Sign in to follow this  
tomerthehunter

How can i use the Bipod ?

I Still don't get how BIS didn't include the Bipod in Arma series, i never played arma 2 but i thought you can use the bipod in it for sure. now that i bought arma 3 and i see you cant even use the bipod, and arma is supposed to be a war simulation game and realistic game and the dev don't include such a basic attachment. are they drunk or something?? ...

maybe if people actually want it they should go and support the threads on the feedback tracker that basiclly request weapon resting and have something like 300 votes in support last i checked last week

I Still don't get how BIS didn't include the Bipod in Arma series, i never played arma 2 but i thought you can use the bipod in it for sure.

Well, there you go.. you didn't play it and you thought wrong. Bipods are do-able, most people who have played the series longer then ArmA 3 know that. If BIS take the time to implement a bit of extra config maybe even an animation they'll please a horde of fans.

maybe if people actually want it they should go and support the threads on the feedback tracker that basiclly request weapon resting and have something like 300 votes in support last i checked last week

Maybe a link to said feedback thread, for the lazy? :D

Wow, some of you guys actually think the bipod will serve a purpose other than purely aesthetical (is that a word)? I'm talking to you guys who've been around since at least ArmA 2. We know BIS by now. They aren't going to add something like that in because it's not important enough. Now, I'd be willing to believe that bipods would serve a purpose if BIS had made bottom rail attachments customizable (your grenade launchers and foregrips). But they didn't do that. Don't hold out hope for this feature. And, yeah, as Viper said, don't compare ArmA 3 to BF3 or even think that Arma 3 is supposed to be BF3. Don't even play the game as a substitute for BF3. Not the same genre, not the same type of game, and if you're expecting BF3 you'll be disappointed.

So, because ArmaIII is a sim, and BF3 is an Arcade Action Shooter. We CANNOT have a functioning bipod option... You fanboys are straight whacked out of your minds! No wonder DayZ had to save BI.

I just really doubt BIS will get around to doing this. If they added bipods, then they'd go ahead and do all the bottom rail attachments.

One has nothing to do with the other. Resting a weapon (at least the way both ACE and i44 have done it), does NOT require a the model to have a bipod, not does it require the game to support under-rail attachments (although i do agree it would be nice).

So, because ArmaIII is a sim, and BF3 is an Arcade Action Shooter. We CANNOT have a functioning bipod option... You fanboys are straight whacked out of your minds! No wonder DayZ had to save BI.

Talk about an ignorant person. ArmA 3 was already near the end of production before DayZ even released. It was suppose to be out Q3 of 2012. But they delayed it a year because they wanted to impalement the PhsyX engine into the game. So I don't know where you got this information that Day Z saved BIS. Especially when BIS had just released a previous game as well. Not to mention, BI Worldwide has plenty of money they make from the Contracts they have with multiple governments military making VBS2, and charging them a butt load for licensing and development.

That aside, there is a reason Bipods have a purpose in BF3 and not in ArmA 3, for one, competitive reasons. There are tons of attachments in BF3 to give different competitive attributes and "stats" (important to games like BF3 and CoD). Thats it, its just to give different stats to the gun. Its more of the "RPG" element twitchy shooters give to help people feel special and different. They are also not mil sims or realistic. Such as in BF3, the flash supressor "prevents you from being detected on the radar". Not sure how that works out, or how that is realistic at all. Sure, it would be nice to have working bipods. But its not like its a deal breaker. Plus as many have said, Dwarden already wants it, so we will see. Otherwise, wait for a mod to add it like has been the case.

second part of your post is garbage, but you make a good point in the first. that's basically what the bipod argument comes down to. i'd also say there's a hint of "bis can do no wrong" in there as well. this type of fanboyism needs to stop.

Re: Kocrachon -- last I checked, in BF3 the flash suppressor (or flash hider) doesn't prevent "detection on the minimap", it only mitigates the muzzle flash (obviously) but without affecting the weapon's ballistics like the sound suppressor does in that game.

Why is everyone freaking out about this feature? ACE has been doing this successfully using the shift+space combo to rest your weapon on objects in the game world. Im sure if the devs want to implement it they can OR maybe their smart enough to focus on the things that the modding community hasn't already figured out.

Have you used the feature?

It is, quite simply, addictive. (At least for me.) It has a significant effect on using cover (previously you would have to go prone to have some good accuracy, and prone on the side of a hill... or on top of a rock... is just plain annoying.) It allows you to effectively suppress from a long distance, and it is also just a cool feature.

I think we can all agree that weapon resting would be a great addition to the control system. I cannot see a downside to it, performance hit would be minimal as it's a user action not a constant monitor.

I think we can all agree that weapon resting would be a great addition to the control system. I cannot see a downside to it, performance hit would be minimal as it's a user action not a constant monitor.

Hmmm, I wonder if having it constantly monitor would have a performance impact anyway... I44 does it (as does RO, but that's a different engine).

My main problems with ACE's implementation were the time it took to happen, often a second or two and the awkward keybind. I think I'd prefer I44's automatic resting if possible.

IMO weapon resting and ACRE style positional voice/radio are the tied as the most needed features in this game, with a proper medical system coming in close second. ACE *can* provide these, but why not just put them in the game? Surely if modders can do it so can BIS...

Seems that with radios ACRE and ACE health are more than BI wants to be default, but I don't believe a dev has elaborated on weapon resting.

Why is everyone freaking out about this feature? ACE has been doing this successfully using the shift+space combo to rest your weapon on objects in the game world. Im sure if the devs want to implement it they can OR maybe their smart enough to focus on the things that the modding community hasn't already figured out.

You've obviously not played the series for very long (which I am not criticizing) as every sequel to the original has added features the modding community first added, just look with SoulAssassins Paladin, that has made it into A3, aswell of a whole host of mines from ACE2, including Tripwire mines! The list goes on.

Same goes for smookies animations, though he was actually hired to implement these. Every sequel to the original armed assault has been improved by features or models (not used by BI but created themselves) made by the modding community, essentially the resource of BI's success. Of course with engine upgrades etc

Name a single thing the devs have focused on that the modding community hasn't already made. ;)

Edited by VIPER[CWW]
bold quotes post

Ok guys, so I've read most of this thread so admittedly I did not read it all. But from what I gather, TomerTheHunter created this thread as he wanted to know how he could use the bipod. Meaning that he wanted to use an attachment (removable or not) that is already in the game, BUT, it does not work.

Some of you are saying that it is not yet ready. I doubt this because it would just be a matter of coding the barrel sway when the bipod is deployed and this would be a relatively simple thing to do when compared with say, ballistics and wind simulation. And remember that we had to get ACE as previously stated, to use a bipod in Arma 2. Has anyone fired the MK48 Mod 0 in crouch behind cover? Pointless.

The rest are saying that it is not a necessary feature which I think is ridiculous. To say that militaries the world over will spend a small fortune on developing and purchasing good bipods so that the shooter can be more accurate and suffer less from fatigue (forearms in the prone position will tire). So the argument there is that bipods are critical to SAW gunners and snipers. Someone show me a video of a sniper hitting a target over 800m away without either a bipod or something to rest the rifle on.

So basically all I'm saying is bipods are needed and that if they are already in the game, then make them functional.

Oh and sorry to post on an old thread but its better than starting a new one (and I never looked at the date :D )

Edited by PRM Commando

The stock support gun sucks balls, it has a bipod which cant be used, at least for now. I was always a M249 guy, This is the worst gun I have ever seen!

Single shot or full auto which is the worst. DO NOT PLAY THAT ROLE OR KIT! Its fer sure Death. You will be lucky to get off 1 or 2 killd with insane IN accuracy before you get shit upon!

I guess the balance they did to the LMG class (higher recoil when prone) is offset by its much larger mag capacities which allow you to waste 100 to 200 rounds at once.They should be called the sprayer and prayer class instead.

I don't see how the recoil is that bad for the lmg. At 400 metres it is relatively trivial to keep bursts within a 2 metre grouping while in prone or even the sitting stance. Add in weapon resting that extends this to 500 metres and bipods that extend this to no more than 600 metres and I think that is a pretty fair balance.

is offset by its much larger mag capacities which allow you to waste 100 to 200 rounds at once.
You probably already know, but an LMG that fires off a 500+ rounds in a firefight probably doesn't get more than 10 hits (Of course depending on the exact conditions though). And those aren't all necessarily kill shots. They aren't spraying and praying, but an LMG isn't supposed to be as deadly as, say, a Designated marksman. Just because you miss doesn't mean you're fire is ineffective (in reality - in arma not so much unfortunately). Edited by -Coulum-

Having fired off lots of rounds IRL (army reserve) I can tell you that firing with anything but the bipod is almost useless. The recoil is quite heavy esp on the larger MGs like the Mag 58. True, the MG isn't a sniping weapon however part of its purpose as a squad support weapon is being able to put a great deal of fire downrange at the enemy allowing your infantry to advance on them (whilst their heads are down). To do that you still need to get rounds in the general area, usually with 2-3 round bursts. Firing the MG with a bipod in this fashion IS quite accurate over 100m or so, even further when you practice it. Its the bipod that makes the difference.

I can't believe BIS put out an MG in ARMA3 without one, esp with recoil being modelled quite well in the game (esp for said MGs). I happened upon a squad of inf in ARMA3 when attacking the fort (Domination mode)...after blasting away initially with 2-3 round bursts then longer....I didn't hit a thing.

there are 2 mods for weapon resting....

Are you seriously suggesting mod as a solution for this issue? This needs to be a core feature, period.