borders and cities of Chernarus and Takistan next to each other.

I just tired placing an uncountable amount and when I hit preview it just doesn't do anything. No errors, but it just doesn't attempt to start.

On the subject of unit limits, I've seen some clever things done in A2 that I imagine would be easy to implement into a3. MSO/Insurgency missions had dynamically spawning units, and A3 already has modules in place (Sort of) that kind of do this. Point being: We shouldn't have to worry about maximum unit count unless it's taken down to a ridiculously low level.

Huh. I just checked the land area of a very similar island (its name rhymes with "Shlemnos"). According to Wikipedia and WolframAlpha, the land area of that island is 476 square km.