Sign in to follow this  
Hammerballz

[Request] Walkable Interior of Vehicles

I know there are no Planes or bigger boats yet but I was wondering if the new Engine could handle Players walking inside a flying C-130 for example or Even walk on some Fishing boats while it moves?

I´ve seen some attempts on ArmA 2 Already and it kinda worked. Would be great to have such thing in ArmA 3.

for reference:

Am2_hKZBofQ

8X6zYRWIUsY

Sadly, can´t find the video anymore with the C-130..

Just throwing this in..

Opinions?

Regards,

Hammer

FEEDBACK TRACKER: http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5577

Edited by Hammerballz
added feedback link

I too would love to see this feature, imagine someone driving an aircraft carrier while people on the deck take of on planes!

This is something Ive been hoping for since the OFP days, this and being able to shoot from vehicles

Well I'm not too optimistic about this, but it would be great if this could be implemented into Arma 3.

I wouldn't call it a new engine.

Besides the graphical tweaks it seems to have pretty much the same capabilities and limitations of arma2.

All I can imagine is the lag. Oh god the lag. If someone else is driving, say, an aircraft carrier, whoever is standing ontop of it's deck will just see it lag around.

I just don't see this working well unless they've some how completely fixed the issues with desync.

make a ticket,

in that video, he sayd in coments that it don't work with a mobile thing... (go foward pushed backwards) =(

What could work, and take this with a grain of salt, as I have no knowledge of how things actually work, but what if you had some sort of code or something that "locks" your character into a section of the vehicle. So you say "Ride in back" on a c-130 for instance, and you get the climbing animation, but instead of being static, you can walk around, and crouch, etc, but only in the confine of the vehicle, and only if it's big enough to walk around in/on.

As far as I know, Physx would help with the whole "sinking through the vehicles" problem that you'd see in previous iterations, where if you moved while a character was on the vehicle it'd just move from under you. Being just a guy that plays the game I could be wrong, but I imagine the physics engine could be utilized in ways beyond ragdolls/object interaction. Maybe something like this could be similiar to attachTo but with the ability to move a certain radius from what you're "linked" to, such as a vehicle?

I´ve already seen Players Walking inside a Flying C-130 on YT .. I´m not sure where the video is now (probably got deleted). What I know is, that they were not floating around inside.

It had also a mixture of attaching a static C-130 to a flying one ( HALO Showcase in ArmA 2 OA ? )

Vote up Girls

This feature exists in VBS and would be great for Ships, Carriers, Cargo Aircraft etc

Gnat;2349489']Vote up Girls

This feature exists in VBS and would be great for Ships' date=' Carriers, Cargo Aircraft etc[/quote']

No Sh*t???

Well then VOTE VOTE VOTE!!!!!! :D

Was just about to say... It´s possible in other games aswell..

Anyways, opened a Ticket for this..

http://feedback.arma3.com/view.php?id=5577

Any Opinions, Votes and critics are appreciated!

Regards,

Hammer

Look at their blog post from June 2011: http://www.bistudio.com/english/company/developers-blog/230-experimental-betas-interpolating-the-future

They do know what interpolation is, they use it, and as almost everything requested here: its by far not as easy as you would imagine.

Interpolation between now and a future point in time can only be done by assuming the future movement (a carrier accelerating by the same as like 10 seconds ago for example), but as the vehicles are also player controlled no reliable assumption can be done! (for ai you could precalculate the future decision and even this is not 100% reliable unless the future decision is synced)

so even when interpolation can smooth out the lag a little bit, a player controlled vehicle can always "beam" itself suddenly to the left as the player controlling the vehicle turned it to the left and the interpolation continued moving it forward.

• Like 1

Maybe if the position checking in vehicles wouldn't be done againts the general grid of terrain, but against separate grid involving only the vehicle itself... but not sure how this can be done within RV limits.

As awesome as this would be, I would imagine it would be damn hard to come up with at this stage. Would love to see it, though.

I have seen this in VBS2.

With vehicles inside the C-130,they made a "fast insertion",flying really low and dropping the armor.

If i only could find the video...:(

Hi, it would be great and a true improvement if will be possible to walk/move freely by the cargo of the large vehicles as choppers, boats, trucks and planes. Let's C ya

@Hammerbalz (AND EVERYONE ELSE ON THIS FORUM!!!!)

There is an edit button. It's pretty nice. If you click it you can edit your posts. Now one thing I always saw as a best-practice for forums is to update the first post with relevant information, so people don't have to read every single post. Seeing a feedback ticket for the issue discussed in the topic is probably (very) important it might be wise to add that to your first post.

Anyway, I don't care that much for walkable interiors, (Even though walking in a biggie airplane with crates standing around would be nice), but shooting from the interior (Or even outside of car windows) is one of my most wanted features. That would be a nice thing to start with. Walkable interiors would ofcourse be even sweeter.

Hmm... Maybe it can be done with scripts by setting the unit's velocity to the velocity of the vehicle they are in/near.