Sign in to follow this  
dmarkwick

Particle alpha - negative values no longer glow.

Last night I generated some fire particles with an alpha of -1, previously in ArmA2 that value would retain the full colour of the particle and make it "glow" at night. However in ArmA3 that doesn't seem to happen. They are rendered as per any other texture, dark.

Is this part of a change in the way particles/textures work or is it a bug in ArmA3?

Last night I generated some fire particles with an alpha of -1, previously in ArmA2 that value would retain the full colour of the particle and make it "glow" at night. However in ArmA3 that doesn't seem to happen. They are rendered as per any other texture, dark.

Is this part of a change in the way particles/textures work or is it a bug in ArmA3?

I hope its a bug or there is another way to make it happen. Not sure why they would change that.

I haven't de-pbo'd a file since OPF days or I'd look but are they saving DXT3 or 5 with full Alpha channel rather than 1 bit? The color of the alpha channel could dictate shininess/glow like it does in other games. Skyrim comes to mind. Take a look at other alpha channels from the ... Alpha.

I haven't de-pbo'd a file since OPF days or I'd look but are they saving DXT3 or 5 with full Alpha channel rather than 1 bit? The color of the alpha channel could dictate shininess/glow like it does in other games. Skyrim comes to mind. Take a look at other alpha channels from the ... Alpha.

Well it doesn't matter what they're doing, as it's my particles that are not behaving the same way from ArmA2 to ArmA 3 :) but as far as I can see, even their own fire particles are not glowing until there's an actual light under it.

I noticed in a night-mission that I couldn't see a campfire in the dark. It gave off no light.

Well it doesn't matter what they're doing, as it's my particles that are not behaving the same way from ArmA2 to ArmA 3 :) but as far as I can see, even their own fire particles are not glowing until there's an actual light under it.

I don't know if that is the case here but I noticed yesterday when was taking some SS to get the new muzzle flahses (they are not particles, right?) that when the weapon is fired, the muzzle flash appears and only after it dissapears the surroundings are iluminated. Kind of hacky but it works on normal speed.

Aren´t there special emitting textures now in Arma 3? The M-ATV has a texture that´s labelled "emit" (The dashboard labels)

The lighting needs adjustment in some areas. In some situations, normally just after dark or just before dawn, and possibly under certain overcast conditions, things that should light up the immediate surroundings seem to emit very little light. It can be pitch black but when you fire your weapon, the muzzle flash is barely visible and does not produce any ambient light. Same with chemlights and street lamps.

There's a ticket for the lighting bug. Someone put a link to a similar ticket in the comments, but alot of people are voting that down because they have misunderstood the issue. Although that ticket does have alot of discussion and repro steps, etc.

Edited by 2nd Ranger

The lighting needs adjustment in some areas. In some situations, normally just after dark or just before dawn, and possibly under certain overcast conditions, things that should light up the immediate surroundings seem to emit very little light. It can be pitch black but when you fire your weapon, the muzzle flash is barely visible and does not produce any ambient light. Same with chemlights and street lamps.

There's a ticket for the lighting bug. Someone put a link to a similar ticket in the comments, but alot of people are voting that down because they have misunderstood the issue. Although that ticket does have alot of discussion and repro steps, etc.

I noticed this problem too last night, lights seem to light up the area as you would expect when it's complete darkness, but in semi-dark the light emitted drops to nearly nothing.