Sign in to follow this  
Kellon

Game is already losing people due to hackers.

Since we cant do anything about it, the hackers are having a field day. Not hackers but script kiddies, anyway first 10 seconds of the only server i could find that was not empty i get carpet bombed. SWEET and i see a huge decrease of players its a shame that its happening but oh well.

Saturday night myself and a couple of pals had a bit of a session and I say a bit because we joined 4 different severs and on each one we eventually all got teleported to one spot and blown to pieces. I stopped playing Dayz because of hackers... Lets hope it's sorted soon.

All I can say is that I hope BIS are smart and don't add into the patch notes when they've implemented anti-cheat that way they can catch the scripters red handed.

1. If servers would be properly configed (signature check on), this sort of thing wouldn't happen

2. there is no game released, it is an alpha.

Hi all,

well, I could say that this is an alpha and so on[, and that at this stage they have other things to do].

Instead I'd like to suggest, try to find a small group or get with some friends together, lock the server, and play with them in small sessions.

At least I have most of the time more fun playing with a small amount of players who do it serious than with a lot of guys who come in, do silly stuff and disconnect.

Sure, thats my personal opinion but I guess its the best way against those scriptkiddies.

1. If servers would be properly configed (signature check on), this sort of thing wouldn't happen

PuFu is right, we borrowed some settings from our arma 2 server cfg for our testing server and have not seen 'hackers' since, 9 times out of 10 their scripts were so poorly written they were crashing the server rather than annoying us with carpet bombs, there was the one guy flying around like a flying squirrel tho, that was actually kind of entertaining.

I suspect that by the time of the full release most of the hackers will have got bored. Also, I suggest joining a group if you want to take ARMA seriously, my self and a couple of friends are going to start a group after our A levels, that way we'll be able to host private servers and still have enough people playing (if all goes to plan.)

Those hackers are really a problem. I love to play the Wasteland-Modification, but often you play a bit, get some items and gear and then a hacker connects into the game and ruin it. One of those is called Jason, i saw him 2 days ago killing all people on servers and spamming the voice chat. The problem is, you can´t identify anybody by name, because they are not fixed to an account. On some serves this Jason is already on banlist i see, but there are so much others ruin this game by hacking that i think it will become a serious threat for public playing mods like wasteland or dayz (in arma 2). And if BI don´t stop this many players will loose their motivation to play the game already in alphaversion. I know its an alpha, but exact the same hacks has already being in arma 2 full version.

Sure, we all can play in closed sessions with password protection, but some gametypes won´t work on passwordprotected servers i think.

If the BI is interested in, i can give them some links where hacks are already sold. I don´t want to post them here, but i don´t know where to write or post those links. I´m not a hackuser myself, but i always take a look to search what is possible with hacks in order to be able to detect hackers (not everybody uses aimbots you can see instantly) so its good to know what they are able to do in order to harm a game.

I have yet to run into any of these issues. But also remember anti cheat is not put in yet. Just something your going to have to live with while testing for now. And remember, were testing =P Not playing a game =)

Sure, i know we are testing. But what should i test if i can´t even run more than 30min or 1h playing? Playing the game is the only way i can test something. The game gives me no crashreports or anything i can report to BI. So i´m just able to play, and to give my opinion here. And there are 2 problems i have. On the one hand crashes to desktop without any crashreports or dumps, on the other hand many hackers ruin onlinegames. I´m not talking about those players spawnkilling their own team, i´m talking about people who uses scripts to take control of servers and serverbehaviour. I saw one today who was able to change daytime while playing. I joined and it was deepest night, walked 5 min around, then all were teleported to one position, it was day and he killed everybody.

And tell me, what should i test instead of gameplay when the only possibilty is playing online or creating own coopmissions?

Playing the game is the only way i can test something

You can test a huge swathe of things - bug squashing, performance, animations, textures, models, checking the scripting commands work as expected, checking AI works as expected in various situation, physx experiments, sound, effects, terrain (floating buildings, invisible walls and that sort of things) and a whole host of other things. Multiplayer is somewhat an added enjoyment bonus as well as being very good stress test, and if you idea of Alpha testing revolves purely around playing multiplayer 24/7, then you're missing half the game/test (granted, there are going to be those best suited to alpha test MP, SP, Scripting, modding, etc

The game gives me no crashreports or anything i can report to BI

ArmA generates a continuous report file you can send in the event of crashes, bugs, hackers, etc. Search for ArmA.rpt.

The problem is, you can´t identify anybody by name, because they are not fixed to an account

Copies of ArmA have a playerID system, which is what the ban gets hold of, not whatever name you decide on. Works the same as an account (although clearly not as effective)

Do you really believe that BattlEye from ArmA2 could not have been used for the A3Alpha?

[ ] It's an Alpha

[ ] Start as administrator

Dude...:huh:

no Problem about losing players already.. We have more than enough of them :D

Try passwording/locking the server and play with trusted people until BIS releases their security Updates

1) Nope, 2) not an excuse

Not an excuse, rather a fact.

Rgds

LoK

I'm not too concerned about the hacking (it is alpha), although I am somewhat disappointed it is happening already.

One of the big turn offs with previous versions of Arma was the relative ease in which players could exploit the engine...

It has gotten impossible to test, play, or anything for that matter thanks to the scripters. It doesn't matter what server or mission I join, there is either a hacker already there or one joins within 15 minutes to kill everyone. You can't say "Just deal with the hackers for now. We aren't supposed to be playing a game, we are supposed to be testing". You can't do either with scripters running wild unless you happened to have access to a locked server.

Hopefully B.I. has something good in the works for security. Everything about ArmA 3 so far is great, except the scripter problems. I actually think its running pretty good for an Alpha.

As many have already clearly explained, if you are disliking the fact that there are a large number of people exploiting in servers, get a group of like-minded people, get on Skype, TS or Steam and fire up a password protected server for yourselves and play till you get bored, crash to desktop or fall asleep (any ArmA veteran's know this is a distinct possibility).

You are more than welcome to report people for exploiting in servers to BI, but keep in mind, it's a development build, with minimal content that is constantly being worked on, so bear in mind your reports may not get very far when they are concentrating on content.

As for the statement that the Alpha is losing players due to exploiters, this may in fact be true, it may also be due to people taking the advice of veterans of the series and joining existing communities, getting on password protected servers and having an absolute blast.

Regards,

Austin.

Multiplayer will just have to deal with taking a back seat to the actual game development

1 - properly configured sig checks DO work - no they will not stop 100% of the hacking.... but it does GREATLY REDUCE the number of incidents

2 - Read the EULA you agreed to when you bought the alpha

1 - properly configured sig checks DO work - no they will not stop 100% of the hacking.... but it does GREATLY REDUCE the number of incidents

Agreed, however some public servers would rather not have to lock their servers down from pubbers. We find having a member on the server to watch what is going on and have an admin hop in when needed usually stops the negative acts quickly and lasts for a good amount of time. Sadly I wish none of this was necessarily but this is the world we must deal with.

Once Server/BE/rcon etc releases=problem solved just have to tough it out til than. A1 an A2 had same probs at beginning it eventually died down.

Arma was never really designed for public servers, this isn't BF3.