shay_gman

MCC Sandbox 3 - Dynamic mission creating tool for ArmA 3

I also have problem with saves. Neither the save to profile, nor the clipboard save doesn't work for a while.

First I thought it was the VAS as some said before, but it's not working wheter I use VAS or not.

When I try to load from profile, simply nothing happens. When I try to load from clipboard, the screen goes dark, says "loading" for a minute, but after that nothing is loaded.

The stuff saved from clipboard shows as a single line for me too.

Weird thing is, that between these tries, I made a very quick thing when we wanted to play some generated missions; I put down a zeus prefab base, with half a dozen soldiers, and some 4-5 vehicles - I saved that to profile too, and to my suprise, that could be loaded later. The only difference I can think of, that this was much smaller, and had only stationary AIs.

All this happened using the mission version.

There was a report that saving a VAS crate break the save function. Can you confirm?

Ok thanks i'll check it out.

I am not using anything outside of MCC except for some units and vehicles placed with the 2D editor.

I only use MCC to create custom crates. However, I have noticed that if I create a custom crate, clear it then add contents, the original objects are still in the crate with my added ones.

I might try saving without creating a custom create and see what happens.

I have tried just adding a start location but still get the same problem and single line in the save/load box. There is a VAS but only if I use MCC, if I remove it the VAS is not there, so I assume it is part of MCC.

This is what saved after I added a start location and a box with 2 different items in but when I try to load it II just get Loading Mission but it wont load.

[[],[["WEST",[["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",[]],["mcc_gaia_cache",false],["MCC_GAIA_RESPAWN",0]],[]]],[["EMPTY","B_supplyCrate_F",[15170.6,17365.6,0.000450134],359.99,";if (isServer) then {[[_this, [[],[]], [["HandGrenade"],[5]], [["FirstAidKit"],[5]], [[],[]]],"MCC_fnc_boxGenerator",_this,false] spawn BIS_fnc_MP};;_this setpos [15170.6,17365.6,0];"]],[0.3,0.3,0.1,0,0.0107804,0],[2035,6,25,12,2,""]];

Edited by CarpetBurns
Added more info

Firstly, thanks for the great mod. I really enjoy using it!

Secondly, I get a problem when I try to hijack a unit. I can use the hijack command and I am also able to switch back to the original player. But when the hijacked unit dies I am not switched back to the original player. Instead I get the respawn countdown. Also, I respawn as the hijacked unit.

I am also using the XMedSys Mod. Could that be the reason for the problem?

First off, thank you for this really helpful and awesome tool.

I'm mostly using it as a 3d Editor, to manually build bases to assault.

I have encountered some annoying "features" tho:

1.) Items snapping together when placed close together.

Align to terrain disabled.

smooth placement enabled or disabled.

This is especially annoying when stacking e.g. Containers and Fortifications on-top of each other.

e.g. to get proper fortification even on places, that are not perfectly flat. They sometimes do not get build where the editor says they are, but a bit to the side. which makes em free-float on one side in the air.

It also happens when you wanna place buildings close to each other. E.g. Structures [industrial] - Industrial Shed [small] - placing 2 of em close to each other you can't e.g. make em function like a Wall made out Storage sheds, since the second one you place gets placed slightly off the other one. When placing it with very low mouse resolution, you can notice a snapping or jumping effect between those 2 buildings, but regardless, smoothly placing seems impossible.

2.) Editor not remembering the last placed item.

It however remembers Faction. Type, but not class.

Edited by Ecid

Hey Shay!

I had a thought today after a mission last night. What do you think about making it so that you can put the objective markers down for missions from the mission generator?

What brought this up was a mission I did last night using the mission generator to build a mission in a specific zone. The zone was kind of large and when the mission was generated, all three objectives were within 100m of eachother. I was hoping that they would be spread out across the entire zone to stretch the mission out.

Anyways, that's my thought for the day(I try to limit myself to one a day).

I just did a quick test to confirm a suspicion about my save problem.

It seems to me, that if I put anything to a unit's init field, the save will be corrupt. (It would explain my previous experiences about one save working, the others aren't)

I wasn't very thorough, I only tried one thing:

First I put down some random things: an arty d.o.c, a unit with zeus, and spawned two sentries from mcc - save to profile, or save to clipboard worked all right, I was able to load both.

Second try, I put down a single rifleman, adding "kneel" in the 3d editor - the saving/loading didn't work. (Loading from profile - nothing happened; loading from clipboard - black screen with "loading" for long time, but nothing loaded)

Hope this helps a bit.

How do I delete zones or update them?

How do I delete zones or update them?

Have a look here:

Hello. This outstanding mod is pretty much all we play at our place so thanks very much! I am using the latest version of mcc.

I am having difficulties getting troops transported in helicopters or vehicles. I spawn say a heli and a squad. I order the squad to get in the heli which it does fine. After that its hit or miss whether the heli will move and even if it does I can't get anyone to get out. Have tried troops unload, unload and get out command. What should be the exact sequence in mcc to get a hello or even victimless transport to happen effectively?

One time I has flying around in a chinook created three squads loaded them in flew them to a tgt and used the troops unload and outbound they came! Now I can't get it to work. Any guidance deeply appreciated. thank you.

Los

I am not using anything outside of MCC except for some units and vehicles placed with the 2D editor.

I only use MCC to create custom crates. However, I have noticed that if I create a custom crate, clear it then add contents, the original objects are still in the crate with my added ones.

I might try saving without creating a custom create and see what happens.

I have tried just adding a start location but still get the same problem and single line in the save/load box. There is a VAS but only if I use MCC, if I remove it the VAS is not there, so I assume it is part of MCC.

This is what saved after I added a start location and a box with 2 different items in but when I try to load it II just get Loading Mission but it wont load.

[[],[["WEST",[["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",[]],["mcc_gaia_cache",false],["MCC_GAIA_RESPAWN",0]],[]]],[["EMPTY","B_supplyCrate_F",[15170.6,17365.6,0.000450134],359.99,";if (isServer) then {[[_this, [[],[]], [["HandGrenade"],[5]], [["FirstAidKit"],[5]], [[],[]]],"MCC_fnc_boxGenerator",_this,false] spawn BIS_fnc_MP};;_this setpos [15170.6,17365.6,0];"]],[0.3,0.3,0.1,0,0.0107804,0],[2035,6,25,12,2,""]];

When save string breaks it something to do with syntax most likely something in the init line of some unit as the VAS init line or something that breaks the syntax for the compiler I'm running some fail safe of the save function that replace all " to ' exc but something do breaks it sometimes now there are two ways the community can help me overcome it so we can make a truly stable real time savable 3D editor:

1. Finding and crushing all the bugs out there by trying to isolate the init line that is causing the break.

2. My preferred option: someone in the community that is willing to give a hand and have some third party software experience that can take the MCC output and generate a file not just a big string. Something like the LEA or inidbi or the launchers tools for ArmA. So if someone knows someone spread the word and we will build it. It shouldn't be too hard even a dll file can make in.

Firstly, thanks for the great mod. I really enjoy using it!

Secondly, I get a problem when I try to hijack a unit. I can use the hijack command and I am also able to switch back to the original player. But when the hijacked unit dies I am not switched back to the original player. Instead I get the respawn countdown. Also, I respawn as the hijacked unit.

I am also using the XMedSys Mod. Could that be the reason for the problem?

Probably something to do with the respawn script of Xmed as it is probably overwrite the on respawn event handler of MCC.

First off, thank you for this really helpful and awesome tool.

I'm mostly using it as a 3d Editor, to manually build bases to assault.

I have encountered some annoying "features" tho:

1.) Items snapping together when placed close together.

Align to terrain disabled.

smooth placement enabled or disabled.

This is especially annoying when stacking e.g. Containers and Fortifications on-top of each other.

e.g. to get proper fortification even on places, that are not perfectly flat. They sometimes do not get build where the editor says they are, but a bit to the side. which makes em free-float on one side in the air.

It also happens when you wanna place buildings close to each other. E.g. Structures [industrial] - Industrial Shed [small] - placing 2 of em close to each other you can't e.g. make em function like a Wall made out Storage sheds, since the second one you place gets placed slightly off the other one. When placing it with very low mouse resolution, you can notice a snapping or jumping effect between those 2 buildings, but regardless, smoothly placing seems impossible.

2.) Editor not remembering the last placed item.

It however remembers Faction. Type, but not class.

I don't know why it is happening in some objects but I'll try to investigate it over. It might be something with the engine as it working great for some and not so great for other objects. Also you can build your FOB in Zeus and save it with MCC.

Hey Shay!

I had a thought today after a mission last night. What do you think about making it so that you can put the objective markers down for missions from the mission generator?

What brought this up was a mission I did last night using the mission generator to build a mission in a specific zone. The zone was kind of large and when the mission was generated, all three objectives were within 100m of eachother. I was hoping that they would be spread out across the entire zone to stretch the mission out.

Anyways, that's my thought for the day(I try to limit myself to one a day).

Ohhh you gonna love the new update

I just did a quick test to confirm a suspicion about my save problem.

It seems to me, that if I put anything to a unit's init field, the save will be corrupt. (It would explain my previous experiences about one save working, the others aren't)

I wasn't very thorough, I only tried one thing:

First I put down some random things: an arty d.o.c, a unit with zeus, and spawned two sentries from mcc - save to profile, or save to clipboard worked all right, I was able to load both.

Second try, I put down a single rifleman, adding "kneel" in the 3d editor - the saving/loading didn't work. (Loading from profile - nothing happened; loading from clipboard - black screen with "loading" for long time, but nothing loaded)

Hope this helps a bit.

Yeah it helps I'll check it out – but guys like you that give a precise bug report postponed the update just joking I'll do my best to fix it on time.

Hello. This outstanding mod is pretty much all we play at our place so thanks very much! I am using the latest version of mcc.

I am having difficulties getting troops transported in helicopters or vehicles. I spawn say a heli and a squad. I order the squad to get in the heli which it does fine. After that its hit or miss whether the heli will move and even if it does I can't get anyone to get out. Have tried troops unload, unload and get out command. What should be the exact sequence in mcc to get a hello or even victimless transport to happen effectively?

One time I has flying around in a chinook created three squads loaded them in flew them to a tgt and used the troops unload and outbound they came! Now I can't get it to work. Any guidance deeply appreciated. thank you.

Los

Try drawing a selection box over the helicopter. As when clicking on the icon it most likely select the cargo group and not the vehicle itself so a selection box will select them all.

I'll try to update it so once a group is inside a vehicle its icon will be removed from the map.

Indeed looking forward to the new update shay!

What are your thoughts about GAIA as a standalone? We have bCombat and ASR_AI that both try to modify low level processing, but a higher order 'commander' is needed. GAIA fills this need perfectly. VCOMAI tries to be a little bit of both, but GAIA would just be great. I could imagine just simply using TPW_MODS skirmish mode, with GAIA standalone and it would keep me amused for hours!

What are your thoughts about GAIA as a standalone?

op pls

bCOmbat + ALiVE + GAIA

When save string breaks it something to do with syntax most likely something in the init line of some unit as the VAS init line or something that breaks the syntax for the compiler I'm running some fail safe of the save function that replace all " to ' exc but something do breaks it sometimes now there are two ways the community can help me overcome it so we can make a truly stable real time savable 3D editor:

1. Finding and crushing all the bugs out there by trying to isolate the init line that is causing the break.

2. My preferred option: someone in the community that is willing to give a hand and have some third party software experience that can take the MCC output and generate a file not just a big string. Something like the LEA or inidbi or the launchers tools for ArmA. So if someone knows someone spread the word and we will build it. It shouldn't be too hard even a dll file can make in.

I could write something that does this and then execute a callExtension to save to a file. The problem with this, is that it depends on the C++ libraries to be on the PC. It also might get kind of annoying to have to specify an output directory. I will start to mess around on my system and if I come up with something I think would not be inconvenient to have in a mod, I will forward it along.

Are you sure it can't be done easily in sqf?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154940-Config-Parser-Script

Perhaps one could avoid specifying a file as destination, just send to the clipboard? If a file had to be generated during that process, generate a file in %TEMP% behind the scenes and place its contents on the clipboard. Just a thought, as I think that the current method of the clipboard as destination from within MCC is very clever. One can always access it using Alt-tab and save in a file if necessary. I paste into an editor and uses bits but rarely saves

-OP

Does the MCC_allowedPlayers command work fine in the server.cfg or does it have to be in a mission init file?

Try drawing a selection box over the helicopter. As when clicking on the icon it most likely select the cargo group and not the vehicle itself so a selection box will select them all.

I'll try to update it so once a group is inside a vehicle its icon will be removed from the map.

Thank you that was precisely it!

Los

On a side note I'm happy to say that I've fixed the broken save function when an init line was added to a unit.

What are your thoughts about GAIA as a standalone? We have bCombat and ASR_AI that both try to modify low level processing, but a higher order 'commander' is needed. GAIA fills this need perfectly. VCOMAI tries to be a little bit of both, but GAIA would just be great. I could imagine just simply using TPW_MODS skirmish mode, with GAIA standalone and it would keep me amused for hours!

MCC gives an easy interface to the amazing GAIA so it is up to Spirit to decide.

I could write something that does this and then execute a callExtension to save to a file. The problem with this, is that it depends on the C++ libraries to be on the PC. It also might get kind of annoying to have to specify an output directory. I will start to mess around on my system and if I come up with something I think would not be inconvenient to have in a mod, I will forward it along.

Are you sure it can't be done easily in sqf?

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?154940-Config-Parser-Script

Nope, so far there is no command to save to file. I can dump the output to the rpt file but I find that this method is worst then save to clipboard or profile name space. As most players don't know where is the rpt file and the rpt file is full of well reports that clog the file with unusable information for those who want to save the file.

Perhaps one could avoid specifying a file as destination, just send to the clipboard? If a file had to be generated during that process, generate a file in %TEMP% behind the scenes and place its contents on the clipboard. Just a thought, as I think that the current method of the clipboard as destination from within MCC is very clever. One can always access it using Alt-tab and save in a file if necessary. I paste into an editor and uses bits but rarely saves

-OP

Right now it is sending the output to the clipboard the so all we need is extension (as third party, local program that runs on background and takes the data from the clipboard and save it as mission.sqm on the user specific path and file name. Shouldn't be too hard maybe I'll find the time to learn how to do it myself but if someone could help I'm sure the community will appreciate it.

Does the MCC_allowedPlayers command work fine in the server.cfg or does it have to be in a mission init file?

Server.cfg doesn't hold variables so it have to go in the init.sqf.

What exactly would GAIA stand alone look like? It is integrated in MCC so if we call the mod @GAIA or @MCC will not make much of a difference. Already you can just use in the 2d editor of bis and give commands in the initline. I think it is time for me to make some video about that. Shay and me have been quite inactive lately due to rl stuff, but our meeting in holland by the end of this month might just change that. Our 3rd rl meeting :)

I suppose I'm just talking about automatic functionality (like having a high level commander). So having @GAIA means that the AI will react in the wonderful way they do in MCC, but without being specifically put onto unit inits. All units created on the field of war are given to @GAIA on spawn.

Say we had @GAIA and I make a mission with 5 groups on each side. I set 2x groups to guard, 2x groups for S&D and 1 on HOLD on each side. @GAIA then kicks in and, on contact, retasks the guard groups to reinforce. Of course MCC could do this, but having an invisible commander that directs AI intelligently would be awesome as a standalone pbo. I would then drop it into my @alwaysuse directory and let GAIA do his/her work !

Does that make sense?

Good to see you guys are meeting up in RL too ! Looking forward to the updates.

Here it is I give you GAIA stand alone full automization (didn't test it yet i'm at work but it should work) :confused:

Put this in your init.sqf line and place one marker and call it "MarkerName" then you can have gazilions of groups fighting each other (since GAIA cache them) and they will keep on respawning (don't forget to edit the attacker and defenders exc).

If (isServer) then 
{
Private ["_attacking","_defending","_activeGroups","_leader"];
_attacking    = [east];
_defending    = [west, resistance];
_activeGroups = [];

0 spawn 
{
{
   _leader = leader _x;
   If (!(isPlayer _leader) && !(_x in _activeGroups)) then
   {
       If (side _leader in _attacking) then
       {
           _x setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["MarkerName"," MOVE"], true];
       };

If (side _leader in _defending) then
       {
           _x setVariable ["GAIA_ZONE_INTEND",["MarkerName","NOFOLLOW"], true];
       };

//Disable this if you don't want MCC to cache the group
       _x setVariable ["mcc_gaia_cache",true,true];

//Disable or edit this if you don't want groups to respawn
       _x setVariable ["MCC_GAIA_RESPAWN",999,true];

_activeGroups set [count _activeGroups, _x];
    };
} foreach allGroups;

Sleep 120;
};
};

Just awesome! Many thanks shay!

I'm a gonna blow stuff up later with this.

I suppose I'm just talking about automatic functionality (like having a high level commander). So having @GAIA means that the AI will react in the wonderful way they do in MCC, but without being specifically put onto unit inits. All units created on the field of war are given to @GAIA on spawn.

Say we had @GAIA and I make a mission with 5 groups on each side. I set 2x groups to guard, 2x groups for S&D and 1 on HOLD on each side. @GAIA then kicks in and, on contact, retasks the guard groups to reinforce. Of course MCC could do this, but having an invisible commander that directs AI intelligently would be awesome as a standalone pbo. I would then drop it into my @alwaysuse directory and let GAIA do his/her work !

Does that make sense?

Good to see you guys are meeting up in RL too ! Looking forward to the updates.

I saw shay already produced some code, but apart from that I understand what you mean. Personaly I think what you want is more control over GAIA about what she controls. How about we make a GAIA setting tab somewhere in the GUI where you can define stuff like that. So by default it is on : "GAIA given units" but GAIA might reaction on " ALL UNITS ON MAP", "ALL EAST ON MAP" etc etc. That way you can just go in MCC and switch the thingy on and gaia will take off.

I also had been thinking a lot of giving a "brush" to the mission maker. One simple "brushes" on the map the colors blue, red and grey. Everywhere where the brush is used units will be spawned and cached for gaia. Each color a side. (need some thinking about factions) YOu can then very simple give the environment some more action if needed. So you have generated a mission but you want to brush something like a frontline that actualy holds units when you get there. Brush both colors there and you can even have a battle ones you get there (cached units wont fight then) How about that?

I also had been thinking a lot of giving a "brush" to the mission maker. One simple "brushes" on the map the colors blue, red and grey. Everywhere where the brush is used units will be spawned and cached for gaia. Each color a side. (need some thinking about factions) YOu can then very simple give the environment some more action if needed. So you have generated a mission but you want to brush something like a frontline that actualy holds units when you get there. Brush both colors there and you can even have a battle ones you get there (cached units wont fight then) How about that?

This reminds me a lot of Alive (except that, IIRC, cached units fight in Alive). And yes, good idea !! :)

If we could have a CTI-like commander module, where you define the initial force strenght and type (ex: many but only inf; or medium but mixed arms), the regeneration rate and possible key points that are giving more regen, all forces possibly managed by GAIA, we would be able to produce a fluid battle where we, the players, have a real impact.

The key regen points could be objectives created by the mission generator or designed by the MCC GM.

Just my $0.02

I saw shay already produced some code, but apart from that I understand what you mean. Personaly I think what you want is more control over GAIA about what she controls. How about we make a GAIA setting tab somewhere in the GUI where you can define stuff like that. So by default it is on : "GAIA given units" but GAIA might reaction on " ALL UNITS ON MAP", "ALL EAST ON MAP" etc etc. That way you can just go in MCC and switch the thingy on and gaia will take off.

Now we're talking! GAIA is such a powerful tool that it would be criminal not to use it more!

Looking forward to your update guys. Looks like it will be awesome !