bad benson

midrange terrain texture replacement

awesome! having over 30fps on avg w the new map and it became muccch nicer now. thanks

hey Predator.v2,

can you please confirm, if the key and sigs work? would be nice. thx

Thank you - Have chosen Sharp 2 and This is wonderful. I cannot thank you enough.

This was the only thing I felt missing in Altis. Now the island is complete. Thank you for your work :)

I prefer strong, mostly because i spend much time scoped. It feels the most natural, and with "sharp" textures sometimes tiling is too visible, especially in far distances, like when you're looking around at the highest mountain of Altis, or from air.

Strong FTW, big difference from helicopter :) This addon was mandatory, like so much others... Thank you ! :)

tested a couple of things.....strong is my new favorit too :) its more 3D like rough baked bread :p

Let me also join the choir singing your praises BB.

Just thought I'd check - I've tried running Sharp 1 and found it a touch too sharp for my liking (Though still a massive improvement over default). Are the other options - Orig, Orig2, Medium, and Lite - less intense versions of Sharp 1, or are they alterations of the default map textures? Thanks!

Just thought I'd check - I've tried running Sharp 1 and found it a touch too sharp for my liking (Though still a massive improvement over default). Are the other options - Orig, Orig2, Medium, and Lite - less intense versions of Sharp 1, or are they alterations of the default map textures? Thanks!

all textures are new. "orig" are just the textures i used in the very first release (can't remember what "orig2" exactly is). i'd recommend using "strong", if you are looking for something balanced. if that is too much still, then try "medium" or even "lite". "strong" should be fine though. it's less intrusive but has enough effect to be an improvement.

the "sharp" versions have been mostly made to create more camouflage for units that are on that surface. they work great for that but the side effect is that they make the terrain look pretty dark which can cause bad transitions between close and mid/long range.

Thanks for that Bad Benson - I messed with a few variations yesterday and settled on Medium. Just enough added detail without making the scenery overly-dark. Thanks again for your work - brilliant stuff :)

no problem. glad the different versions are actually used :)

Hi BB, great addon thanks :)

Don't know about other people, but I'd find a labelled screenshot comparison quite useful. Would save a bit of shoeleather when trying out various options :)

Would save a bit of shoeleather when trying out various options

just sharing the "shoeleather" i collected during creation of this..."tweak texture...pack pbo...restart...tweak texture...pack pbo....restart...repeat for eternity". :p

just kidding. i'll make screens for Altis when i get home.

So is there any new Bis fixes for mid textures? Glad there is this addon.

NICE thanks, hope this could take effect for me. Why don't keep working on it?

No disrespect to you, Bad Benson, but I feel that you and others in this thread may be interested in Gamma Dust's very promising efforts in this area. Check it out:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?151752-Alternative-Midrange-Detail-Texture-experiments

i see no disrespect in that. i still think you don't need to revive this old thread to advertise another thread that is already on top of the list. :p i saw his efforts and i'm really excited about them since it might fix the airport concrete issue. but then again. this is not the thread about that.

EDIT: no offense taken. i'd just rather not have me or others reminded that i still need to update my signatures :o

Edited by Bad Benson

Is this fix still working well for everyone? It seems to have stopped working for me. Just wondering if it's something on my end.

Is this fix still working well for everyone? It seems to have stopped working for me. Just wondering if it's something on my end.

Just been playing some of the Campaign(Stable Branch) and it's working fine for me.

This is excellent, good work on improving something that should be in the game by default.