Sign in to follow this  
Piratebear

Bug Report - Helicopter keyboard controls not complete

Version:

I have no idea where to find the version information but we're talking about the latest A3 Alpha Lite Steam build (stable) for the 16th of March 2013.

Summary:

Default binding of keyHeliFastForward[] needs to be removed.

Issue:

There's a whole shitload of bugs, I assume most will be fixed eventually. At least I hope so. Plenty of them are gamebreaking. I don't feel I should request too many fixes since I have never been asked to do so. Also, I have no idea how to post issues on the A3 Feedback page. So I'm typing shit here.

One issue pissed me off the most. After three not all too perfect showcase missions I was looking forward to flying the helicopter mission. After setting all keybindings to my liking, I realized that my helo would act weird. I isolated the issue to my right pedal (E) not working properly, instead of turning around the vertical axis, I rotated forward around the horizontal one for no reason which it did even after removing the bind. Checking through the options I did not find a single instance of the E button having a double binding. I needed to load up the config file in an editor to go hunt for the missing variable and I found it.

keyHeliFastForward[]={18};

This variable does not show up in the controls section, making it impossible for casual users to change their key bindings if they don't want to dig through config files. The value of 18 equals the E key. This variable has a standard binding and is not changeable via GUI as I explained. Until it gets mentioned in the controls, it should default to EMPTY aka {} to allow for helicopter flight if the E key is bound to anything else but the weird and useless fast forward command that is only used by the AI.

keyHeliFastForward[]={};

This is what it has to look like. Make it optional, for fluck's sake.

Personal Statement:

It is those easy to solve bugs that make me doubt A3 will get rid of most of its issues until the Beta release. It just feels like not many fucks are given and the missions have never been tested before releasing the Alpha. I'm just hoping A3 won't be as quirky as A2. The latter being my favorite war sim game due to the fact that there is little to no competition in that field. But even A3 has the "prone person suddenly standing up" bug that was ultra-annoying in A2 when it popped you out of cover and the same weapon movement restrictions (especially upwards and downwards) that prevent normal weapon behaviour and terrain-adapted combat and are just as messed up as in cheap MMS games like Cahl of Dewty. This is disappointing. It's an Alpha, so we'll see change. But the basis needs to be worked on sooner rather than later. If vehicle combat is relevant, you can't just add in random keybinds. And if it's infantry combat, you need to remove the infantry movement bugs. Rant over.

Please move this wherever it belongs.