batto

[Feedback&Suggestions] equipable binocular

Is equipable binocular good idea?  

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is equipable binocular good idea?

• Yes
    • No

Hello,

I think binocular should be equipable item by default and toggle optics action (right mouse key by default) should toggle "use binocular" when equipped.

The time to take equip binocular and to put it back again is too long for observing large area. Sometimes I need to have larger perspective to see moving things, check if they're interesting with binocular, put it back, use it again, ... But I don't need gun while I'm observing from larger perspective and time to equip binocular and then equip rifle again is too long (and shakes your view).

So I'd like B to toggle binocular / previous weapon in hand but not use it immediately. Just to have it in hands, ready to use it with left mouse press. Something like binocular in original Deus Ex (except click to toggle use instead of hold to use).

Adjustable zoom would be also cool but this is all I'd like to see for now. What do you think?

I know we have (ignored?) suggestions thread but I've seen few not locked suggestion threads here so I'm making one too.

Edited by batto

I had a bit of a brainstorm last night while playing, and got to thinking why have we not got head mountable binoculars yet? It would take the slot of night vision in day use of course, and for night use you would still have the option for hand-held binoculars (if people still use binocs at night). You could even combine the two, much like the rangefinder in OA.

The time to take equip binocular and to put it back again is too long for observing large area. Sometimes I need to have larger perspective to see moving things, check if they're interesting with binocular, put it back, use it again, ... But I don't need gun while I'm observing from larger perspective and time to equip binocular and then equip rifle again is too long (and shakes your view).

So I'd like B to toggle binocular / previous weapon in hand but not use it immediately. Just to have it in hands, ready to use it with left mouse press. Something like binocular in original Deus Ex (except click to toggle use instead of hold to use).

Adjustable zoom would be also cool but this is all I'd like to see for now. What do you think?

I know we have (ignored?) suggestions thread but I've seen few not locked suggestion threads here so I'm making one too.

I think the time it takes to equip the binoculars in the alpha is a lot faster then it was in A2/OA and it makes sense if they slow it down more, as you are essentially taking the binoculars out of your bag/pack and then using the.

No to being able to have binoculars used while gun is still operational, you may aswell just take a high powered scope.... as this is what that feature would be used for primarily.

Yes, just like BF2's PR.

Binos in A3 still get you stucked in many animations, its a pain.

Just like Pistol => AT => Prone combination.

;2348582']I think the time it takes to equip the binoculars in the alpha is a lot faster then it was in A2/OA and it makes sense if they slow it down more' date=' as you are essentially taking the binoculars out of your bag/pack and then using the.[/quote']

I agree. But when I take it I want to be able to hold it in hand and not necessarily look through it.

No to being able to have binoculars used while gun is still operational, you may aswell just take a high powered scope.... as this is what that feature would be used for primarily.

I don't quite understand. But scope on rifle is much more usable for spotting than binocular as you don't need to go through equip/unequip everytime you need to see things from larger perspective.

Yes, just like BF2's PR.

Exactly like this.

Pistol => AT => Prone combination.

This could be solved by not allowing you to select the launcher in prone but still leave it in menu greyed out (with "not in prone" comment in parenthesis). And not allowing you to go prone with equipped launcher.

Edited by batto

I agree. But when I take it I want to be able to hold it in hand and not necessarily look through it.

I understand, I think this was possible in A2/OA when walking, you used to get the walking animation with binoculars by your side, but of course when you stopped you brought them back to your face. ACE2 did exactly what you want, but still kept the binoculars at the face, right clicking would allow you to look through the viewfinder.

I don't quite understand. But scope on rifle is much more usable for spotting than binocular as you don't need to go through equip/unequip everytime you need to see things from larger perspective.

The way I read your OP was that you would like the ability to look through binoculars while retaining the ability to shoot, essentially you could have a weapon that uses Iron Sights and still make long range kills using the binoculars as you aiming point, ala ofp.

The link that Smurf shown is exactly what I thought you meant, and it seems you also meant this. I can't agree with having such a feature.

If of course I have read your OP the wrong way then disregard the above ;)

I think that things got a little overcomplicated.

He just want the ability to walk with binos in hands without beign forced to look throught it every time. Just like a normal person would do.

Right now for changing stances you have to take away the binos, take the weapon, change stance, take the binos back on. You can't go to 3rd person view and when using setacctime+camera.sqs to see what is going on when you walk while looking throught the binos, your char don't have a head and all your gear is gone (just checked while writing this). Bad or incomplete implementation or bug?

Anyway, it was always bad since OFP.

Not even just when walking, we should be able to lower the binos to look around without them to get a wider view and then raise them again, without having to switch to/from rifle all the time.

Is there a ticket for this one?

I did earlier one about another annoying binocular "feature" and scratched this issue as well but I could imagine that a separate ticket would help a lot.

Binoculars Animation - unnecessary switch to the main weapon while changing stance

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1899

Honestly who the hell is against this suggestion? Current system is a pain in the ass.

The way Ace have it where you can lower the binos slightly to look over them and get situational awareness i perfect. Add the function to be able to walk around without doing the gun swap dance and it will be golden.

[Feedback&Suggestions] equipable binocular

replying to this thread, but not getting the normal reply window? It's almost like I'm starting a new thread? Also its asking for verification letters. Anyway... Why not have an option to quickly drop an item? Any item, including binoculars. The upside being that you can drop an item and quickly equip your main weapon. The down side, if you want them back it takes a couple of seconds to pick them up and then a couple of seconds to put back in pack, and if you move then you have to go back and find them....

I dont like it because it's a pain. I've played with mod doing this in A2 and I find it's more trouble than it's worth. At least for me. The reason being is that when I want to bino something, I simply press B and the binocular automatically put in front of my eyes. I check things and press B again to hold my rifle again. Simple.

If I need to press the zoom/optics key after I press B, it's just another key press. Troublesome. That's why I dont like it. I prefer the current system and I hope BIS stick with it.

Thank you

Not the fire key, but the optics key, as in ACE, which makes a lot more sense than the fire key.

Arma 2 binocular use in multiplayer is useless, it is best to use a laser designator with zoom and FLIR, why bino are not in the same category as laser?and we assume that in 2035, right now the new binoculars are thermal and zoom.

btw tank commander(out) should be able to use bino too.(if bino is related to weapon slot then should think of the request "shooting from vehicles")

Edited by PFC Magician

weapon slot? that makes no sense. it already has its own slot. it's not related to the weapon at all.

Not the fire key, but the optics key, as in ACE, which makes a lot more sense than the fire key.

Right.

I dont like it because it's a pain. I've played with mod doing this in A2 and I find it's more trouble than it's worth. At least for me. The reason being is that when I want to bino something, I simply press B and the binocular automatically put in front of my eyes. I check things and press B again to hold my rifle again. Simple.

If I need to press the zoom/optics key after I press B, it's just another key press. Troublesome. That's why I dont like it. I prefer the current system and I hope BIS stick with it.

Then B should put binoc in front of eyes by default. That would please both parties.

Edited by batto

I agree.

Even if they dont change it to much they should really make force scoop off as default similar to ACE.

Two things I would not want though is scifi zoom on normal binos or making them to easy to use. They are usually quilt unwieldy in the field because you have so many things hanging on you if you are a front line soldier. Vest, 3-4 AT single use launchers, main weapon, radio, binos etc.

When I was in the forces I usually had my binos hanging on the side under my left shoulder. That way if I threw myself to the ground I would not risk damaging the optics. The down side was that I had to move my weapon a bit to the right to pull out the bions when I was using them while prone etc.

Edited by JojoTheSlayer

Thing to bear in mind and the clue here is this could have been in 2 as ACE proved it works, but it wasn't and a mod did the job. I think some things are best left out for mod options becuase you have to remember that implementing this into vanilla means EVERYONE will have to use it, and not everyone would welcome it (discussions back in 2 forums showed this too). I personally like it in 2 with ACE and it wouldn't bother me so much If it became a vanilla feature, but, its something that is a bit particular and not for everyone.

I came to realise long ago there is good reason Vanilla has some constraints for a more middle ground for everyone & mods step in to supply the rest.

Perhaps an option that would suit everyone is to have B bring up binos straight to the eyes and RMB lower them down so that the player can look around/move without switching back to rifle and whether they're raised or lowered, pressing B again switches back to the previous weapon. Alternatively the raise/lower weapon key (I map this to 2xCtrl) could be used instead of RMB.

I can't see why anyone would object to this as if they just ignore the lower binos option it will be just the same as it currently is I think.

Ah, I see batto already suggested the same thing. It certainly seems to make sense to have binos default to raised when pressing B as generally when switching to them it's because you want to use them immediately, not just hold them in your hand.

---------- Post added at 11:52 ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 ----------

Is there a ticket for this one?

I did earlier one about another annoying binocular "feature" and scratched this issue as well but I could imagine that a separate ticket would help a lot.

Binoculars Animation - unnecessary switch to the main weapon while changing stance

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=1899

There's this one which I encourage people to vote for http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5669

Hi, i think that press B should:

- Put your weapon down on your chest, hanging from the sling.

- Then put the binocs on your hands. (if you move fast, run, jogging, sprint; then you hold the binocs on your right hand).

the RMB should bring 'em up, to look throug. That way it'll be as IRL, forceing the player to stop to scann the enviroment. Let's C ya

Hi, i think that press B should:

- Put your weapon down on your chest, hanging from the sling.

- Then put the binocs on your hands. (if you move fast, run, jogging, sprint; then you hold the binocs on your right hand).

the RMB should bring 'em up, to look throug. That way it'll be as IRL, forceing the player to stop to scann the enviroment. Let's C ya

This! Just like a launcher or a pistol.

Can't beleive that are people against this.

This! Just like a launcher or a pistol.

Can't beleive that are people against this.

They're against it I guess because they don't want to have to press two buttons when it's obvious that they're pressing B because they want to look through the binos, not because they want to hold them rather than their rifle because it feels nicer in their hand ;)

It's hard to imagine a situation where you'd want to switch to binos with no desire to look through them and being able to lower them afterwards seems more suited to wanting to reposition without switching back to rifle.

Yeah, pressing one more button in a game that already has so many will make a difference...

Hard to imagine a situation?

Better getting stuck in an animation puttin in\out the binos while under fire than run the fuck out there and then change to your primary.

Or even more simple, you thought you could see something from where you are standing, but nope, vision obstructed move 5 meter that way. You either start the whole dance or walk those meter in a miserable speed.

I really thought it was a no brainer, every other game does that and it works, but resistance here to every change is proving to be a pain in the ass.

Yeah, pressing one more button in a game that already has so many will make a difference...

Hard to imagine a situation?

Better getting stuck in an animation puttin in\out the binos while under fire than run the fuck out there and then change to your primary.

Or even more simple, you thought you could see something from where you are standing, but nope, vision obstructed move 5 meter that way. You either start the whole dance or walk those meter in a miserable speed.

I really thought it was a no brainer, every other game does that and it works, but resistance here to every change is proving to be a pain in the ass.

It's not about pushing one more button, it's about not adding unnecessary delay and pointless steps when the players wants to quickly get their binos up to look at something.

Probably a bad idea to pull out the binos when under fire, so don't press B.

If you want to move after activating the binos, then using lower weapon or RMB to lower the binos is hardly "the whole dance" and is exactly what you'd have to do if the binos defaulted to lowered, you then raised them and then decided you wanted to move.