terox

Zeus gaming Nights

Could you also create a yml file for quick joining with Play withSIX? Similar to what we have here pws://www.arma-il.info/files/arma-il.yml (replace pws:// with http:// to view the file contents). I think that would make it much easier for new players to install your mods and keep them up to date, as well as remain synchronized with any mods you add/remove to/from the yml (as long as you keep it in sync with @zclient).

Could you also create a yml file for quick joining with Play withSIX? Similar to what we have here pws://www.arma-il.info/files/arma-il.yml (replace pws:// with http:// to view the file contents). I think that would make it much easier for new players to install your mods and keep them up to date, as well as remain synchronized with any mods you add/remove to/from the yml (as long as you keep it in sync with @zclient).

why they don't need it.

you gonna come back and play ? i'm getting some pvp in the go i could use your help

Possibly. So far we've played mostly on ArmA3.RU and on our own server, pretty much purely PvP as most have tired from coop or never liked it in the first place. Some guys keep asking for coop missions, so having somewhere to send them even if I won't have the time/energy for coop games will be good :)

In any case, most of the guys know how to use Play withSIX or can learn to by reading a quick guide, so if those addons are recommended it would be nice if they can be downloaded and synchronized easily using Play withSIX. The advantage here is that instead of downloading manually every time something changes or asking "do I need to update anything?!?" every time they want to play, Play withSIX does it all for them. If an update is needed, your "join" button will be replaced with an "update" button automatically, so all they need is to click your yml link and they're in your server with the most up-to-date mods.

Hi

Just played with you guys on a wednesday evening and it was brilliant. Never had so much fun in Arma before, you'll definitely see more of me.

Regards

Daniel

Watched the youtube video's and I am definately coming over when I can! This gameplay looks amazing, much more fun than what I'm doing now.. (Lone wolfing in user-made missions, because I just can't deal with my AI squat being stupid...).

I've ran in the same issue as with every other addon-pack I've downloaded so far:

I downloaded @ZClient. There's 2 files in there, @ZClient and userconfig. I copied @ZClient to my Arma 3 folder. What do I do with the userconfig??

Next question being: How come the installation guide in every addon pack always tells me where to copy the @File to, but never the other files? I've had multiple packs which had this, which made me think of 2 things:

-They are included, but useless (?).

-It's so obvious where to copy them to, but I am just blind.

I'd really like to know this as I've been questioning this myself a couple of times.

Is it a problem I am kind of a noob in Arma 3 ? I've played it about 30-32 hours so far, it's my first Arma game. I've learned a lot, but still have a lot to learn aswell. I'm good at listening to leaders, I have a mic but I will probably prefer to just be listening to someone instead of giving orders / talking as I am still trying to get it right. Is that a problem?

See you in-game soon hopefully, I really can't wait to experience your server.

I copied @ZClient to my Arma 3 folder. What do I do with the userconfig??

Same as you did with the @ZClient folder. Copy it to your game folder. Just don't add it to the mod launch line, it will be automatically read by the mods that need it.

Next question being: How come the installation guide in every addon pack always tells me where to copy the @File to, but never the other files? I've had multiple packs which had this, which made me think of 2 things:

-They are included, but useless (?).

-It's so obvious where to copy them to, but I am just blind.

Depends on the files. Usually mods that are already organized with a @ folder have all you need in there (with the possibility of also needing the userconfig folder for some mods). Other extra files are usually just "extra" (missions, readme, etc), and you'd have to show me what they are for me to tell you why they were included.

Well, I have been playing BI military simulations since picking up OFP in 2002, but I always shied away from the multiplayer scene because public servers seemed to offer little more than chaos.

Then, by pure chance, I stumbled upon the Zeus community server. In the ~2 weeks that I have been frequenting the Zeus server I have discovered a whole new side to ArmA that is even more wonderful that that which I knew already. The Zeus guys have a truly great server/community going on, and I heartily recommend it to anyone who wants to play this game the way it was intended. I, for one, am grateful for the work the admins put into keeping everything running along smoothly. Thanks folks!

Am glad to hear we are doing things correctly.

Big thanks to Sparky, Stealthy GetCarter and the other admins who have worked really hard to tighten the discipline up in a public gaming environment and also thanks to all the new players who follow their directions.

Hearing feedback like this really makes you feel the effort is worth it.

Hi,

I've just ordered the Arma III CD/DVD and look forward to joining some Zeus gaming nights.

Best regards,

Nikos

I stumbled upon a zeus game per accident last week and although it didn't come too much gaming since the mission we tested/played had a performance hickup I enjoyed every aspect of it. Especially the unit roster, people giving orders etc.

It reminded me of goold old times in ArmA1 with TG:

Will try to be around and thanks for a public opportunity to enjoy non-retarded MP gameplay (people running you over at the ammo boxes, blowing up transport choppers...) .

One thing I was wondering about though was the use of side chat for communication from squad to command and vice versa. Most of the time I communicated with my squad via chat on the group channel, because there was rarely a time where nobody spoke on sidechat. Tbh. , I got a little headache and felt I was getting too much information for my role as a grunt.

Shouldn't be the command channel be the better channel? As I understand it's only heard by every group leader.

Edited by Icewindo

Command channel has its advantages, but in the end speaking on command channel means that if you give orders the squad leader then has to repeat them to his squad, and also his squad members don't know he has someone talking to him on command channel and thus don't know that they need to be quiet. Requesting silence every time you want to talk to another commander AND having to repeat to your squad everything said to you on side channel is just too much in any situation that matters.

Do you guys do any PvP at all nowadays? To be honest I got really tired of coop, but put a lot of effort into making 2 PvP missions that can work well even in a public environment, and hope maybe we can play them together sometime. PvP is just so much more fun for me when you have players that are taking it seriously :)

One thing I was wondering about though was the use of side chat for communication from squad to command and vice versa. Most of the time I communicated with my squad via chat on the group channel, because there was rarely a time where nobody spoke on sidechat. Tbh. , I got a little headache and felt I was getting too much information for my role as a grunt.

Shouldn't be the command channel be the better channel? As I understand it's only heard by every group leader.

Yeah i agree that it is really annoying hearing all the command stuff as a regular soldier. The problem with command channel is that it is to rigid, in that only squad leaders can be on it and quite often other people need to be on it too. That's why side is used.

The best and smoothest in-game solution is ACRE in my opinion although a hassle to set up it is wonderful when it works.

ref the sidechat spamming.

The aim was to make things as simple as possible.

If the command net was used, players who were not group leaders could not receive or transmit on it. So in a situation where the group leader was AFK or an important role wasn't that of a group leader then comms would fail.

Sidechat was the workaround for this.

Rather than have the commander transmit on 2 Command net channels, it was decided to simplify and just use the 1 universal Sidechat system.

This has pro's and cons.

Pro....

group leader shouldn't need to repeat the info to his subordinates

Less keys to map for the commander and players (Side and group chat only)

Cons....

Comms spam

It is possible to create customised channels (via scripts) which players can opt in or out of at will via a small GUI. This is the ideal solution

Tier1 uses such a system

This could be added to the I&A mission which is commonly played.

This will solve the spam issue, creating a single command net channel that anyone can use if they wish or need

Terox you can add to the pros that in the sidechat solution subordinates realize that their leader is talking or receiving transmission and clear their team channel until the correspondence in side channel is finished.

I'm not sure the scripted solution you described can maintain this advantage.

I guess it's just wise to keep the use of the side chat to the necessary minimum.

Terox you can add to the pros that in the sidechat solution subordinates realize that their leader is talking or receiving transmission and clear their team channel until the correspondence in side channel is finished.

I'm not sure the scripted solution you described can maintain this advantage.

I guess it's just wise to keep the use of the side chat to the necessary minimum.

That is an advantage of side, however using a channel that the other players can't hear when using the comms procedures correctly can easily be worked around.....

Example

Command chat Alpha this is command Message.........

Alpha group leaders heres the comms message and then asks his chaps to be quiet for a moment

Group Chat "Hold on guys while I take a call from Command"

then he speaks to command

Command Net "Command this is Alpha SEND"

(Conversation between Alpha group leader and then command ensues.

when it is finished, Alpha group lead gets on group channel and then tells his squad whatever command has just relayed and also tells them it is clear to spam group chat

So disciplined comms will work in the customised Command net channel if done this way

Been playing on this server for over 9 years now. Good times. Good friends.

Have played and enjoyed this server.

Quick question, have you guys ever thought of a PvP night? I miss a good PvP session :(

PvP would be good, but I'm not sure how many community members actually like PvP... Unless things changed, in which case that would be great. I enjoyed a lot of games with the Zeus community, but am just tired of playing against AI.

We play A&D which is PVP but on a much slower pace and way more tactical that death matches, ctf etc

We are being incredibly slow at knocking out new missions at the moment, but hopefully in the near future this will change

There has also been a discussion about running a pvp night for the likes of ctf, c&h etc

We play A&D which is PVP but on a much slower pace and way more tactical that death matches, ctf etc

We are being incredibly slow at knocking out new missions at the moment, but hopefully in the near future this will change

There has also been a discussion about running a pvp night for the likes of ctf, c&h etc

Myself and im sure other members of FUSION would be interested in a PvP night. Also it would be like a flashback to EFL/ECL days :)

It doesn't have to be a choice of either 1-hour long no-respawn missions with multiple objectives and 15 minutes of planning before the mission or a spawn-die-respawn style TDM/CTF. In DTAS you have no respawns with rounds long enough to be tactical about it, but short enough to not get the defenders to die of boredom, and of course no need to restart the mission between rounds and replayability due to high randomness of the mission objective location. In escalation you might have respawns, but score granted for life/vehicle losses are balanced with score for the objective, so just suicide-running in trying to capture the objective like you would in most C&H missions is not going to work, as if you lose too many men and vehicles you will lose the mission even if you hold the objective for the entire mission. In both missions the time between spawning and dying averages in the 5-minute ballpark, which IMO is a very good balance between the sub-60s duration you get in most TDM/CTF and the >20min you get in some A&Ds.

In the Israeli community we have quite a few players interested in PvP, but it's just not enough to get a good game going (5v5 just gets old too fast), which ends up with them stopping to show up. I'm sure if a weekly event with enough players, good missions and good server settings takes place, we'll have quite a few show up.

In any case, if you're interested in any kind of PvP, feel free to add me on Steam so that we can invite each other while playing.

There is defintely a market for a good pvp server (Not the mindless non teamworking type of ctf's c&h's that is typically found).

I need some good missions first though, enough for say two sessions. Then we can organise the N0.2 server to run them say once or twice a week until there are sufficient regulars to be placed in as admins