Sign in to follow this  
rambofrogger

Foliage Flickering

Here is a video of what I am getting:

This only happens with the foliage(trees, brush) and everything else runs smoothly. So far I've tried rolling back my drivers(I've tried about 6 of them so far) and the problem still persists so it's probably not a driver issue. Anyone have any idea what this is and how to fix it? Thanks.

High settings. I've tried using all low, and max settings. I've tried turning off/on all other settings(aa, post fx, etc) and the problem persists. I get a steady 50 FPS with high settings and the minimum they drop to is 40 with a max of 60. I've rolled back drivers, monitored gpu/cpu heat, cleaned tower of dust. At this point it is looking like a hardware issue, possibly a faulty gx card, but I'm hoping someone here knows more then me and can confirm or deny this.

My gx card is a HIS 1gb 6870 hd turbo, intel i7 2600k 3.4ghz, 8gigs ram, 800watt ps, p8p67 deluxe motherboard

Welcome to arma, this has been an issue for ~10 years now with the devs having varying success in eliminating it. It has almost been removed in the latest versions of arma 2 but seems to have come back with a vengeance in arma 3. It's to do with the LOD transitions and AFAIK the only way to reduce its effect is to run the game off a RAM disk or SSD.

Hmm in this case it's something different. Those are not the LOD's but squared black patterns appearing on the foilage. Have you tried disabling ATOC?

What is ATOC? And I actually run Arma 3 off a SSD, a very very fast one =) I'm not sure what this ATOC is though.

---------- Post added at 04:17 ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 ----------

Ok, so I figured out what ATOC is, and it has been disabled all along. So that is not likely the issue.

I would say it's an ATi problem, as usually. Maybe just the 6xxx generation, maybe others too. It definitelly can be a driver issue, if they don't care about fixing it, it'll still be there no matter how many drivers you use (remember how long did it take them to make crossfire working in A2). Maybe you can try updating your card's firmware, or try different driver settings, or...get used to it :)

I'm not sure if this is a Arma 3 issue though, because this has happened before to other games. Crysis 1 did this but much much worse, and to this day still does it, while Crysis 2 runs great. Deus Ex HR does this as well when I try to run in dx11 mode. At the same time other games run dx11 fine with no issues. Far Cry 3, Witcher 2, and Mech Warrior Online run perfectly on max settings. I JUST DONT KNOOOOOOW ANYMORE =(