bad benson

midrange terrain texture replacement

the second pair of screens shows exactly what i mean by the distant and close detail being out of sync. the original goal was to get a seamless transition and not make the distance look as if it has more/higher grass than the close proximity. as for the concealment yes it works better but the effect also differs too much in distant and close view. the grass on stratis isn't lush and high enough to justify the effect the combination of the hard coded sink in feature and the black patches creates.

anyways some/enough people seem to like it so i will add it into the pack along with another version between this and the strong version. you will have to wait for a signature for the ultra until at least tomorrow though since i'm kinda busy with another project at the moment.

EDIT: slight misunderstanding cleared up

My experimentations are here.

Edited by gammadust

EDIT: ^wow. i guess that came out wrong lol...

ok two things.

1. the texture you used doesn't seem to be suited for the task since the shadows in it are too directional, as in, the grass bumps/shrubs have the shadow on top where the light should be coming from.

2. while im have no problem at all with people playing around with this i'd like to remember you that this is the release thread for my addon and i'd like you to keep the versions mania limited please to avoid confusion and requests for more versions being included. feel free to use my config (since it's a BI config with one line changed anyways) to create your own addons as long as you don't use my texture in it or modified versions of it.

and if you do so please do it in a separate thread.

again no harm in doing all this but please let's keep this from getting out of hand and on topic :)

Edited by Bad Benson

the idea of hight contrast texture is not bad, but it looks way to much, like dried dirt in the desert (does it look in reality like that?) In reality, people with right camo, should blend with environment. But i say we are on the right way. Thank god BIS for it community, what makes thing that aren't right better^^

Aside of the contrast considerations (which come a bit with taste) the chalenge i think will be to have a sufficiently versatile texture that sufficiently fits the different terrains. This of course lacking the technique of the engine suiting a given texture on the basis of a "logic map" as suggested by NordKindchen‎.

the idea of hight contrast texture is not bad, but it looks way to much, like dried dirt in the desert (does it look in reality like that?) In reality, people with right camo, should blend with environment. But i say we are on the right way. Thank god BIS for it community, what makes thing that aren't right better^^

I totally agree NeuroFunker, the ULTRA texture isn't perfect yet and any improvements are always welcome, but it's miles better than the vanilla alpha texture so lets hope the devs can take a look at this sometime and get it right for the finished game.

the second pair of screens shows exactly what i mean by the distant and close detail being out of sync. the original goal was to get a seamless transition and not make the distance look as if it has more/higher grass than the close proximity. as for the concealment yes it works better but the effect also differs too much in distant and close view. the grass on stratis isn't lush and high enough to justify the effect the combination of the hard coded sink in feature and the black patches creates.

anyways some/enough people seem to like it so i will add it into the pack along with another version between this and the strong version. you will have to wait for a signature for the ultra until at least tomorrow though since i'm kinda busy with another project at the moment.

I completely agree, but the gameplay impact of such strongly contrast mid textures is huge, and, in my opinion, very positive.

It's ugly, the contrast is far too high, but it gets the job done.

It's ugly, the contrast is far too high, but it gets the job done.

Yes it certainly does get the job done, selecting suitable camouflage patterns is now highly important, before camouflage patterns and ghillie suits were nothing more than decorative costumes, I mean snipers might as well have been wearing tuxedo's because it made no difference to gameplay when fighting at medium and long range.

I increased my view distance to test out the ULTRA texture, the results left me speechless.

... when i find the time i will be playing around with it and see if i can come up with something more pleasing to the eye.

That would be very cool. The ultra version is indeed pretty good functionally to camouflage players at the midrange, but it's just too ugly through optics. I'm sticking with your "strong" version for now. But if you can make an intermediate version that takes the functionality of the Ultra, but makes it less jarring like your strong version, may be that sweet spot.

Thanks again!

ok guys. this is the final release. (first post updated)

download ->http://www.sendspace.com/file/yyhkx1

i added 3 new versions. they are sharper and should look better through the scope. there's also a server key included now.

the goal for this addon is to provide a texture replacement for the default midrange texture. my priority was/is to create something pleasing to the eye that resembles what you see close up and thus creates a seamless transition between close and mid/long range. while i agree that harsh black noise creates a lot of disruption for the eye and that the high contrast version posted by SQB-SMA indeed makes it hard to spot enemies i will not include it in the addon for the following reasons:

again my goal is to create something that fits stratis. the harsh fake shadows the "ultra" version create are not only unpleasant to look at through the scope they also make the terrain in the distance look way darker than it is supposed to be. furthermore the grass on stratis doesn't justify such a strong concealment effect at all. again the goal is consistency.

while i encouraged experiments i have to admit that it kind of pains me to see the result since my focus was aesthetics and i put quite some time into the texture.

as a compromise i created some new versions.

sharp1 - it has the darkness of the ultra version but looks a lot better through the scope

sharp2 - toned down version of sharp1

sharp3 - further toned down version

http://i.cubeupload.com/jaijy7.gif

http://i.cubeupload.com/N1hE3f.gif

http://i.cubeupload.com/qkR7s1.gif

i would appreciate if someone could post some more screens of the 3 versions. would help a lot.

for the future:

feel free to experiment with the textures for private use (do what ever you like). if you release something however (that includes posting download links in public places) release it as a separate version with a new name in a new thread. and don't use my textures or modified versions of them for your own addon!. SQB-SMA can of course keep his link up since some people seem to like his version and i see no need to further complicate things.

don't use this thread for arma 3 mid range rendering dicussions or discussions about your personal versions of my addon. this is a release thread in the "addons: complete" section which should be used for feedback (positive and negative;)) and bug reports referring the actual addon.

again: i have no problem whatsoever with people playing around with this but please keep in mind that this is my personal work and that this thread is just a support hub for the addon. i am really busy with other stuff right now and can't be checking this thread everyday so please stay on topic. i already suggested to gamma to make a thread in the "addons: discussions" section called "mid range texture experiments" or something where you guys can make your experiments and keep playing around.

there will be no further versions because i think the amount of versions should be more than enough...

many thanks Benson and Predator for the screens! sharp1 is my favorite now.

Edited by JumpingHubert

Another gallery here. (Sets of 3, in order: 1 / 2 / 3 - both out and sighted)

Great job benson! Hard to choose between sharp 1 or 2.

Fantastic job on these new textures Benson! I just tried them out, I think sharp 2 is probably the better choice for me, little bit less contrast. But it's great to see a texture where the dark areas make sense.

Very cool. Will try out in game, but seems sharp 2 has that ideal balance. Sharp 1 really does help in hiding troops (as seen by gammadust's shots). But it's just too intense / ugly through optics.

Thanks again Bad Benson, this mod has given the game a great visual boost.

I will test these out soon, thanks for all the screenshots guys. One thing for sure is that compared to these texture mods the original texture looks damn crap.

OK after rigorous testing I now prefer Bad Benson's 'sharp1' version, IMHO it's the best overall version. It's almost impossible to spot stationary infantry at distances of 200+ metres without the aid of optics (in fact it's even quite difficult to spot moving infantry at distances of 200+ metres), and spotting prone infantry at those distances will certainly require skill and optics, and the textures now look far more natural without all the dark black patches.

I'd like to thank Bad Benson, SQB-SMA and everyone else who contributed feedback and screenshots, it's been a pleasure seeing the mod evolve into something that is so beneficial to gameplay. Bring on the ghillie suits!!!

Edited by Kuskov

Every time I look the latest awesome combination of efforts that this thread and the minds behind it have produced, I nearly lose my shit! :cool:

I DIDN'T KNOW IT COULD LOOK THIS FREAKIN GOOD!!!!

Why in sweet goddamn had BIS not done this themselves and mapped to the sat/map texture type?

maybe they havew already - but it wasnt high priority for alpha itself.. for now this mod will work just rgeat