Sign in to follow this  
WhiteArcticFox

Being able to change posture in vehicles

Being able to have such a fine control what your stance is in Arma 3 is great, it's a great addition but I think it can and should be expanded upon, such as in vehicles. With these new armoured vehicles like the Hunter and Infrit the windows aren't really in a great position all the time when driving and if you're one who prefers 1st person and usually disables 3rd person then you know this can be quite a pain in the ass as your field of view is very limited.

So my suggestion: Ctrl + W / A / S / D will change your posture or so to speak in the vehicles, so you're able to lean closer and further away from the windshield and to the left and right so you can see through the side windows better.

A little example:

Here's what it looks like as a driver in the Hunter

577616_524709580905997_39615629_n.jpg

Here's what it looks like as a passenger in the Hunter

602243_524709650905990_419074603_n.jpg

As a passenger you're slightly elevated and towards the windscreen yet it makes a great difference to what you can see outside infront of the vehicle.

Another example

524939_524709684239320_1561585503_n.jpg

580891_524709780905977_2137515680_n.jpg

Being able to change posture so you can lean towards the window will make a big difference as a rear-seat passenger as you can't see anything outside of the truck.

Which also raises to an issue with the Infrit gunner seat, this should probably be put in the arma 3 alpha section and probably has been discussed but never-the-less, as the gunner in the Infrit you are limited to only looking left, right and down when not looking through the weapon camera, should be sorted out as it's really annoying.

And another thing about the Infrit

Is this intentional?

259971_524709754239313_1400995832_n.jpg

As the side-view mirror is pretty much useless in that location ...

good idea! there's several vehicles where i wish i could sit higher, e.g. the ka-60.

u should make a ticket for this.

Yeah, the W / S should be higher and lower while Q and E are leaning sideways.

Also I'm not sure how to make a ticket :o

Pretty sure the game already has this feature.

VBS2 has in-vehicle posture changing (i.e. leaning forward from one of the front seats) but of course, the standard "just because VBS2 has it doesn't mean it'll ever get 'ported' to an Arma iteration" rule applies.

I had an idea the other day that when in a vehicle and looking left or right past a certain point (i.e. just before you start to look over your shoulder), A3 could automatically adjust your position to lean forward, into the side window and look backwards (it could optionally only do this when using Freelook), as this is what you'd do in real life to see what's at your 7-8 o'clock and is much more useful than just looking at the interior of the vehicle behind you.

I too am bothered by the seating position being too high, so that as the vehicle was tilting around a lot of my view was obscured by the top of the window frame, whereas in real life you'd adjust your head/slump in your seat so that you could continue to see properly. I'd rather A3 did this automatically though, i.e. keeping my head in a position where I can see out of the side window and not looking at the top of the frame, rather than having to try and do this manually with W / S, although if the default seating height was just lower it might not even be necessary to keep adjusting it.

I think it's more important that the driver or passenger has situational awareness and can try and see where the shooting is coming from, spot targets etc than the ability to open the window to shoot out of and thus expose themselves to fire. Generally it's the gunners job to fire back and when there's no gunner and perhaps just a driver, he probably needs to concentrate on getting away from the danger rather than trying to take them on himself (although he can always switch to the gunner seat if he really needs to).