Sign in to follow this  
Valion310

Mission AI Names & Conversation questions:

Good morning =)

I have a couple questions on customizing missions. I have really been searching for answers on this, and I've found stuff that is Arma II related, but I am not experienced enough to know if I can cross Arma II mission scripting & editing into the Arma III Alpha. I've been going through a lot of mission editor tutorials, and I'm getting some good missions built. But this is related to interaction with special AI units.

So here goes ..

1. Mission Giving AI: So we are working on some indepth story and campaign progression, and we want to be able to pick up missions, and turn them in from AI similar to RPG style questing for example.

- How would I name an NPC so his name (LT Mack for example) shows up instead of (Squad Leader for example)?

- What is the best method of creating a two or three step conversation with the Unit I want to talk too?

- In terms of installing this customization on a rented 30 slot server, where should I look at inserting the script / files so it works smoothly on our server?

- Or would all this be packed in the .pbo that is loaded into the server as apart of the mission(s)?

2. Mission Rewads: So we want to introduce some experience, and perhaps money when turning in a mission.

- Can anyone point me to where that has already been scripted or perhaps a tutorial that is Arma III Alpha specific or compatable?

3. Arma II OA mods/scripts converting to Arma III: With all the work done in Arma II mods, should I assume that should not be transfered to work in Arma III Alpha?

Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I do understand this is only Alpha, we're just working to get some core systems in place we'd like to use for what we are doing.

I can help with only a handful here but hopefully it will set you on the right path.

1. Naming - You can check out the following command which will allow you to set an id for the unit. Use it on the initialisation of the unit in question. setGroupId.

1. Dialogue - I believe there is a thread here somewhere that discuss creating dialogue and interactive conversations. I also believe the ArmA2 reference's for such a system should still work in ArmA 3.

2. Try checking out this thread here, and here and finally here.

3. Surprisingly enough a lot of ArmA2 mods are currently being ported to 3 and a lot of the materials (Scripts, assets and so forth), work with minimal tweaking.