Sign in to follow this  
cheesus182

Force Vehicle lights on?

Hey guys,

Im looking for a way to force vehicle lights to always stay on.

The vehicle is being controlled by an AI and as soon as an enemy enters the area it automatically switches off the lights.

Currently im using waypoints with behaviour set to "safe" a game logic with:

this action ["LightOn", Hunter2];

Im not sure if the above does anything at all but well its a try.

If anyone knows how to force the lights to stay on, I would really apreciate it!

Thanks!

setting safe and careless would also help - if they detect enemy they go aware/danger and combat and basically turn them off.

For AI units write in the initbox: if (isServer) then {0=[this]spawn{while{alive driver (_this select 0)}do{driver (_this select 0) action ["LightOn", (_this select 0)]}}};

For AI units write in the initbox: if (isServer) then {0=[this]spawn{while{alive driver (_this select 0)}do{driver (_this select 0) action ["LightOn", (_this select 0)]}}};

Yesss.

Worked great!

Thanks a bunch!

interesting approach

does it override his combat mode wanting to switch them off? does that make him repeatedly switch his lights on and off? like an internal struggle?

this turns the vehicle lights into fast flickering stroboscopes somehow!!!

---------- Post added at 22:39 ---------- Previous post was at 22:07 ----------

looks like this :/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sX0VP7G_IbU

---------- Post added at 22:54 ---------- Previous post was at 22:39 ----------

i guess the reason is the bots think its daylight, how can i convince them its not?

EDIT: it seems that the strobing only occurs when there are more than one AI with this init line, like the can be only one vehicle lit at once and the light jumps from car to car really fast. The fewer cars are left with lights on the higher the strobe frequency.

Edited by Fabio_Chavez

I always use this.

null=[] spawn { while {true} do {  player action ["lightOn", VEHICLE_NAME]; sleep 0.01};};

How is this a user mission ? WRONG section - try config and scripting perhaps ?

^ This.

To be fair, that section is easily overlooked by newcomers (like myself) because it's listed outside of the normal Arma3 forum section.

but it doesnt work at daytime?

I just tested it. It works just fine in daylight? :confused:

@bakerman, is that an init line? if i put this in the init box of an AI civilian offroad, it doesnt spawn with light on, neither at daytime nor at nighttime

null=[] spawn { while {true} do { player action ["lightOn", VEHICLE_NAME]; sleep 0.01};};

---------- Post added at 12:43 ---------- Previous post was at 12:02 ----------

@moederhoschi, your code doesnt seem to do what id like it, to do but what it deas instead is intressting nonetheless ;P

• Haha 2

You'll have to change "VEHICLE_NAME" to the name of the vehicle you wish to edit. You can put that line in the unit init or in a trigger, doesn't really matter.

All considerations above are outdated. There is no mean to have light on, on a AI driven vehicle with setPilotLight or SetCollisionLight or driver ...  action ["lightOn",...] if the vehicle has a different behavior than CARELESS or SAFE. That means, if SAFE, the vehicle will switch off the headlights automatically, entering in AWARE or COMBAT behavior due to the Arma engine. Any loop is useless here!

I have devised a simple way to Have a beautiful lighthouse on the helicopter.

No script and work in SP and MP.

This system can be used for any Vehicle!

I made a simple demo for download.

Tell me what you think!

Just have an identical empty vehicle with

this setPilotLight true; this attachTo [_actualVehicle, [0,0,0]];

["1", "onEachFrame", {player action ["lightOn",VEHICLE_NAME];}] call BIS_fnc_addStackedEventHandler;

If you delete the vehicle at some point, you must remove the event handler to avoid spamming the log

// "1" is whatever ID you give it above

["1", "onEachFrame"] call BIS_fnc_removeStackedEventHandler;

I use this on helicopters.

Since this thread was very helpful for me, I've taken the liberty to update the code provided by AZ to use mission event handlers instead.

Init of the helicopter involved (adjust vehicle_variable_name as you would):

1 = addMissionEventHandler ["EachFrame", {
	 player action ["lightOn", vehicle_variable_name];
}];

this addEventHandler ["Killed", {
	removeMissionEventHandler ["EachFrame", 1];
}];

This will result in affected AI-controlled helicopters keeping their spotlights on persistently. Most likely works with land vehicles' headlights as well, but I've tested it with Prairie Fire UH-1s.