rickybigpants

Arma 3 Linux Version ?

this entire thread and all this going back and forth when the solution is simple: install windows on its own partition and setup grub to boot into 7 when you need to play arma, otherwise go back to recompiling the kernel in your spare time. All this time and effort spent tring to figure out ways to get around the fact that your not using windows to get it working. you could spend a couple of hours install windows, install ms security essentials,install your *nix favored browser and skip both java and flash and your done, infact your system is now already more secure than 99% of normal windows users.

That certainly isn't ideal as it requires both rebooting and purchasing a Windows license (if you want to do things legally, that is).

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. While I'd love to see Arma 3 cross-platform, I recognize that for BI it may not be the best possible investment. So while a port would make me think "OMG, BI are AWESOME DEVELOPERS," that doesn't mean I don't think "OMG, BI are awesome developers" right now. :)

That certainly isn't ideal as it requires both rebooting and purchasing a Windows license (if you want to do things legally, that is).

Unfortunately, we don't live in an ideal world. While I'd love to see Arma 3 cross-platform, I recognize that for BI it may not be the best possible investment. So while a port would make me think "OMG, BI are AWESOME DEVELOPERS," that doesn't mean I don't think "OMG, BI are awesome developers" right now. :)

I agree, and it's sad to see this topic constantly trolled and shilled (in this thread and others) into a ridiculous Microsoft vs. Linux thread which its Author and proponents clearly did not intend.

I'm personally not emotionally invested in Windows, or Linux (I collect Operating Systems), and have zero brand loyalty -- ergo if someone makes a better something I'll buy that one, or both if each offers something the other does not...

My only investment in this thread is in hoping that BI its Fan and Supporters recognizes the opportunity cost of a problem > solution approach; that while it may work in code development; as an approach to market, licensure, and venue -- has taken bigger unsuspecting and unprepared companies then BI to their knees with too little too late...

Being co-dependent on an onerous (and vulnerable) company like Microsoft for your well being is a lot like trying to get along living near Grizzly Bears by making them your pets -- this only works out until they get hungry, bored, or anxious and regard you as food or in the way...

The Microsoft Legal Team has a bigger hourly budget then BI grosses annually and can dispatch a company the size of BI just out of competitive spite, or need of Attorney fees, or boredom faster then a Grizzly can turn a man into strawberry jam -- this isn't conjecture, they've done it, repeatedly...

BI is a fantastic company, that builds and supports excellent games like no other Developer/Publisher. They offer expandability, mod tools and very long term support that have made BI games one of the best bangs for the Gamer's buck in existence. It would be tragic to see this jeopardized.

Platform portability and agnostic design is a smart long-term hedge; having all your eggs in one basket, in a cave, with hungry bears and 'Soft Target' signs with bright red arrows is never a good idea.

happy too see my thread has had so many comments ..I originally asked the question because indeed i saw something online about there being a linux version but as one poster has already mentioned it must of been to do with a dedicated server linux version.

I know this sounds selfish but i hoped that if there was such a version due then i would be able to ditch windows once and for all ,it the soul reason i have windows running and i guess for a lot of people the same is true to be able to run games such as Arma .

in no way am i a fanboy of any os over another if it works i use it if it doesn't i wont im too old to argue the which is better than which ,would of been nice to finally wave goodbye to m$ though :)

1 last thing to add BIS are doing an amazing job on Arma III and no way is my thread a criticism of them. BIS is one of the few games companies left making pc games that embrace mapping and modding and they get 100% of my support for sticking to the principles other games companies have ditched a long time ago.

That's easy to stick to when no one else will even try to step on BI's turf and force BI to change... unlike DayZ. :p

Arma 3 native to Linux would be interesting... I wouldn't be surprised if that at least in part would be waiting on seeing what Valve is actually doing as far as Steam for Linux (beyond Ubuntu) and the maybe-hypothetical-maybe-not "Steam Box" OS...

Linux is my main OS (BODHI) and windows is just there for gaming, a linux version would be nice :) i recently got guild wars to work on my Linux laptop :) but then again that is n old game.

there was and may still be a company I think called cedega that was specializing in making windows games work on Linux and then of course there is wine :) but right now the devs should just focus on getting A3 working the best they can.

I have to admit I lawled pretty hard @ this thread. The biggest troll calling people that actually cited their sources trolls, and then demanding they apologize, brilliant. Oh and the convoluted analogies were also a hoot.

I'd love to see ARMA on as many OSes as possible, the chance of a linux client happening w/ their current staffing & code base seems highly unlikely. I'm no game/graphics programmer, but even just porting the DX10/11 aspect to OpenGL would be a major undertaking in what little I know about the topic. That being said I still dream of a post launch release of a OS X/linux client.

I have to admit I lawled pretty hard @ this thread.

Oh yeah, it's just LOL! So much LOLROTF! I bet you actually LOL'd!

The biggest troll calling people that actually cited their sources trolls, and then demanding they apologize, brilliant.

First, I didn't call 'people trolls' I called one person a Troll -- which he is; he has virtually no time/posts on this forum, is in abrogation of the forum rules, and did not cite sources for any but one of his counter claims.

Second I didn't demand an apology, I said if he wanted citations he'd have to make the effort to approach me privately off this thread (per the forum rules), when that didn't work I suggested an apology; which any polite accountable person would understand...

Oh and the convoluted analogies were also a hoot.

I'm sorry you found them so convoluted and challenging; going forward, I'll try to simplify even more -- just for you... I'm also truly (sarcastically) sorry for not wanting to turn this thread into a Microsoft vs. SGI and the Khronos Group argument, no less a historical recitation of how OpenGL was purloined by the aforesaid, no less another idiot Microsoft vs Linux bottom of the barrel BS fest. Everyone has an opinion and a preference -- but facts are facts and are there for anyone to ascertain that is willing to make the mental effort above and beyond a constantly sanatized Wikipeida.

Take a look on this:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/stompybot/heavy-gear-assault-0/posts/492404

I'm just a baker of this project :)

It would be sooo wonderful if only BI would do the same thing...

Yup, there's no reason this can't happen and many that it could... Just getting the ArmA games (all of them) off Xaudio and on a decent cross-platform sound renderer, sub-mixer and manager like FMOD would move the game forward to a SOTA audio back-end that would offer enormous dividends going forward that could pay for the cost of an ArmA port, even if ArmA 2 and 3 never were.

Edited by Hoak

First, I didn't call 'people trolls' I called one person a Troll -- which he is; he has virtually no time/posts on this forum

And again, I have no idea why you keep using that word in every reply of yours. When someone starts pointing at your forum post count and calling you names - you know you have won the argument and he has literally nothing else to say.

You do realize that to stop this name calling all you need to do is prove that:

a) Windows Desktop Manager is using OpenGL

b) Arma 2: Firing Range is a "derivative" of Real Virtuality engine

c) Only the "render backplane" has to be rewritten (if it isn't already) to port Arma to Linux

Just a couple of extraordinary claims you made in this thread to support your Linux port argument.

Yup, there's no reason this can't happen and many that it could...

That Kickstarter is all the reasons you need: $800k needed to port to Linux/OpenGL, $37k raised so far.

Just getting the ArmA games (all of them) off Xaudio and on a decent cross-platform sound renderer, sub-mixer and manager like FMOD would move the game forward to a SOTA audio back-end that would offer enormous dividends going forward that could pay for the cost of an ArmA port, even if ArmA 2 and 3 never were.

You can argue that the actual Arma XAudio2 implementation may be lacking right now in features, but the library/API is very good. Plenty of UE3 games choose to use XAudio2 as a sound engine instead of the FMOD/OpenAL alternatives. Again, proves how little you know about the stuff you write.

And again, I have no idea why you keep using that word in every reply of yours.

You 'don't know why', because I don't use it in 'every reply' -- only those that reference you, and your trolling. To make certain your confusion is allayed I use the word in reference to you because: you are a Troll, a Shill, and you are trolling -- it's a fact, not an insult and again not used in every reply.

When someone starts pointing at your forum post count and calling you names - you know you have won the argument and he has literally nothing else to say.

Oh, so you 'won', congratulations! A life achievement I'm sure... Did you want a special prize? You obviously have a very different definition of the word 'know' then most people that understand the meaning of the word and intend in any context of empiricism...

You do realize that to stop this name calling all you need to do is prove that:

You do realize that your sentence is a sophomoric non-sequitur, that I'm not 'name calling' (you are trolling), and I don't need to 'prove' anything -- the facts exist independent of your ignorance of them, and that your criterion of 'proof' doesn't satisfy anything...

That Kickstarter is all the reasons you need: $800k needed to port to Linux/OpenGL, $37k raised so far.

Another one of your informal fallacy arguments, that's also a non-sequitur...

You can argue that the actual Arma XAudio2 implementation may be lacking right now in features, but the library/API is very good.

It's is not 'good' and it's not merely 'lacking features right now'; it's cheap (free actually) and is being used in ArmA primarily for that reason. It's sub-standard in terms of fidelity, has a broken sub-mixer, doesn't do proper distance and geometry culling, doesn't support proper steradian boundary effects and many other capabilities beyond your understanding, rational apprehension and the scope of this thread that are essential to realistic scale audio that can not and never will be supported on Xaudio2...

Plenty of UE3 games choose to use XAudio2 as a sound engine instead of the FMOD/OpenAL alternatives. Again, proves how little you know about the stuff you write.

Many? Proves? Obviously, in addition to being a Shill you you don't understand the meaning of 'proof', the insignificance and miss use of 'many'... Some Developer/Publishers choose to use XAudio2 because it's: 1) free, 2) is portable, and is supported by some other tools for reasons 1 and 2...

All of which proves nothing other then you're still trolling; keep it coming until you achieve your intended outcome and this Linux thread (and a few others) are locked then you'll disappear from the forum just like you have elsewhere -- and someone will give you a head pat and the recognition you so badly need...

Edited by Hoak

Okay, there's clearly a problem in this thread, and instead of reading back to the beginning and handing out infractions for ever abusive comment, I'm going to put it to you, the people using the thread:

§1) No Flaming/Flame-baiting/bigotry

Abusive, racist, sexist, homophobic comments (or any other type of bigotry), personal attacks and name calling are not allowed either on the forum or through Private Messages. If you receive a Private Message that is abusive or you find offensive please forward it to a moderator who will investigate.

Flame-baiting is also not tolerated; flame-baiting is making a post to someone that is obviously intended to elicit an angry response. Mocking/teasing/ridiculing someone or the point someone wants to make is also flamebaiting. This also applies to other areas of the forums such as leaving visitor messages on people's profiles, messages posted in social groups, as well as quoting someone against their wishes in your signature to belittle/tease/mock them. If someone asks you to remove something they posted on the forum from your signature you must remove it. Common sense tells you that posting someone's Private Messages without permission is also flamebaiting and will be punished.

§17) Report rule violations

If you see a violation of these rules on the forum, do not reply in the thread but send a Private Message to a moderator or use the "Report Post" report.gif button instead. Replying in the thread will be considered as spam. Reporting posts contributes to a well structured, well disciplined forum which benefits everyone.

There is a reason why trolling, flamebaiting, and abuse are mentioned in rule number one. And there is also a reason why we ask people to report rule violations.

If someone is trolling, for instance, instead of calling them a shill, for example, and breaking the rules, perhaps you should report them. Likewise, if someone is being abusive and calling you pejorative names, you don't have to accept that.

If these problems do not stop immediately, and if rational discussion doesn't replace the name calling, I will go back and administrate every rule infraction in the thread.

Please report rule infractions and do not engage them. Replying to rule infractions is considered spam.

Sorry for necroing, but in case anybody sees this thread, the game is working natively on Linux.

I was scrolling through my games today, saw Arma 3 and got super excited, downloaded it, played it and it worked great!

The only drawback is that it's an older version and on the store page it still doesn't appear as a Linux supported game.

Either way this means that there is a working Linux version and full support is most likely going to come very soon.

cpazlhfoty.png

Well, thats a first step. Lucky penguins, steamos is pushing more developers to offer linux ports. first steps first - still a long way to go. i did not check recently - but linux on steam has less then 2%. 

I really hope this will change asap.