Sign in to follow this  
Shadowesh

How Strong Will The PVP Scene Be?

well based on arma 2, public pvp will be non-existant(unless you consider wasteland and dayz). but private clans have always run pvp's so that would be your best bet.

Dang that looks good. Is that on ARMA 3? I see the watermark on the bottom saying ARMA 3 alpha but I thought Wasteland was only for ARMA 2?

It got ported fairly quickly to ArmA 3. There is another version of Wasteland coming as well, which is being built from the ground up, seems very exciting and is going to be much more balanced in regards to weapons and attachments and have more features.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more Sandbox PvP modes pop up, especially when Java is available and SQF doesn't kill performance. The server from that video turned off grass, which gave me an extra 20 frames, which made it very fun to play on, but sadly made the game a bit ugly.

anything you can do in quake, call of duty, etc isn't worth doing in arma. but the idea of island-wide war simulations is definitely appealing.

Hey guys, OP here.

Also when I ask about ARMA 3 PVP I don't mean mods like wasteland that change the core of the game. I mean like will the clan PVP for the vanilla ARMA 3 be good. Will there be clans fighting each other on a big maps in squads, with firefights and flanking and sniping full tactics with no respawn? ...If you guys sort of get what I'm trying to say :P

This existed in ArmA 2 yes. Look on youtube for "unitedoperations.net TVT" for example or otherwise as stated before. Project Reality mod for ArmA3 will try to bring teamwork orientated PVP games. I do hope dao.nu gets back online and will make and host new Valhalla missions for public PvP.

Wasteland, nuff said.

No, wasteland is pretty boring, and bad. Atleast for now.

Its mainly not fun at all, nobody likes to teamwork, wherever you go you get shot.

Dang that looks good. Is that on ARMA 3? I see the watermark on the bottom saying ARMA 3 alpha but I thought Wasteland was only for ARMA 2?

Anyways, that looks like the sort of gameplay I want in vanilla ARMA 3, not the whole surviving with food and stuff part, but especially that stuff the squad did near the end with the double sided flanking and stuff and taking out enemies. I can just imagine it in a no-respawn clan vs clan elimination game.

*had to take youtube link off, not a member for 1 day yet >.<

Here is the demo of what you want I think (clan vs. clan too). 81 players. Skip some time till the action.

For what it's worth, I have been playing since the original OFP a little over a decade ago and this is the first time that the movement has felt slick enough for me to consider PvP appealing. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this sentiment, so I would expect to see a vibrant PvP scene. Right now there are a bunch of servers running a PvP mode called Blitzkried, and I am having an absolute blast playing that.

I agree with this, it finally feels slick enough. I jumped on a PVP server the other night and it just felt like any other "run and gun, damn the consequences" FPS. Yawn.

I hope to see Project Reality early on, was a great mod for BF2 and has a good concept overall. It is tactical\realistic and easy to play once you get things clear.

Indeed. It was best PvP I've ever played in ArmA2. Too bad RGG clan PR community died.

But sort of community organized mini-tournaments or just random clan wars/scrims (whatever they would like to call them in ARMA).

Tournaments like Arma Wargames or Theatre of War for example? Every sunday ~ 35vs35 battle over an island fighting for specific "active zones" (or a different mechanic depending on the campaign) in an ~8 weeks campaign. You sign up for an army and will fight with that army during one campaign, and it's easily accesible without any real formal requirements (just the game and a mic).

Indeed. It was best PvP I've ever played in ArmA2. Too bad RGG clan PR community died.

Glad you enjoyed the Pr times didn't we all! :) In fact i believe that RGG Clan is still going as strong as ever.

It was only less than a few weeks ago they hosted a 100 man PR event on a few custom maps.

Was an awesome turn out that i thoroughly enjoyed it.

You or anyone should check out the PR forums regularly for any updated events and to secure you're place on a team.

as I'm sure their is some more grand battles ahead :)

Last events Opfor team photo

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l510/Daniel_Dale/eventall_zps2f5fa411.png (281 kB)

Edited by Kieran
Adding picture

Glad you enjoyed the Pr times didn't we all! :) In fact i believe that RGG Clan is still going as strong as ever.

It was only less than a few weeks ago they hosted a 100 man PR event on a few custom maps.

Was an awesome turn out that i thoroughly enjoyed it.

You or anyone should check out the PR forums regularly for any updated events and to secure you're place on a team.

as I'm sure their is some more grand battles ahead :)

There was public PR server that had 40-80 people playing every day! Last time I checked it disappeared and then I found thread on their forums where RGG member said that they replaced it with DayZ server because of lack of PR interest from RGG. Good to hear that private PR events are popular. I'm a bit off-topic...

No, wasteland is pretty boring, and bad. Atleast for now.

Its mainly not fun at all, nobody likes to teamwork, wherever you go you get shot.

This!

While it should be faction vs faction PvP, reality is that everyone shoots every one. It is one of those type of modes where shoot first ask questions later. I never like Free-for-all type of DM. Since it is anyway not serious game mode, they should implement some teammate indicators, which helps bit for team play. ATM, wasteland is nothing more that mindless PvP for better loot with some DayZ features like water and food which seems stupid to me.

Only good TvT (team versus team pvp) mode so far seems Blitzkrieg, which is really fun and people there usually do not shoot mindlessly. Territorial control type of game modes are always fun and needs more those. Also CTI type of modes are one of my favorites and can't wait when Benny releases first Arma 3 CTI map :)

the PvP scene will be as strong as the modding scene for it. now, I know Bohemia apparently has been working on PvP modes for Arma 3, but forgive me for being rather skeptical... so, if modders can come up with good PvP scenarios, people will be playing PvP

Wasteland ftw as far as I'm concerned. There could be a little tweaking to focus the main protagonists a little more but WL is an excellent compromise between reality and good gameplay.

As far as Arma3 being big PvP; well as a bit of an outsider I never considered FP or Arma as PvP games, they have a reputation as being sims where people want to play against the AI. The gameplay simply isn't fast or fluid enough to entice people. Obviously Dayz has introduced the engine to a lot of new people and since there's no sight of the next installment of the series I used to play (Delta Force) Arma (WL) seemed a good interlude.

If you want to see more active PvP then you would need concessions made to 'reality', by this I mean the introduction of more nebulous objectives such as King Of The Hill, TDM, and Advance and Secure (these may already exist in some form of Arma but afaik they've never been popular).

Also despite being a 'sim' the 3D gameplay element so loved by the majority of Arma players would discourage any self respecting FPS player as it simply rewards poor players and undermines good players. Take the video Oshi posted, great entertainment but if the same encounter was First Person then we all know how it would have turned out.

I can't be alone in being staggered by the irony of people who take the simulation of ammo and weapons so seriously yet want the ability to magically look over walls. This one feature is probably the most important when it comes to serious PvP.

for people who never played actual arma tvt, i suggest to check out some communities like UO, as it was already suggested. but to play proper tvt you should not be a 14 y/o retard who run anround and do whatever he want but follow your squad leader or fireteam leader. and this is why gametypes like wastelad or dayz are popular, because they require no organisation at all. it;s a concept we play together alone. while nothing can be as fun as tvt in organized squads with proper radiocomms etc. the question of maturity.

but to play proper tvt you should not be a 14 y/o retard who run anround and do whatever he want but follow your squad leader or fireteam leader. and this is why gametypes like wastelad or dayz are popular, because they require no organisation at all. it;s a concept we play together alone. while nothing can be as fun as tvt in organized squads with proper radiocomms etc. the question of maturity.

I guess you've never experienced the free-form grouping that often occurs in many PvP games, your loss as I can assure you it is an invigorating experience.

As far as the radio comms and squad organisation thing goes, I expect this kind of 'playing soldiers' appeals to the very same people who still play with train sets.

The people who worry about what colour shirt the squad leader has on or whether the frequency on the squad radio is correct and whether Whisky Tango Foxtrot is legitimate or not are not the people who are going to be any good at PvP IMHO. Afterall they're spending their time getting the feel of the atmosphere right rather than weapon handling, movement and cognition required to thrive in a true PvP environment where the enemies don't follow scripted paths.

I guess you've never experienced the free-form grouping that often occurs in many PvP games, your loss as I can assure you it is an invigorating experience.

As far as the radio comms and squad organisation thing goes, I expect this kind of 'playing soldiers' appeals to the very same people who still play with train sets.

The people who worry about what colour shirt the squad leader has on or whether the frequency on the squad radio is correct and whether Whisky Tango Foxtrot is legitimate or not are not the people who are going to be any good at PvP IMHO. Afterall they're spending their time getting the feel of the atmosphere right rather than weapon handling, movement and cognition required to thrive in a true PvP environment where the enemies don't follow scripted paths.

You're dead wrong on all points. I'd suggest actually playing in an organized tvt before making silly assumptions.

PvP is already massive.

Props to whoever hosts the Blitzkrieg servers, they are fun, have lots of people and run really really well. Thumbs up

And let me guess - you come to ArmA from DayZ too?

How about you come to an organized TvT server and try schooling people playing there? If running around ignoring teamwork is what you say is the best way - you will end up being a frag in the first few minutes of the game. And will have to wait for an hour until they will start another mission. Because surprise, these "feeling atmosphere" guys also play without silly respawn to increase stakes.

I find it funny how people who never played anything but public TDM in ArmA pretend to be real pros (and everyone else naturally has no idea what true l33t pvp is) - when the only price they pay for getting killed is waiting 5 seconds until respawn.

Edited by metalcraze

Greetings fellow bf/cod l33t pvp playa

I assume you just jumped into arma and you are still quite new around here and dind't get familiar with the game, which is okay thing afterall.

It may be really hard for you to understand that arma is game which is based on TEAMWORK and where lone person mean nothing at all. If you have assumptions that arma is some kind of general shooter where you rewspawn, go some zerg rush gunblazing and then respawn again you are a little bit wrong. Here in arma mostly everything is depends on tactics, which also used in military.

one fireteam consist of 4 people

one squad consist of 2 fireteams

one platoon consist of 4 squads

which most often means that you have around 32 persons only infantry, without air assets, tanks and lavs, on ONE SIDE which often goes like 60 vs 60 players.

now compare organized platoon of people who actually know what they are doing and have common goal to your marginal fun of "we play together alone" in your favorite bf/cod where everybody runs around like headless chikens.

now dear sir, may i ask you, did you ever was a part of massive organized platoon vs platoon tvt?.. i bet no. if you belive that ramboing or playing with 1-3 friends is "good" teamwork, you probably never experienced arma.

ah wait a secod.. may be all pvp fun as you imagine it is dumb zerg rush alone with respawn?... ah boy you surely do. and surely you know better because you are l33t pvp playa, right?

I would recommend you to actualy learn a thing you are talking about, otherwise, please do not jump into discussions you have no clue about. not like it hurt my eyes, but it make you look atleast stupid.

being as polite as i could with ignorant people who have no idea what they are talking about.

Sincerely,

n7snk

As far as Arma3 being big PvP; well as a bit of an outsider I never considered FP or Arma as PvP games, they have a reputation as being sims where people want to play against the AI. The gameplay simply isn't fast or fluid enough to entice people. Obviously Dayz has introduced the engine to a lot of new people and since there's no sight of the next installment of the series I used to play (Delta Force) Arma (WL) seemed a good interlude.
Mind you, from earlier anecdotes there's a perception going around (which I've seen on other boards) that the close quarters infantry movement and weapon handling has become both fast and fluent enough to entice -- heck, I managed to really impress someone at work with a TDM video, that had both stereotypical CQB (albeit to him with really impressive graphics) but then (the part that really struck him) also "only in Arma" moments like outdoor/open-air firefights (read: at "Arma exclusive" long distance) and nighttime gunfights without NVGs.
If you want to see more active PvP then you would need concessions made to 'reality', by this I mean the introduction of more nebulous objectives such as King Of The Hill, TDM, and Advance and Secure (these may already exist in some form of Arma but afaik they've never been popular).
I'm going to point out that there's been a recent spurt of TDM popularity, or at least videos of Arma 3 TDM, which in turn suggests that it's not a "more nebulous objective" -- or at least way more visible in terms of what people are playing (or broadcasting).

The very structure behind Arma mission design necessitates that in effect everyone making a PVP/TvT mission is creating their own "match type"; I'd say Vanz0r that if you like someone's such take, then spread the word and publicize their match, and encourage such match designers to be clear/overt in describing the match style/rules (i.e. in name in the server browser or in description when you enter).

The blitz servers that we run will often be maxed out running 64 players.....

don't think I've seen that in the oceanic region since OFP.

Just need BE back to get rid of all the script kiddies.

OFP had a pretty strong PVP scene. There were several world wide competition in CTF. It died out with Armed Assault and Domination maps though...

which goes to show how good Domination really is :D there are PvP versions of Domination anyway