Sign in to follow this  
Shadowesh

How Strong Will The PVP Scene Be?

Hi,

I am considering buying ARMA 3 off steam right now because it looks amazing and I want to join a clan and play some competitive scrims and stuff. It looks like a game that would be good for it. However I did some research about the competitive or just pvp scene of the game and it turns out that in the past, the pvp scene has always been poor and unpopular in previous ARMA games due to some mechanics of the game.

So my question is, will ARMA 3 be different? Will their be lots of clans that will scrim each other? Will there be a legitimate PVP scene or will it be just COOP VS AI all the time?

Thanks.

AUSARMA has a constant PVP server. Easily hitting 30 people at all times, I've seen 60 on. It's very fun to play PVP on A3.

Hi,

I am considering buying ARMA 3 off steam right now because it looks amazing and I want to join a clan and play some competitive scrims and stuff. It looks like a game that would be good for it. However I did some research about the competitive or just pvp scene of the game and it turns out that in the past, the pvp scene has always been poor and unpopular in previous ARMA games due to some mechanics of the game.

So my question is, will ARMA 3 be different? Will their be lots of clans that will scrim each other? Will there be a legitimate PVP scene or will it be just COOP VS AI all the time?

Thanks.

I suppose it depends on what you mean by "competitive scrims" -- there's a perception going around that the infantry movement and weapon handling changes have done a bunch to alleviate the past unpopularity of PVP, to say nothing of how some videos early on from ShackTac such as "
", "
", and "Arma 3 Alpha Multiplayer Gameplay" have seemed to solidly send out a message that "hey, Arma 3 PVP is actually fun and exciting!" In fact a quick search on YouTube seems to find a lot of results for "Arma 3 TDM", "Arma 3 Team Deathmatch" or even just "Arma 3 Deathmatch"... and even results for "
" (although an opposing player isn't visible until
) and "ARMA 3 - Underwater Team Deathmatch [Radeon 6950 2GB Crossfire, AMD FX-8150 4.8GHZ, 16GB RAM" (gotta skip to 2:24 to see an enemy though).

To me this suggests that there's a perception now that the capacity for "pick up and play" is greater than in any prior Arma game, even if (mainly? only?) in simple DM (or as COD might call it Free-for-All) and TDM, and that (and hell, the alleged rush of DayZ or COD/BF3 players) affects how people view this game, not least because of the promoting that a number of DayZ/Wasteland streamers/video uploaders such as

(the "sabotage the boat" is at 2:53, objective after that is at 5:45, the one after that at 10:28, and the last at 11:11) have done for the Arma 3 alpha.

I can't speak for how often clans will form, much less how often they'll organized arranged PvP/TvT, but there's intriguing signs on the horizon right now, such as the seemingly surprisingly high number of TDM, Sector Control and certain objective match types available on Armaholic compared to other multiplayer scenarios.

Edited by Chortles

For what it's worth, I have been playing since the original OFP a little over a decade ago and this is the first time that the movement has felt slick enough for me to consider PvP appealing. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this sentiment, so I would expect to see a vibrant PvP scene. Right now there are a bunch of servers running a PvP mode called Blitzkried, and I am having an absolute blast playing that.

There will be a PVP scene, either via missions or mods like Project Reality for Arma 3.

But most likely (and luckely), not a competitive scene if that is what you are looking for.

Also there will be RPG mods and missions that will allow you to do PVP, but it will not be their main focus.

Yep, after playing a bit off blitzkrieg i think it's going to be very strong, will be interesting to see what game modes if any ship with full game.

I think it has the potential to be huge. movement is easy and and fluid. weapons handle very well.

maps and killer game modes however are still a question. stratis is very lovely but starting to feel cramped.

lots of potential and am interested in how BIS supports pvp.

theres tons of different pvp situations for everyones needs, like wasteland usually 30+ players and everyones out to get you, or tvt work with a team to kill another team, mostly all pvp you can think of is already there or still being created.

Wasteland, nuff said.

Wasnt fun at all, nothing to do. Spawned and got in a pistol fight and that was it.

I hope we get some good co op missions too....That's what Arma is about for me,60 players vs the world.

Wasteland, nuff said.

Wasteland isn´t PvP it´s "camp the spawn" combined with "camp the gunstore".

I play wasteland a lot and enjoy it

since its PvP I can say that the PvP in this game works great and actually its a lot more fun playing against other players rather than the AI who runs out of cover for no reason.

Wasn't fun at all, nothing to do. Spawned and got in a pistol fight and that was it

Gather weapons from fallen enemies trucks and other vehicles than ambush people to kill them that's the idea behind the game mode.

Independent is the best!

For what it's worth, I have been playing since the original OFP a little over a decade ago and this is the first time that the movement has felt slick enough for me to consider PvP appealing. I'm sure that I'm not alone in this sentiment, so I would expect to see a vibrant PvP scene. Right now there are a bunch of servers running a PvP mode called Blitzkried, and I am having an absolute blast playing that.

This!

As well as the fact that almost all servers all joinable at this moddless state so staring at a friendly server list doesn't make my mind melt like it did in previous titles.

I play wasteland a lot and enjoy it

since its PvP I can say that the PvP in this game works great and actually its a lot more fun playing against other players rather than the AI who runs out of cover for no reason.

Gather weapons from fallen enemies trucks and other vehicles than ambush people to kill them that's the idea behind the game mode.

Independent is the best!

that sounds like deathmatch. horrible.

Definitely agree. I used to shudder at PvP before A3 however it's all I play at the moment...

Hey guys, OP here.

When I said the competitive PVP scene I didn't mean like hardcore MLG tournaments and stuff. But sort of community organized mini-tournaments or just random clan wars/scrims (whatever they would like to call them in ARMA). These sort of pvp scenes existed mainly in less heard of games like Mount and Blade Warband and somewhat oldies like Star Wars Battlefront 2 (for those of you who remember >.<). I'm definitely not talking about COD/CS/BF level competitive scenes.

Also when I ask about ARMA 3 PVP I don't mean mods like wasteland that change the core of the game. I mean like will the clan PVP for the vanilla ARMA 3 be good. Will there be clans fighting each other on a big maps in squads, with firefights and flanking and sniping full tactics with no respawn? ...If you guys sort of get what I'm trying to say :P

Wasteland is amazing if you know what you're doing, especially for team work. Really love the fact that organic teams can form, with people building their own bases where ever they wish. Arma 2 Wasteland is a better experience right now, but with people like Si Matra doing his own Wasteland for ArmA3 (and on the main island when it comes out) it'll be great.

Example of why I love Wasteland:

What you ask was in ArmA since OFP. Of course since you are talking clans here you are probably not expecting this to happen 24/7 - especially clan vs. clan games which have to happen at set times.

I have a feeling that people who whine that there's no PvP in ArmA are people who expect deathmatch gameplay with frag grinding. But buying ArmA3 just to play TDM is like buying Bugatti Veyron just to drive within speed limit.

I had my share of - let's call it - "tactical" PvP with clans and communities like United Operations. It's pretty great. It essentially turns into a battle of commanders ordering their squads and fireteams around to beat the other organized team. With improved movement and especially stance system almost straight out of Raven Shield I expect such PvP to happen more often in ArmA3.

But I guess time will tell.

Will there be clans fighting each other on a big maps in squads, with firefights and flanking and sniping full tactics with no respawn? ...If you guys sort of get what I'm trying to say :P

that is exactly what i want from arma PvP too. hard to say how much this will happen but it already happens and happened in arma 2. the thing is that it is even more hardcore than the game already is at its core so it will always be a thing for real dedicated people and will most likely happen "behind closed doors" so to speak.

i think more ready to use missions available to the public for exactly that purpose would help though. since most communities/clans don't release their missions publicly some people aren't aware of things like that even being possible or happening frequently. your best bet would be to look for existing clans in the right forum sections or on armaholic (i believe there is a section there linking to several communities) and contact them and or look at their websites to find out how much PvP they do.

i myself am not a member of any group but i played frequently on a PvP server by a group called cerberus 5 in arma 2. great people and great gameplay. no idiotic kids spamming the chat with rude comments. just good competitive PvP. i never felt what i feel playing games like bf3 where people constantly insult each other in the chat. it distracts from the hunting.;)

what i need to enjoy PvP is immersion and arma is the only game that can provide that for me.

I hope to see Project Reality early on, was a great mod for BF2 and has a good concept overall. It is tactical\realistic and easy to play once you get things clear.

Better game browser and the whole Steam thing may help to create a more friendly and diverse public scene (specialy on the PvP part). Semi\Closed communities will continue to do the same thing, cause it works.

Wasteland is amazing if you know what you're doing, especially for team work. Really love the fact that organic teams can form, with people building their own bases where ever they wish. Arma 2 Wasteland is a better experience right now, but with people like Si Matra doing his own Wasteland for ArmA3 (and on the main island when it comes out) it'll be great.

Example of why I love Wasteland: watch?v=lvVuQhLkYD4

Dang that looks good. Is that on ARMA 3? I see the watermark on the bottom saying ARMA 3 alpha but I thought Wasteland was only for ARMA 2?

Anyways, that looks like the sort of gameplay I want in vanilla ARMA 3, not the whole surviving with food and stuff part, but especially that stuff the squad did near the end with the double sided flanking and stuff and taking out enemies. I can just imagine it in a no-respawn clan vs clan elimination game.

*had to take youtube link off, not a member for 1 day yet >.<

If you want to do proper military TvTs there are a few public servers out there but for the best Arma experience in both coop and tvt I segguest joining a community that fits your play style. Communities in arma range from some really hardcore milsim types to very casual and everything in between.

I hope to see Project Reality early on, was a great mod for BF2 and has a good concept overall. It is tactical\realistic and easy to play once you get things clear.
It seems that PR: A3 is still planned but no public ETA.