Sign in to follow this  
Peedge

HELP! Voice chat coming through speakers instead of headset.

I use a basic Logitech USB headset for voice.

The mic works just fine but the return chatter comes through my speakers with the game sound. I would like the voice, and the voice alone to come through the headset.

I looked in the audio options but here was nothing of the sort.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

I use a basic Logitech USB headset for voice.

The mic works just fine but the return chatter comes through my speakers with the game sound. I would like the voice, and the voice alone to come through the headset.

I looked in the audio options but here was nothing of the sort.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sorry to say, but that's a no-go. The sound is handled per application, so there is no way of splitting voice-com from the game sounds. The only config this could work is when you use a 2nd soundchip for use with teamspeak. Then you can do the com via TS + headset and the game sound can go via your speaker system. But with the ingame voice chat thats absolutely not possible afaik.

It could be possible as many onboard soundchips basically present as two devices for separate streams for the back and front ports and some people have onboard as well as a separate soundcard, so ArmA could easily have a setting to choose a particular device for comms and another device for the rest of the sounds.

This would be something you have to set up in windowz as that controls the sound card outputs.

Not at all, I've seen games where you can select a soundcard for comms and another soundcard for game sounds in the game settings.

Not at all, I've seen games where you can select a soundcard for comms and another soundcard for game sounds in the game settings.

Well, not in ARMA

It would have to be done in windows.

Go to your task bar and click on the arrow > Right Click on the white speaker > Click PlayBack devices > Enable Speakers (sometimes says headset.) > Disable the rest.

Well, not in ARMA

Currently it's impossible to direct Arma's comms to one device and the other sounds to another device, even using Windows. TS3 can be set to use a separate device but that's not Arma in-game comms.

I'm just saying BIS could make it so that it's possible to do this in Arma and I imagine it would be fairly easy.

Well, not in ARMA

It cant be done in windows, as ArmA redirects all sounds, including communications to the 'default device'*. It would have to direct the communications to the 'standard communications device'*, which I, and apparently a lot of other people, use to have communications and 'normal' sounds separated.

Personally I use my X-Fi for sounds, and my onboard soundcard for communications. That way I can have loud 5.1 immersion goodness, while all the talking(from TS) is handled by my headset. Unfortunately the ingame communications all come from my speakers.

*Translated from a Dutch version of windows, not 100% sure about the actual English names.

Edited by NeMeSiS

It cant be done in windows, as ArmA redirects all sounds, including communications to the 'default device'*. It would have to direct the communications to the 'standard communications device'*, which I, and apparently a lot of other people, use to have communications and 'normal' sounds separated.

Personally I use my X-Fi for sounds, and my onboard soundcard for communications. That way I can have loud 5.1 immersion goodness, while all the talking(from TS) is handled by my headset. Unfortunately the ingame communications all come from my speakers.

*Translated from a Dutch version of windows, not 100% sure about the actual English names.

I'm pretty sure Arma could bypass Windows and rather than send the comms audio to the Communications device, just allow the user to select the soundcard for comms and send the audio to it directly but yeah, that would possibly be an option.

I'm pretty sure Arma could bypass Windows and rather than send the comms audio to the Communications device, just allow the user to select the soundcard for comms and send the audio to it directly but yeah, that would possibly be an option.

It could, but it doesn't. :p

EDIT: Gonna look/make a ticket on the feedback tracker, hold on.

---------- Post added at 18:38 ---------- Previous post was at 18:28 ----------

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5623

Vote if you think this is important, you can login with your forum user/pass.

I don't know what it is with the tracker but I don't even see a login box, either in Iron or IE9, so I can't vote on anything :(

Its the bar completely at the top of the page, with barely readable font.

Its the bar completely at the top of the page, with barely readable font.

Ah thanks, I completely couldn't see that before ;)

That is good news. However, they'll probably need to either run 2 instances of their sound engine unless they overhaul it to support 2 devices or add a separate lightweight sound engine for this to work. While it would be a nice feature, I would rather they fixed more pressing issues.