Sign in to follow this  
ZeroG

Using inbuilt 3D-Editor for map making

well im currently waiting on the "African Foilage" addon to be ported to arma3 via the author as my island is very tropical.

Berghoffs tree pack works in A3 as it is...

B

well im currently waiting on the "African Foilage" addon to be ported to arma3 via the author as my island is very tropical.

Yeah, like B say..if A2 addons wouldn't work, I wouldnt have republished that addon :)

Just put the trees into a modfolder and you will see that you can place them normally and they also get affected by the new weather module...

Yeah i understand that African folilage works with arma3 but from this part in the readme:

====[ ONLY FOR USE WITH ARMA II ]====

====[ CONTENT MAY NOT BE REDISTRUBITED (Unpacked, refitted etc) IN A DIFFERENT ADDON UNLESS ASKED ]====

====[ CONTENT MAY NOT BE REDISTRUBITED IN A DIFFERENT GAME ]====

its not to be used in anything but arma 2?

Good point! Well, seems one would have to ask then...while I don't think the answer would be no...

Hey can someone tell me if my codes are correct? I've tried it from the Documents folder to the Arma 3 folder like in the video.

I copied it from the address bar so no mistakes. I also made sure that I saved the biedi file with the correct file type. The first time i had it as "mission.biedi.txt" but now it's in 3D.Stratis folder; mission.biedi.

I just keep loading to the main screen. Thanks

From Arma 3

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi" -nosplash -mod=@CBA_A3;@X

From Documents

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "C:\Users\zac\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\Victim913\missions\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi" -nosplash -mod=@CBA_A3;@X

Actually reading this message, the last code shows "bie di" But thats not how I typed it. I edited it even and it still comes out that way. Also the quotation mark keeps putting a space between it and the word. Maybe there is something wrong with the font or something that makes it unreadable.

Edited by victim913

Hi victim913

I have the same problem. Have followed the instructions and also just goes to the loading screen as normal. Just wanted to know you're not alone....

Odd. I just tested it again and it works. That is my shortcut:

"STEAM\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\xxx\missions\xxx.stratis\mission.biedi" -nosplash

While XXX are variables for your own names.

Make sure there is a "mission.biedi" file (just create an empty textfile) in the folder the shortcut points to, else you will get main screen.

Edited by ZeroG

I have tried everything, cant get it to work,

Do I need to have quotation marks with a space after arma3.exe eg. .exe" "c:\with this as the path, including the text file\mission.biedi" in the shortcut target

I don't have an F10 option, only goes up to F7 in the editor?

What am I doing wrong?

Yes, you need the quotation marks - simply copy my post to the shortcut and change the XXX.

You have F10 only in 3D editor.

Berghoffs tree pack works in A3 as it is...

I can confirm this as I have put some AF trees on my testmap...it works great

I got it to work. When I saw my copied message in my post, i noticed that the spaces and qoutes were in the wrong place. This happened before with arma 2. I copied a command from a webpage and from Word and even though when I pasted it in Notepad, it looked right, it was wrong.

Don't copy ZeroG's command. You will copy the italics. When you paste it on your shortcut it will show all the letters in Normal font, but they aren't. It still gets recognized as italic and the shortcut won't read it correctly.

SO TRY THIS if you can't get it to work:

-Erase the quotes and retype them on notepad or directly on the shortcut. This might fix it.

and/or

-RETYPE the entire command in notepad.

That should fix it.

Notepad has it's own settings. So if you copy the italic, notepad will show it in whatever font is default. Unlike word, with notepad, the font has to be the same for the entire page. but still keeps the italic command and that screws this up.

Odd. I just tested it again and it works. That is my shortcut:

"STEAM\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "C:\Users\xxx\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\xxx\missions\xxx.stratis\mission.biedi" -nosplash

While XXX are variables for your own names.

Make sure there is a "mission.biedi" file (just create an empty textfile) in the folder the shortcut points to, else you will get main screen.

Im so confused I've done every step correct that i know of and still nothing i copied your spoiler and i replaced it with all the correct things and then copied it put it into notepad rewrote it then pasted in in the steam game but still it wont work please help

(the f10 wont show)

I got it working, make sure the short-cut start up parameter are not conflicting with the Steam start up parameters

That took mw almost 3 hours to figure out

It works , Thanks

I got it working, make sure the short-cut start up parameter are not conflicting with the Steam start up parameters

That took mw almost 3 hours to figure out

It works , Thanks

Where do you fix parameters

---------- Post added at 16:06 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

I got it to work. When I saw my copied message in my post, i noticed that the spaces and qoutes were in the wrong place. This happened before with arma 2. I copied a command from a webpage and from Word and even though when I pasted it in Notepad, it looked right, it was wrong.

Don't copy ZeroG's command. You will copy the italics. When you paste it on your shortcut it will show all the letters in Normal font, but they aren't. It still gets recognized as italic and the shortcut won't read it correctly.

SO TRY THIS if you can't get it to work:

-Erase the quotes and retype them on notepad or directly on the shortcut. This might fix it.

and/or

-RETYPE the entire command in notepad.

That should fix it.

Notepad has it's own settings. So if you copy the italic, notepad will show it in whatever font is default. Unlike word, with notepad, the font has to be the same for the entire page. but still keeps the italic command and that screws this up.

Can you help me its not working :(

hi

Got it working - I had other parameters set in the steam shortcut as suggested (under steam library right click arma3, properties etc..) - got rid of them and followed as above and works - Thanks for the help

Actually, its working fine with some tricks.

For converting missions from biedi to sqm, use THIS tool.

Alternatively you can just execVM the mission.sqf the 3D Editor generates in init, it'll keep all of the data for the objects which is stripped when converting it to .sqm (Height, health, fuel, name, so on).

Meh, moved my post around a bit as this thread seemed more suiting.

Adding to the simple, non 3rd party tool howto, i´ve learned from Moerderhoschi:

Create the 3d editor stuff you want and save it.

Then go to the mission folder, inside youll find mission.sqf (sample below), open it and do the following:

green part = add this for use on servers

red parts = delete

blue parts = if you placed AI´s (this sample only has AI, doh), you´ll have to divide their groups by hand to prevent them running off of their placed positions to the leader.

Save the changes you´ve made. Copy the mission.sqf into your actual non 3d mission folder.

And from there you can execute it like any other script, it´ll spawn your placed entities perfectly fine.

[color=green]if (!isServer) exitWith {};[/color]

[color=red]activateAddons [
];

activateAddons [];
initAmbientLife;[/color]

_this = createCenter east;
_center_0 = _this;

_group_0 = createGroup _center_0;
[color=blue]_group_1 = createGroup _center_0;[/color]

_unit_5 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
 _this = _group_0 createUnit ["RU_Commander", [10109.348, 10687.324, 1.1962159], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
 _unit_5 = _this;
 _this setDir 92.316864;
 _this setUnitAbility 0.60000002;
 if (true) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
 if (true) then {selectPlayer _this;};
};

_unit_10 = objNull;
if (true) then
{
 _this = [color=blue]_group_1 createUnit[/color] ["Ins_Soldier_MG", [9821.9834, 10867.042, 1.6556617], [], 0, "CAN_COLLIDE"];
 _unit_10 = _this;
 _this setDir 138.92012;
 _this setUnitAbility 0.60000002;
 if (false) then {_group_0 selectLeader _this;};
};
[color=red]
processInitCommands;
runInitScript;
finishMissionInit;[/color]

Not working for me, tried literally just about everything. My guess is that it's got to be something with the new update and/or me switching to the dev build to run a server and then switching back to normal build.

EDIT - Found the fix. I've made quite a few missions on A3 before, so I'm not sure about anyone else but..

Instead of pathing to "....Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\YOURNAME\missions\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi" I pathed to "....Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\YOURNAME\UserSaved\missions\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi"

Hope this fixes anyone else!

Edited by Assifuah

Not working for me, tried literally just about everything. My guess is that it's got to be something with the new update and/or me switching to the dev build to run a server and then switching back to normal build.

EDIT - Found the fix. I've made quite a few missions on A3 before, so I'm not sure about anyone else but..

Instead of pathing to "....Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\YOURNAME\missions\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi" I pathed to "....Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\YOURNAME\UserSaved\missions\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi"

Hope this fixes anyone else!

I'm glad you said this. I've been having trouble with arma 3 as buldozer for visitor 3 all the sudden and I'm wondering now if its because I have the dev build on. Hmm guess ill reinstall and find out.

Again, this shortcut (target line) works as it is:

"C:\STEAM\SteamApps\common\Arma 3\arma3.exe" "C:\Users\XXXX\Documents\Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles\XXXXX\missions\XXXXX\mission.biedi" -nosplash

It doesnt have to be in the user saved directory - just make sure there is a mission.biedi file in the target folder. It can be a 0 size textfile, but if it s not there, youll just see the Main Menu, not the editor.

Also, it can also be Arma 3 Alpha instead of Arma 3 Alpha - Other Profiles, depending on where your wished profile is located.

I did it correctly. When I moved the mission folder from the first directory you listed to my UserSaved it worked first load.

I don't know why, but it only works when I put it into xxxxxx\UserSaved\mission\3D.Stratis\mission.biedi

But I know I did it right the first times round, I don't need to have it reiterated to me. :P

Yeah, why did I even bother to help :eek:

Well, as long as it works all is good...

Edited by ZeroG

Yeah sorry about that, didn't mean to put it across that way :)

Cheers for the post though, helped out a friend of mine when I was too lazy to. :p

i keep getting error "Type Script, excpected Nothing" while using mr.burns method :/

(im adding buildings to mpmission, i have tried init.sqf and units init)

EDIT:

DOH!! :p

Got it working now, in init.sqf type just execVM not this execVM :)

Edited by Dren