Sign in to follow this  
bearbison

Digital Compass Bearing

Digital Compass Bearing mod

This adds the ability to have a digital compass heading (bearing) in either a hint box or the original text mode which can be toggled on or off.

Note: The k (default compass) key is the toggle key

Thumbnails:

Old text style:

th_BEARB_CHoldstyle.jpg

New hint style:

​th_BEARB_CHnewstyle.jpg

Requirements:

CBA - Community Base Addons

Signed:

Yes (key included)

Installing the mod:

Extract the contents of the downloaded file into the ArmA 3 Directory and install CBA_A3.

Launch ArmA3 with the following launch parameter:

-mod=@CBA_A3;@BEARB_CH

Changing the display style:

To change from the new hint method of display to the older text method, open the file userconfig\BEARB_CH\BEARB_CH_Settings.hpp and edit the value for BEARB_compassheading_old from false to true.

/*
BEARB Compass Heading Settings file
Determines if the old (text) or the new (hint) display method is used for the digital compass bearing
false = new style (in hint message)
true = old style (in text on screen)
Created by [RIP]BearBison
*/
BEARB_compassheading_old = false;

Download:

v3

http://www.armaholic.com/datas/users/a3_bearb_ch_v3_9749.7z

v2

news_download_a3_3.png

Changelog:

v3

• Fixes issues with sound in hint

v2

• Initial release (to match the script version number)

Note:

A script version is available for mission makers here

Edited by BearBison
Updated to v3

When I activate this, access the map, and then close the map, my game pretty mcuh crashes instantly. Does that happen to anyone else, or is it something about my computer?

When I activate this, access the map, and then close the map, my game pretty mcuh crashes instantly. Does that happen to anyone else, or is it something about my computer?

Mine doesn't crash however the game stutters quite a bit with this. Closing the watch sometimes keeps the bearing text on screen which then causes the stuttering. I have to spam K to get it to go away. Am running vanilla build.

Edited by SaL_iOGC

@scrim not sure why your game would crash from this as it is essentially just a slightly updated script that my clan have been using for about 6 months put into mod format for use in all missions, we haven't been able to reproduce this. Does your rpt file show you any details?

@SaL_iOGC again we have been unable to reproduce this error regarding the stuttering or having to spam the k key to turn it off. The only issue we have seen is that sometimes if you hold the compass key down when you release it stays in the same toggle state that it was in.

I did put the addon itself into Documents, Arma 3, and the userconfig into my Arma 3 Steam folder. Can that have caused the game to crash?

BB - will look into this and get back to you. Am up to date with everything (latest Nvidia beta on vanilla Arma). May possibly be something as prosaic as conflicting keypresses!! Will keep in touch as this is a valuable mod.

Updated bearb_ch.pbo.BEARB.bisign file as I messed up when packing it on old machine which didn't include v2.

Can be downloaded from http://www.rustyinplaces.org/armaediting/bearb_ch.pbo.BEARB.bisign

See first post for other links.

@scrim never tried installing a mod that way and not around my gaming rig for couple of days to test if that is an issue, got to ask though why put it in there and not the default way of in the main install directory?

I dont know if anyone else is having this issue, but when I use this and it activated - as long as it was activated, it cut my FPS in half.

scrim never tried installing a mod that way and not around my gaming rig for couple of days to test if that is an issue, got to ask though why put it in there and not the default way of in the main install directory?

I heard from a buddy that that was the recommended way of installing addons, and it works (well, at least with other mods). Don't even have to write any startup parameters.

I'll give this a shot the old usual way and come back to you.

Edit: Yep, problem persists.

Edited by scrim

I dont know if anyone else is having this issue, but when I use this and it activated - as long as it was activated, it cut my FPS in half.

Same issue here. Make my game stutter like a b*tch.

Using the text version and not the hint one seems to fix the issue.

The new bearb_ch.pbo.BEARB.bisign didn't do anything I'm afraid. I changed to the text version (old) and that fixed it. I kind of like it in that position anyway next to the compass. Happy now!!

the new bisign is only if you are running it from a server with v2 sig checks on, not a fix for the issues that some are seeing with stuttering, but looks like if that the solution to that one is to use the older text version.

@scrim, I am at a loss as to what is happening with your one, not sure what to suggest as not been able to reproduce it at all

Could you add a line into the userconfig to switch between digital compass "toogle" and "press".

So i dont have to press k twice but only hold k for as long, as i want to see both the analog and digital compass.

Edited by Predator.v2

Having a problem with this one in the new DEV beta - It keeps on beeping the hint when pressed - kinda annoying.

Any upgrade in the works that addresses this would be awesome.

Thanks

Had totally forgot about this since the compass got made bigger, should be an easy fix to get rid of the sound.

Will try and look at it this week.

I must ask... why make things easier and more... casual?

We need an anti hud mod, that.. I'd love ;)

Anyways, good work otherwise :)