Sign in to follow this  
Hammerballz

[Request] Walkable Interior of Vehicles

I just miss the possiblity to duck. I tried to create a mission with me and a squad on combatboat, but as i got shot by the ai I really wished I could duck behind the drivercover the minigun-protectionplate or as passenger to the ground. Besides...you know...dieing, it would be good for the atmosphere, cause no human being would stand still and get shot, if you arent a Terminator.

VBS2 allowed the front passenger ("shotgun") in a Humvee to duck, albeit to my knowledge it was "only enough so that he can point his personal weapon past the driver and shoot out that way" instead of actually ducking below the window.

Hmm...
This suggestion was processed by our team and will be looked into. We thank you for your feedback.
Nothing concrete other than a dev being aware that "A player or AI should be able too shoot out of vehicles and should be able to walk in transport planes and helis" is requested, but it's better than no acknowledgment.

I have always thought this feature should have been in the Arma series and would happy to see it implemented if possible.

Hmm...Nothing concrete other than a dev being aware that "A player or AI should be able too shoot out of vehicles and should be able to walk in transport planes and helis" is requested, but it's better than no acknowledgment.

Nice to see

Hmm...Nothing concrete other than a dev being aware that "A player or AI should be able too shoot out of vehicles and should be able to walk in transport planes and helis" is requested, but it's better than no acknowledgment.

From what I have seen so far, the "reviewed" status basically means they have scanned the ticket, it didn't look like a spam and they added it to a valid tickets list :) The "low" priority is also not that encouraging..

From what I have seen so far, the "reviewed" status basically means they have scanned the ticket, it didn't look like a spam and they added it to a valid tickets list :) The "low" priority is also not that encouraging..
Isn't that priority what the ticket-creator rates it as and not what the dev thinks of it?

Isn't that priority what the ticket-creator rates it as and not what the dev thinks of it?

Nope, only devs\moderators can change the priority.

Took some time until they reviewed my Ticket now. Let´s all hope they will implement this idea :)

I would LOVE for that to happen, but I would honestly doubt that they will ever put it in.

with physX this is possible. Anything is possible

I wouldn't hold your breath about moving/shooting from vehicles. It's been a staple request of the community since OFP.

I'd love for vehicles to become less static, more living things.

1) No cuts in animations when getting into or out of the vehicle or changing seats.

2) Actually being able to change seats without exiting the vehicle in some special emergency situations.

3) Being able to move around a bit more by adjusting your position up and down... you can lean but I keep forgetting how to because it's tricky.

4) Being able to shoot a gun from within vehicles.

5) When driving on a bumpy road you should actually shake around a bit and when crashing you should be pushed forward, fly into the air and such.

The Far Cry series has great animations for getting into vehicles and changing seats where your character actually climbs around the car if I remember it right.

Right now vehicles are just static objects with "slots" that players fill when they get in.

My feelings are that devs stopped on adding new features and concentrate on missions/campaign, bug fixing and tweaking. Jay Crowe face at E3 says it all - we didn't heard anything new we wouldn't heard at pre-E3 showcases - in fact these brought more news than E3 - like shy we-don't-know-we-hope-so on some things like shooting from inside the vehicles. My opinion is that they just want to push it to the release and I hope I am wrong.

My feelings are that devs stopped on adding new features and concentrate on missions/campaign, bug fixing and tweaking. Jay Crowe face at E3 says it all - we didn't heard anything new we wouldn't heard at pre-E3 showcases - in fact these brought more news than E3 - like shy we-don't-know-we-hope-so on some things like shooting from inside the vehicles. My opinion is that they just want to push it to the release and I hope I am wrong.
Even before the public alpha, at least one dev publicly held an attitude that "if we add 'all the things' we'd just end up in development hell with Duke Nukem Forever". :p And you may have seen all the "retracting possible-feature-claims" made last year and this year... I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved on to bug fixing, tweaking and maybe the SP campaign though, the "polish and stability" were major priorities as far as what RiE wanted out of Arma 3.

EDIT: The point is, there was going to be "feature lock-in" at some point... the devs just haven't said when.

Oh, and keep an eye on German Armed Forces Mod, if the remarks that all of its ships (a missile boat, a corvette and a LCU) are both driveable and walkable bear out...

Edited by Chortles

Even before the public alpha, at least one dev publicly held an attitude that "if we add 'all the things' we'd just end up in development hell with Duke Nukem Forever". :p And you may have seen all the "retracting possible-feature-claims" made last year and this year... I wouldn't be surprised if they've moved on to bug fixing, tweaking and maybe the SP campaign though, the "polish and stability" were major priorities as far as what RiE wanted out of Arma 3.

EDIT: The point is, there was going to be "feature lock-in" at some point... the devs just haven't said when.

Oh, and keep an eye on German Armed Forces Mod, if the remarks that all of its ships (a missile boat, a corvette and a LCU) are both driveable and walkable bear out...

Indeed GAF Mod looks promising, i would be pleased if it would apply to vanilla vehicles. Theoretically it should be possible even with ground vehicles big as trucks too.

I know that BiS is supporting their games after release with patches and such but i would salute to the idea of supporting it with features big like title feature, shooting from inside of vehicles, improved woundings, ai building routine, bipods, armor penetration, better damage modelling, realistic physical interaction for vegetation and surface (like stuck in the mud) etc... but im not sure to what extent it is possible plus taking in consideration fact that every change would affect gameplay and missions.

Walkable vehicles would mean to me that a dream has just come true.

I think that would require some intense scripting, but since ARMA III will certainly provide scripting community with better tools and function maybe someone will take care of this nice feature. There will be a lot of bugs to deal with and desync problems of course, but with a bit of time , work and luck all should be fixed I guess.

Especially a moving and walkable C130 (or a generic transport plane) would be perfect as it would save from plenty of scripted stuff just to make a realistic HALO jump. Let's see what BIS and community will do in the future.

From the GAF thread:

Driveability doesnt need any elaboration i would say, however as for walkability Physx will take care of it (In theorie), we will see once Arma3 development advanced further. If all else fails there is always the scripted solutions.
Just throwing this into the thread as a perspective on what one mod team is doing as far as "walkable interior". :)

this wish has been around since 2005, seems like it will never come true, or atleast not in the near future.

Solution closest to the engine is better to the game. IMO scripts are good for mission designing and such tasks like firing EH, rather simple tasks and something that have to be done fairly quickly. Engine modification would run these "on fly" but modding values could be harder. There are ups and downsides but overall engine implementation could be possibly less pc-consuming.