Sign in to follow this  
Overvolt

Best waves and best ocean in game.

Seeing some videos on the internet I came across this new nvidia technology about waves and oceans seems simply incredible. As the BIS has been using tools like nvidia physx would be possible to use technologies like this in the video below ARMA 3 too?

It would be fantastic for sure

was done already easily without nvidia.

was done already easily without nvidia.

That does not even look remotely the same as the technology from Nvidia.

I also like how you said "easily" you a part of their development team? Just curious.

Seeing some videos on the internet I came across this new nvidia technology about waves and oceans seems simply incredible. As the BIS has been using tools like nvidia physx would be possible to use technologies like this in the video below ARMA 3 too?

Since its techdemo for GFX Titan, im afraid not.

However i maybe like the fluid smoke even more than the ocean itself...

Yes, that does look very good ... BUT

1) Tech demos are not games. How many games have the same effects as demos?

2) It may not work when viewed from under water. Perhaps not even possible to have a different environment below.

3) No interaction with a shoreline. Hmmm, I wonder why...

4) Uses an £800 graphics card... yeah

Edited by EDcase

As long as PhysX is a nVIDIA only thing, then complex stuff like that will always remain at a demo level and nothing more.

Best game water I have ever seen, very impressive. And I love RoF, but it hasn't got a patch on that :D

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=hydrophobia+gameplay

This is the best water simulation I've ever saw or know of, that is done real time in a game. It would be nice if this technology could be applied at a large scale game, but I doubt it. Probably for an ocean simulation or any other large body of water, there's going to be needed a GPU and right now, we are not just there yet, tech. wise.

Sure it doesn't really compare to that tech demo video, but I think the ocean in Arma 3 look really nice. Definitely good enough for this game.

Here's a good view of the water. It makes this clip look awesome:

only on the ocean ok - but we have landmass to and ai and cars and and and ......

guys this runs not in the armaworl ;) ... in this quality never ;)

A bit off topic, the best water collor and effects I've seen (but I guess no big waves and underwater capabilities) was the one in War Thunder. Check this on HD, the colors/effects are amazing and very natural:

http://youtu.be/JdNQFIQJuog?t=5m50s

I think the water in ARMA III is fine. It looks way better then previous ARMA games, you can choose the wave height and it looks good from underneath. I'd rather they leave it as it is and concentrate on more important things like the way you interact with it. For instance swimming round a shore line close to shore can be annoying as one moment you are swimming, then you stop for a few seconds and stand up to wade, and automatically get your gun out ready. Then a few steps later you stop for a few seconds as you shoulder the gun and get back in the swim animation. There seems to be a horribl 'clunkyness' to the transition from wading to swimming. Also a fully kitted solider with an automatic rifle/10 magazines and a pistol etc should not really be able to swim, you should have a floundering sinking animation before he drops everything unessential and is able to be light enough to swim. I remember in ARMA II you always would loose weapons in water.

I think the water in ARMA III is fine. It looks way better then previous ARMA games, you can choose the wave height and it looks good from underneath. I'd rather they leave it as it is and concentrate on more important things like the way you interact with it. For instance swimming round a shore line close to shore can be annoying as one moment you are swimming, then you stop for a few seconds and stand up to wade, and automatically get your gun out ready. Then a few steps later you stop for a few seconds as you shoulder the gun and get back in the swim animation. There seems to be a horribl 'clunkyness' to the transition from wading to swimming. Also a fully kitted solider with an automatic rifle/10 magazines and a pistol etc should not really be able to swim, you should have a floundering sinking animation before he drops everything unessential and is able to be light enough to swim. I remember in ARMA II you always would loose weapons in water.

i dont disagree, the only thing that really bothers me is the performance hit form the ocean. as its been discussed it seems to require too much cpu. perhaps they should recode it into opencl and make use of the gpu for it. (opencl so its compatible to both gpus)

Now we have nice water, can we have some nice large ships to sail around on and in for this water :D

What [EVO] Dan said! The "hidden list" found in the Alpha mentions the Astute-class submarine, but while it's been suggested that it'll basically serve as the 'home base' of SDVs (think "USS Khe Sanh in vanilla Arma 2" as far as role) I'm more primarily interested in what can be done so far as surface warfare.

i dont disagree, the only thing that really bothers me is the performance hit form the ocean. as its been discussed it seems to require too much cpu. perhaps they should recode it into opencl and make use of the gpu for it. (opencl so its compatible to both gpus)

Hi, Thanks for your reply. I think it may be because the game engine is rendering both the surface of the water AND the sea bed (and fish etc) and then all the lighting. It happened in another game (can't remember which one but may have been Skyrim or Crysis 2/3). I'm not 100% sure though. If it is the case then if you are standing on land looking at the sea then there is a hell of a lot being rendered. I know nothing about programming but a way to fix it could be to add 'invisible' translucent mountains every 200 meters that have no physics or mass or anything at all. But are programmed to stop anything past them underwater being rendered. Or something, I dont really know.