kwhy

Voice Activation for Arma 3 via VAC Builder Profile and other software...

Awesome to find this thread! I've just started using this with jojotheslayers profile and what a great way to play, it felt a bit strange at first but can't see myself going back.

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the system to understand some things while in game, for example if I command assign team blue it assigns green or red and viscera, is this more I need to train my computers voice module to understand my speech?

Edited by Katipo66

Awesome to find this thread! I've just started using this with jojotheslayers profile and what a great way to play, it felt a bit strange at first but can't see myself going back.

I seem to be having a bit of trouble getting the system to understand some things while in game, for example if I command assign team blue it assigns green or red and viscera, is this more I need to train my computers voice module to understand my speech?

Katipo66, that's the same profile I started using with Arma2, it's really great. And once you get everything up and running just the way you want it the AI are a pleasure to use; most of the time anyway, lol. I've just started writing my own VAC profile for Arma3 now that I'm reasonably comfortable with the VAC Builder. As for you having trouble with the AI not understanding you sometimes I had the same issues to begin with, but once I'd spent more time training windows speech recognition and started pronouncing my words more clearly it was all good. Hope you get everything sorted.

Katipo66, that's the same profile I started using with Arma2, it's really great. And once you get everything up and running just the way you want it the AI are a pleasure to use; most of the time anyway, lol. I've just started writing my own VAC profile for Arma3 now that I'm reasonably comfortable with the VAC Builder. As for you having trouble with the AI not understanding you sometimes I had the same issues to begin with, but once I'd spent more time training windows speech recognition and started pronouncing my words more clearly it was all good. Hope you get everything sorted.

Thanks Bear, ok time to brush up on my English and start training my speech recognition.. off to get to know VAC Builder and curious about writing my own profile and things.

Will also check out some of the other profiles in this thread, good times :)

Edited by Katipo66

DoRo, which key are you using for 'push to talk' in VAC?

Mouse Button 2, it is a smaller button just left of my Left Mouse button

DoRo, for now may I suggest that you change your VAC push to talk key to a button on the keyboard instead of a mouse button eg. L-WIN for the left windows key. But it's also important to check in game under Configure, Controls, Keyboard that the button you choose for push to talk is not bound to any actions in game eg. 'G' for throw grenade. Also look in the dropdown named Show at all the subcatagory key bind items, although if you choose to use L-WIN you should be reasonably safe if your using the default Arma3 key binds, but it's always good to check, just to make sure. The reason I suggest changing to a button on the keyboard is to make sure VAC's push to talk is working as it should in game. But I also remember having trouble myself with using a mouse button for push to talk, if I remember correctly I couldn't get it to work properly so I changed it to the left windows key.

Katipo66, eventually writing your own VAC profile is the way to go when all is said and done, it's also a good way of learning all the AI commands and the VACBuilder in general.

DoRo, of course another way to do it would be to go back to using voice activation for VAC but use a short cut key to switch VAC on and off as needed.

DoRo, but I guess if your set on only using a mouse button for push to talk with VAC then the only thing I can think of would be to use a mouse that has programmable buttons eg. The R.A.T. series of gaming mice. You could then have one of your mouse button's programmed and bound to a keyboard key which you'd set in VAC for push to talk, making sure that the push to talk key wasn't bound to any in game gaming keys of course. The only down side might be that you'd need the mouse controlling software running in the background when in game, and depending on your setup that might not be an option.

Wow. I decided I`d try this out.... being as how I used MS GameVoice and a coupla other VACs for the original Flashpoint to control my A.I. squadies. It seems the Key command structure for ARMA 3 to fully control your A.I. is not ready for prime time as of yet. Well, not if I wanna make my own Profile from scratch. And from the looks of it so far, it seems like it`ll tke more effort to make a Profile than it took with Flashpoint. But I`ll try to keep an open mind. Hopefully BIS simplify the A.I. command keys. Once it seems like there is something built in to go with, I`ll revisit trying to make my own Profile.

Here is my VAC profile page if you would like to try it: I will continue to refine the controls as I progress. When Beta and Final arrive, I will also add control for the new unit types.

I did a couple more videos to test and refine the profile. Not perfect but I'm working on it.

Hi -

I have you done any more work to this since posting?, I had a couple suggestions based on the profile I saw on that link you posted. This is my first time using voice myself too I brought the VAC program only a day ago for use with games like this and space sims.

I thought some things could be improved here is a list of things I would have done.

Way-points

Could be abbreviated.

Next Waypoint: "next point"

Prev Waypoint: "last point"

---------- Post added at 15:42 ---------- Previous post was at 15:37 ----------

Here is my VAC profile page if you would like to try it: http://www.simulationhq.com/vac/. I will continue to refine the controls as I progress. When Beta and Final arrive, I will also add control for the new unit types.

I did a couple more videos to test and refine the profile. Not perfect but I'm working on it.

Hi -

I have you done any more work to this since posting?, I had a couple suggestions based on the profile I saw on that link you posted. This is my first time using voice myself too I brought the VAC program only a day ago for use with games like this and space sims.

I thought some things could be improved here is a list of things I would have done.

Way-points

Could be abbreviated.

Next Waypoint: "next point"

Prev Waypoint: "last point"

I also thought about adding some additional variations to the same command such as, regroup would be issued by saying "regroup" or "on me"

Edited by ledhead900

There is also Articulate, which is being developed specifically for Arma 3. It's pretty early on in the game for them but it's quite decent. So if you want to play arround with the idea and see if voice controls is worth it for you give it a try. It's FREE.

http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=22940

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?166228-Articulate-Squad-Voice-Command-Utility-for-Arma-3

I was using VAC for a few days & then suddenly it just stopped working. I can go into the VAC Builder & Test Phrases and it recognizes everything that I say. I don't have any buttons to Activate or Deactivate so that it always listens. I have the blue P and the green O both on, indicating that it is working. I thought maybe I had installed a mod that interfered, so I ran Arma 3 with no mods & had the same result. I then reinstalled Arma 3 and still had the same result. Any ideas on this issue?

I was using VAC for a few days & then suddenly it just stopped working. I can go into the VAC Builder & Test Phrases and it recognizes everything that I say. I don't have any buttons to Activate or Deactivate so that it always listens. I have the blue P and the green O both on, indicating that it is working. I thought maybe I had installed a mod that interfered, so I ran Arma 3 with no mods & had the same result. I then reinstalled Arma 3 and still had the same result. Any ideas on this issue?

Have you tried opening the program as an administrator? Also, if you try the program in a text editor for example do the keypresses show up when you speak the commands?

I also guess that it might be the admin rights. Another thing is that ArmA should be the only program which is opened on the desktop. If anything else is open in the background, a browser, an email client, etc. it is possible that VAC sends the commands to the wrong window.

Appreciate it fellas...I started as administrator (which I thought I had done previously, but maybe not) and minimized anything else that was open, and we're working again. Thanks!

I tried the speech recognition that comes with win7 (pro), together with "windows speech recognition macros" (free download). Somebody on these forums made a profile for it, the topic should be in the arma2 section somewhere.

Hi. Just wondering if WSR Macros is a good enough alternative to VAC? I was also looking for that WSRM profile but the link seems to be dead, know where I can get it?

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

I've been using VAC for a little while now, and I have encountered a little problem. When I play ArmA, I like to use a mod pack and for the simplicity and convenience I use PlayWithSix to launch my mod pack. I have not been able to get VAC to work with these mods enabled, which I find particularly strange as none of my mods should have anything to do with the commands that VAC carries out. Also I like to show off this amazing program to my friends so I tried to show them in a private server with both AI and my friends. When doing this I also launched the mods and of course it did not work. I checked if everything was running correctly and it was. Now, my question is: ''What is causing my VAC to stop working when it isn't working? Is it the mods that cause this problem or is VAC known to only work in SP-scenarios?'' Also: ''Does it depend on the script in the mission? Is there a certain script that the mission should contain in order for VAC to work?''

Thanks for (potentially) answering any of these,

Pvt. H. Schuthof

Certainly there's no reason why VAC shouldn't work with mods or in MP and I have no problem doing so. All it does is send keyboard commands to the game.

All I can think is that when launching with PwS it's doing something that's preventing VAC being able to communicate with ArmA. Maybe you're not running both as Administrator?

Alpha-Kilo:

Do you still provide the german profile? I don't see anything in your signature?!

THanks!

Hello,

A little bit old topic, but I have one question.

Playing with VAC is great fun but I have problem with setting a profile using ACE3. 

Does anyone have VAC profile compatible with ACE3?

Thanks for any potential answers :).