Sign in to follow this  
bobby budnick

Vehicle (roadcone) not named correctly when created with forEach - a short example

HQ_ARRAY = [COMPANY_1_HQ];
{

_x = "RoadCone" createVehicle (getPos player);

} forEach HQ_ARRAY;

It should be named COMPANY_1_HQ but I know it is not named correctly because I can not setPos myself to it. This one has to be simple because it is so short but I cannot figure it out. What could be happening here?

try call compile format["%1 = 'RoadCone' createVehicle (getPos player)",_x];

instead of _x = "RoadCone" createVehicle (getPos player);

Edit: Make the variable a string too.

so HQ_ARRAY = ["COMPANY_1_HQ"];

Putting a variable in a array like that just grabs the value of it and stuffs it into the array.

Pretty logical infact.

Anyway previous example should work.

Edited by headswe

I would have died from old age or boredom before I figured out that one. So you use "call compile" when you have some code in a format statement that you need to actually run. Yeah making the company name a string should have been obvious. A third mistake I was making that you helped with was I was using format and createVehicle like this:

format["%1", _x] = "RoadCone" createVehicle (getPos player);

which gave errors instead of your way with format wrapped around the entire statement. I still don't know why that gives errors though. I think it should work!

So thanks a lot. You helped with three different things. I'm on a marathon right now and this will keep me from being bogged down.

Edited by Bobby Budnick

I would have died from old age or boredom before I figured out that one. So you use "call compile" when you have some code in a format statement that you need to actually run. Yeah making the company name a string should have been obvious. A third mistake I was making that you helped with was I was using format and createVehicle like this:

format["%1", _x] = "RoadCone" createVehicle (getPos player);

which gave errors instead of your way with format wrapped around the entire statement. I still don't know why that gives errors though. I think it should work!

So thanks a lot. You helped with three different things. I'm on a marathon right now and this will keep me from being bogged down.

The reason why that wouldent work is the fact it would be

"STRINGHERE" = "RoadCone" createVehicle (getpos player) .

format returns a string

compile takes a string and turns it into a {} (code boject)

call well.. executes a code object.

No problem by the way.