Sign in to follow this  
mrcash2009

What is the fog like in Arma3 compared to 2 (poppins and so on)?

Hi,

I may get bitchslapped by a moderator for asking something in the wrong place, searched but didnt see much.

I dont see a mass amount of videos (please point me in the right direction) that shows off bad weather and rain too much, but more important in Arma2 the fog (poppins of distant abject coming into focus of fog) were like something out of 2001 engine.

I realise 3 engine has been massively updated, and I wondered if anyone can demonstrate the fog? Volumetric? Whats it like now as regards popping? Still a white sheet .. or smooth and realistic? At lesser foggy view distance does it cause much FPS hit (strange question I know) when rendering?

Sorry, its quite a specific thing but I couldn't see much about it and I know a mod was being created (Dmarwick ?) to create such fog for arma2 but I dont think it worked out correctly.

In fact, if people can post anything, screens or vid links to weather aspects, fog,snow,rain ... low visibility and so on, it would be nice to see this.

you can get an alpha lite invite and see for yourself. Looks pretty decent to me. Of course you can ruin it with settings :P

it's very bad at the moment. entire mountain sides popping in and out of the fog depending on view angle, etc.

Hi, thanks for those Images it is more improved, shame to see that its still pop-in friendly (at the moment) though.

I wonder if it will ever fully resolve itself? Interesting.

you can get an alpha lite invite and see for yourself. Looks pretty decent to me. Of course you can ruin it with settings :P

Not for me, will be waiting post full release of arma3 to justify it and steam use.

Not for me, will be waiting post full release of arma3 to justify it and steam use.

Come ooooooooooon, I have one left for you, right here :D

Its better this time, the fog is really opaque even before objects pop out. As I was playing with Alex yesterday and he had this awesome mission running I was looking down a street seeing shit. And slowly like a freaky ghost there was this guy coming out of nowhere, I actually needed some seconds to identify him as an enemy because of the fog, I just a slightly silhouette, was AWESOME! Some other things are still kinda strange, one mountain in the background pop out but the objects on him where still there, but I think thats just alpha related, still its a lot better then in A2 where you always had the feeling your view distance was set to 500 meter -.-

LJ

Hi, thanks for those Images it is more improved, shame to see that its still pop-in friendly (at the moment) though.

I wonder if it will ever fully resolve itself? Interesting.

Well the Alpha Lite is free, so why not test for yourself?

A really nice new Feature: You can set wave height. Driving a small boat through a storm is fun!

Thanks Jarhead,

Off topic:

For the record I am using XP on my rig (music creation reasons with drivers of older outboard gear with no updated 7 drivers and so on which is the main use of the unit) & wont be upgrading yet, I have Vista sat in a box but that was always shitty. Also I am not really interested in a test phase, I would much rather hold back until the entire thing is fully loaded is unleashed with a bunch of already bug fixed and updated mods and addons. Happy to kick back and watch the show, Arma2 does what I need right now & upgrades justified later once i see what rigs people are happy running it on as its released, and of course the end results after beta.

If it turns out super fantastic then I am bran new to it on full patched release, than reporting issues.

Anyway, off topic, but ok ... looks like fog is ticked off the list :)

Edited by mrcash2009

this just in.

but I wonder if AI can see through it which would be a shame. Edited by Dwarden
video tag

this just in.

but I wonder if AI can see through it which would be a shame.

Would be simplicity itself to find out - just have an OPFOR AI looking down a road and approach him at different fog settings & see the engagement differences.

That new fog feature would make me switch to dev build :) hopefully though it'll make it into he stable build this week.

Sorry to bump I was late on the info and Dyslexi video with this. Well, well .. exactly what I was asking about :)

Nice work BI .. I was thinking it would be sacrilege to have anything like Arma2 fog in this, looks very nice, makes for some very creepy missions indeed.

@Dmarwick I would have thought you were especially interested becuase wasn't it you that tried the fog mod for Arma2?

Would be simplicity itself to find out - just have an OPFOR AI looking down a road and approach him at different fog settings & see the engagement differences.

The question is (I am not partaking in alpha BTW) what was the results?

Nooooooooo mrcash! Get the alpha mate! I have a lite key if you want.

What he said! Hell, just buy the alpha for the discount and then come on back in beta! :lol:

Oh for the love of god .... I dont have a rig to run it currently which I have explained in previous posts, so I cant if I wanted too (and at the moment if I had choices I wouldn't). I am waiting for release then upgrade on full release (and still debating ref steam).

So ... can someone just please answer and stop telling me to buy it and find out, its forum not a shop!! :)

I know you chaps are only helping (thanks allot for that I appreciate it :) ) Im kidding mainly, but I have to ask as I am happy with playing 2 and will wait until 3 arrives in full, until then Im just going to be nosey git and ask questions that may not have been asked.

Soooo ... Ai with fog view distances, is it in? Will it be? How do they react?

Edited by mrcash2009

Sorry to bump I was late on the info and Dyslexi video with this. Well, well .. exactly what I was asking about :)

Nice work BI .. I was thinking it would be sacrilege to have anything like Arma2 fog in this, looks very nice, makes for some very creepy missions indeed.

@Dmarwick I would have thought you were especially interested becuase wasn't it you that tried the fog mod for Arma2?

The question is (I am not partaking in alpha BTW) what was the results?

Yes I made a "sort-of" fix for ArmA 2 fog, and it worked pretty well. As for the new altitude-dependant fog in ArmA 3 - it is sublime. I am really, really impressed and happy with it. No more pop-ins (or at least vastly reduced to almost nonexistent) and the various fog values at different altitudes seems to affect the AI appropriately. It particularly suits Chernarus with its valleys and hills, particularly when you realise that towns & villages are nestled within these valleys and can provide for some very atmospheric times.

ArmA 3 is worth it just for this :)

Oh for the love of god .... I dont have a rig to run it currently, so I cant if I wanted too. I am waiting for release then upgrade on full release (and still debating ref steam).

So ... can someone just please answer and stop telling me to buy it and find out, its forum not a shop!! :)

I know you chaps are only helping (thanks allot for that I appreciate it :) ) Im kidding mainly, but I have to ask as I am happy with playing 2 and will wait until 3 arrives in full, until then Im just going to be nosey git and ask questions that may not have been asked.

I didn't say that you had to actually download and install before full release... ;)

I didn't say that you had to actually download and install before full release... ;)

Its ok mate, I was sort of joking as well about it not actually angry or anything, in some ways im saving the experience until its properly exists and also as I mention the steam "thing".

Hi DM, thanks for the post, well thats one thing ticked off on my justification list :)

"The steam thing" is a fair reason, just be aware that the price will go up sooner rather than later, then again at full release, without you having gotten any extra content for waiting since alpha buyers get all of the "post-alpha" content for free anyway.

Heck, speaking of "suits Chernarus with its valleys and hills" -- if you already have Arma 2/OA, then that's even MORE reason to buy Arma 3... just for All in Arma.

I realize I am late to this thread, However, I would suggest you wait to buy the game.. until its $60+ (USD) I mean who wants to save money ... Really saving is overrated... And steam.. Pssh F steam... always updating the game... Giving me the latest version as soon as its pushed out.. Who wants that..

:rolleyes:

I realize I am late to this thread, However, I would suggest you wait to buy the game.. until its $60+ (USD) I mean who wants to save money ... Really saving is overrated... And steam.. Pssh F steam... always updating the game... Giving me the latest version as soon as its pushed out.. Who wants that..

:rolleyes:

You missed a crucial part of my post then, you weren't late to the thread, just missed the point of it.

Just to spoon feed it again:

I dont have a rig to run it currently

Just wonder if people can get over that and talk about game features.

Ok, so I didnt miss the point at all.:j:. People have already commented on the fog and posted a video ... that has already been addressed I wanted to reiterate that you should just get the alpha .. and wait for the full game.. that way your not paying double.. but cheers to you if you want to wait for the full game, and pay more.. On top of upgrading your rig. you are talking about getting the game when it is complete, how is your rig going to handle it then? you made a statement that seemed like it was about buying the full game then upgrading your pc. It was vauge.. .You dont have to install the game once you have bought it. but you can save money for your build by purchasing/preordering the game.. You just don't "currently" have access to the alpha.. Just want to save you some coin..

The AI visibility is affected by the fog. The three fog array variables give you really neat level of control. And as long as you have your object render distance set at a good, distance. then you shouldn't see objects pop into view.

Edited by Lordprimate

Ok, so I didnt miss the point at all.:j:. People have already commented on the fog and posted a video ... that has already been addressed I wanted to reiterate that you should just get the alpha .. and wait for the full game.. that way your not paying double.. but cheers to you if you want to wait for the full game, and pay more.. On top of upgrading your rig. you are talking about getting the game when it is complete, how is your rig going to handle it then? you made a statement that seemed like it was about buying the full game then upgrading your pc. It was vauge..

Short of explaining my life situation to you, I will be upgrading once the game comes out becuase I want to see it played "fully" and tested post release (blogs reviews/forums/benchmarks) on rigs of that time and not prior to invest in a rig that will last at that time. If im forking out for a expensive rig the cost for a fully fledged complete release game is least of the financial issue, and if all mods are ported over by that time and bug fixed, plus all new features and campaign of a full game, then to me that will be money and cost deserved.

So thanks, but I think I have it well covered. I was just taken back how some people were surprised that there are people here that are not partaking in the alpha, its not the oddest choice to make. Oh and by the way, I would then be bran new to the game and not used to it on release so it would be a fresh bag of lego and toys to get used too than spoil the fun now, if I decide to get it.

The AI visibility is affected by the fog. The three fog array variables give you really neat level of control. And as long as you have your object render distance set at a good, distance. then you shouldn't see objects pop into view.

Great thats the main feedback I was after :)

Edited by mrcash2009

But they will still know where you are and will shoot through the fog (past your visible distance range) to engage you.

Edited by Masharra

But they will still know where you are and will shoot through the fog (past your visible distance range) to engage you.

True, but this is due to a different issue, the KnowsAbout issue that Metalcraze identified. However, the AI will not detect you through the fog if it doesn't already know about you.