Sign in to follow this  
Serged

Will Arma 3 replace Arma 2?

I want to love A3 as I loved A2 but I can't. its futuristic feel is horrible choice.

Totally agree. Its something about Arma 3 that just doesn't feel right, I wouldn't say it doesn't feel realistic, but I definitely did not like their choice of terrain. Those islands feel like a holiday destination, not a battlefield. Chernarus represented the cold war stuff, and it made sense to use that. And Takistan represented the recent conflicts in Afghanistan and Iraq. Im just waiting for the modding community to make some decent islands, then some units, then I might join in. I think another thing is, that Arma 2, even the vanilla game has so much stuff in it already. Arma 3 doesn't have as much at all, mainly because of the attachment system which means you only need one kind of rifle and you can change it as you wish, but it doesn't feel like its right. Especially considering most of those rifles are made up, and that pretty much totally kills it. If/When they bring out a ACE mod for that, then hopefully they will add normal weapons like M16's or AK's otherwise the realism aspect of Arma is pretty dead. Arma 3 is pretty fun for just messing around or PvP though, and the ability to change stances, and the attention to detail with everything else, such as the lighting, and the smoke effected correctly by the wind. This stuff makes it awesome, but it lacks the basic stuff of Arma 2.

A3 = Great Engine, but the setting kills it.

My 2 cents:

Have Arma 2 and 3 and have recently been playing Arma 3 Exclusively for a about 3 months. Out of curiosity I checked the Arma 2 servers to witness the slow demise of Arma 2 multiplayer base as they migrate to Arma 3. To my surprise there seems to be actually more mulitplayers playing Arma 2 than 3!! ???

Takistan life Revolution 99/100 players. I jump on , good times to be had by all :)

Arma 2 feels really clunky and glitchy compared to Arma 3, the movement feels like trying move around underwater.

Arma 3 the graphics, the movement the overall feel is much much nicer, but as others have stated, it's the content, it just doesn't feel as good. I respect how much effort they put into making altis, it is amazing in scope and execution, but after an hour or two I just don't feel like playing that map sorry, it does not feel like combat. And I feel bad saying that because it's obvious how much time went into it.

I want to love A3 as I loved A2 but I can't. its futuristic feel is horrible choice.

I fully agree. ARMA just doesn't feel like ARMA anymore when playing Arma3. I can't remove myself from Arma2.. it just seems and feels like a much more polished game. Arma3 feels clunky and almost annoying to play. Not to mention the framerate reduction I take playing A3.

I play both and I ****ing love Arma 3. I really don't get why people are so bothered by A3.

Yes, it's set in the near future, yes it's not really finished, yes it's got little content compared to A2. But overall it's a great game to play. The movement feels much more natural, the looks are amazing, the lighting is one of the best I've seen in a game so far, the weapons give a feel of recoil and gravity, the world has a great pacement, the inventory system is far superior and I'm pretty sure I could go on for quite a while.

It's not that I don't like playing Arma 2. I love A2 just as much as I love A3. But if someone would force me to choose between either of those two, I'd prefer Arma 3. A3 is facing a great future, if we stop whining about 'the oldern days'.

Yes once there is more content in Arma 3 it will truly be an epic game. It's great now , it just lacks some PVP mulitplayer matches and content (in comparison to arma2)

I'm coming from this the other way. I had no experience with the ArmA franchise before A3. It only came to my attention after a friend passed along some links to videos by Dslyecxi and Jester812, and I decided that I wanted some of that! When searching to purchase it I found out that A3 had just been released via Steam as an alpha product so took the risk and payed over the cash to catch that ride. Almost 2k hours in, and It has become my go-to game.

Thought there might be something in the previous versions, so plumped for one of the 'Everything ArmA' Steam deals and got the lot. Added ACE + ACRE as soon as I saw them, and well, It's ACE + ACRE! Plus there is content for just about everything I've every seen or imagined. It still looks clunky in comparison to A3, especially the animations, but that doesn't fact too much in my 1PP world.

Recently been playing with the @A3MP and All-in-ArmA mods. These are a fair approximation to a perfect symbiosis. Still no ACE and I don't see anything as complete as that on the horizon, but ACRE works (after a fashion) and there are now some other credible alternates.

I don't think an outright usurption of A2 by A3 can or will ever occur. They both are what they are. I'll still prefer A3 over A2 simply because that is the way I came across them. But even though it is an older product, A2 is still credible in it's own right.

I was looking forward to Arma 3 (underwater operations, yay!) but was really dissapointed - swagged walk of soldiers, ability to run and shoot, animations are too fast and high paced and futuristic setting. It lost the canonic feeling. The feeling in Arma 2 when you see abrams or t-90, apache or mi-24 hind with its round cockpit. Those are the things you see in movies, those are things you see in news. And to drive them across the fictional post USSR country (i live in real post-USSR country) was the experience like no other. Addition of Takistan just hit bullseye as players could take part in the conflict that represented real world conflicts of time (i guess USA players especially appreciated OA).

Sadly in Arma 3 have nothing of this, even underwater diving are dissapointing (i want that damn iconic cylindrical scuba tank, not your reabreather).

I was afraid that multiplayer base of arma 2 will be gone with release of arma 3 but was happy to be proven otherwise.

About movement - i love arma 2 movement alot more than arcade one of arma 3. Soldiers in arma 2 was moving like real ones carrying great deal of weight - ammo, weapons, gasmasks, supplies, coat-tents (i guess there no real way of translating плащ-палатка to english). That is why in arma 2 character is so inert (or at least i guess so). In arma 3 you can carry launcher with bunch of ammo as well as hell lot of gear and still instantly change directions, stop and start running as well as shoot during the run. Soldiers move like SWAT team during 15 min mission of hostage rescue, not like soldiers on war who walked 3 days thru forests to their destination. Also i do not understand why you can lay on right side while cant do so on left... in arma 2 SMK animations mod you can do both.

Animations are fast - for some it is nice change, but i prefer when it was faster to scream distance to target to my buddy thru voice chat than to take away rangefinder and grab launcher yourself - that encourages teamwork and real life teams of sniper+spotter.

Well i guess Arma 3 is definately good game, but it is completely different from Arma 2 and for me in no way can replace it.

Edited by DarkPhoenixx

i love arma 2 movement alot more than arcade one of arma 3. Soldiers in arma 2 was moving like real ones carrying great deal of weight

This is why I won't buy A3. (Well that and the fact that BIS got rid of mouse acceleration.) Just watching gameplay videos has convinced me it's stupidly unrealistic and immersion-breaking. Everyone raves about how "fluid" close combat is in A3, but it just looks like dumbed-down, generic FPS movement. Even groups like Shacktactical can't make it look good.

This is why I won't buy A3. (Well that and the fact that BIS got rid of mouse acceleration.) Just watching gameplay videos has convinced me it's stupidly unrealistic and immersion-breaking. Everyone raves about how "fluid" close combat is in A3, but it just looks like dumbed-down, generic FPS movement. Even groups like Shacktactical can't make it look good.

Reading some of these posts and comments regarding animations in ArmA 3, as an Infantry soldier myself, the way the player moves in ArmA 3 is much more representative of what you move like in reality. ArmA 2 was far to rigid for me. I like the ability to quickly move, shoot whilst moving, varying different stances; it's what I do in reality, and it's nice to see it represented ingame.

I think its too soon for arma 3 to replace arma 2. not until at least more mods are available for A3

For us, ARMA3 has replaced ARMA2 because it's brought many new cool people into our community while there were no recruits to be had in ARMA2. That said, I don't think that says anything about the quality of the game -- just how many "lone wolf" (not in a community) players there are out there for each game. However, I think the improvements (graphics, extra stances, combat pace, little fixes that make life nicer) really make ARMA3 flow much better than ARMA2 at this point (especially now that I can get decent FPS even in MP) although it has a LONG way to go before I could call it "superior". We still need ACE although I guess we can learn to live without it :)

For us, ARMA3 has replaced ARMA2 because it's brought many new cool people into our community while there were no recruits to be had in ARMA2. That said, I don't think that says anything about the quality of the game -- just how many "lone wolf" (not in a community) players there are out there for each game. However, I think the improvements (graphics, extra stances, combat pace, little fixes that make life nicer) really make ARMA3 flow much better than ARMA2 at this point (especially now that I can get decent FPS even in MP) although it has a LONG way to go before I could call it "superior". We still need ACE although I guess we can learn to live without it :)

That is just for YOU guys.

Of course, if I had a good PC arma III would be my life....

But, definently ARMA III lacks a lot.

It's too futuristic.

Not much modern stuff.

ARMA 2 is the perfect setting, will always be, unless BI does release a 'modern' patch.... so modern armies are in.

After going to my cousins house and played ARMA III on his kick butt PC....

I realized just how good the ARMA series is. But, since DAYZ really brought in too many kids and immature players. So, I realized playing that in ARMA III online.

Arma 3 will hopefully replace Arma 2 for me in time. Much like I never play OFP any more; Arma 2 has replaced it for me.

I regret not picking Arma 3 up for ~£20 when it was on sale. £36 is still a little bit too pricey for me.

I know it'll be well worth £36 long-term, it's more a case of my own finances at the moment.

(also, first post here, hello!)

Edited by 10bag

First time poster here as well.

Our unit still plays ArmA2 as well, partly because it's not all too different from ArmA3, but mostly because of all the modded content that is still in ArmA2. I guess that once more and more mods are ported to the third instalment, it will slowly take over the role of ArmA2. I mean, hardly anyone plays the original ArmA these days, right?

Last weekend i tried to play Arma3 After some time to see if it got better.

Nope. Still sucks.

Last weekend i tried to play Arma3 After some time to see if it got better.

Nope. Still sucks.

This ¬¬